SMC Discussion Areas
May 13, 2024, 03:03:02 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: wh22t cooler  (Read 8839 times)
northernjeepguy

« on: October 09, 2010, 11:14:08 pm »

Hello,
New to this so bear with me.  I recently acquired a wh22t in fairly good shape.  It cooled and all but when I went in to replace the electric cord all the wiring insulation shattered on some of the wires.  Must of been the original wiring.  being afraid of a fire hazard I am going to replace all the wiring.  My question is this, if I was to restore this cooler which is all red would it be an upgrade to do the white two-tone or paint it the original color of red?  By the way anyone have the paint codes for both the read and white colors?
Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thank you
collecture
Soda Jerks

Tom

« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2010, 11:36:01 pm »

Color scheme is really what you like - doesn't really have an effect on value; however, it might affect saleability.

The cooler is a big one though and not a highly collectible. Go into painting it, etc. with the knowledge that you may not get all you invested back out. I am restoring a 1960's Westinghouse right now, but it is for personal use and not for sale. I am putting a lot of time and money into it, but I also know I probably won't get my money back if I go to sell it in the future.

Cav 27, 33, CS-55E-2, 72
S-48 DP
Ideal CC 35, Barq's 55
1930s DP Counter Cooler
Vendo Coin Changers (ea. style - orig w/ stand)
Vendo Junior (rest.), 23 Deluxe, 39D, 44, 56RT, 80SS, 81A (orig), 81D, 6 C.V.
VMC 27, 27A, 81D DP, 110 DP
Westy WC-42-T, WC-44SK, WD-5(2), WB60
Victor C-14
davethebirdman
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2010, 01:05:26 am »

That's go advice from Tom...If its your own to keep then go with what you want...
If you are looking for investment you probably bought the wrong machine..
northernjeepguy

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2010, 07:09:47 am »

Thank you.  I knew it was a big cooler but thinking it was a good price I decided to buy it.  I know I should be able to get at least my money back when I sell it again. 
Looks like I'm sticking with the original color scheme.  Any help with the paint codes so I can touch up some things?
GreginNM
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2010, 05:22:57 pm »

Do a search on here for paint codes and you will find a few threads that discuss the correct codes.

Good luck, and welcome to the site!

Greg

Vendo: 39B, Standard
Jacobs: 35
Ideal: 35 DP
Westinghouse: WB-66-MD, WD-10, Junior, Standard
SelectiVend: S-48 DP x 2
SelVend: S-47 7up
loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2010, 07:50:59 pm »

If you think you will ever sell it I personally would not put the money into painting it. I have never seen one sell for more than a couple hundred and they are really hard to find a buyer at any price. I have been offered dozens of them and was even offered a nice one for free and passed it up due to its size. I am not putting your machine down as I like the looks of them but they just are not practical.
Creighton
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2010, 08:47:44 pm »

Welcome to the board!!
If just looking to touch up a few spots best to take a small part to the paint store and have them color match.
Creighton
northernjeepguy

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2010, 08:09:38 am »

Thanks again.  I'll look for those color codes.  The main part of the cooler is in good shape just looking at painting the top where it got worn out.
Guess I made a armature decision here with this.  I have a couple who are interested in it so might get it running good and let it go.
Thanks every one!!!
loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2010, 08:17:19 am »

Piecing in the paint will be very very hard. You will not likely get a match. However the best way to match to color is to take a small part to an auto paint store that has the ability to scan the color to get the code. they can scan the part and get you the code of whet the color is now. Even if you found the correct code it has faded over the past 50+ years. if the machine is solid red I would not try to paint only the top part of the machine. It will never look right unless you mean you are only painting the lids. That may turn out alright but I have seen people try to lay a tape line and only paint half of a machine and it does not turn out pretty.
collecture
Soda Jerks

Tom

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2010, 09:31:10 am »

I have a couple who are interested in it so might get it running good and let it go.

That is what I would do! Let us know if we can help and stick around - we'll help you find a machine worth the time and effort.

Cav 27, 33, CS-55E-2, 72
S-48 DP
Ideal CC 35, Barq's 55
1930s DP Counter Cooler
Vendo Coin Changers (ea. style - orig w/ stand)
Vendo Junior (rest.), 23 Deluxe, 39D, 44, 56RT, 80SS, 81A (orig), 81D, 6 C.V.
VMC 27, 27A, 81D DP, 110 DP
Westy WC-42-T, WC-44SK, WD-5(2), WB60
Victor C-14
northernjeepguy

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2010, 08:48:02 am »

Yes, I was just talking about painting the lids and center part.  The main chest is in really good condition.  The only reason I even considered painting the main cooler would to be to paint the white and red paint scheme that I have seen.  I'm in the process of finishing up rewiring the cooling unit (which had the original wiring and the insulation was breaking apart) and cleaning up the inside.  Then I'll be putting everything back together and hopefully finding a buyer.
Thanks again for all your help. 
loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2010, 04:05:22 pm »

This is just my opinion but if I were you and the paint is nice I would leave it all red. It is my understanding that Coke started painting these coolers white at the same time they started painting white top machines. They did this in the late 50's. Your style cooler started production in the mid 1940's so since your machine is all red it was made prior to Coke changing the color scheme. Not that it would effect the value but if your machine was made in the 40's or early to mid 50's having the white middle would not be correct. Also the original red paint will show some imperfections from age  and new white paint will be shiny and new and have no imperfections. I just cant imagine it looking correct. Also if your going to go to the trouble of painting the center white and painting all of the embossing on the cooler "which is a lot" you might as well repaint the entire cooler. It will look better in the long run and not be that much more work.

Again this is just my two cents and I may be wrong. In the end it is your machine and you should do what you think is best.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2010, 04:07:06 pm by loman4ec » Logged
northernjeepguy

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2010, 01:01:16 pm »

I appreciate your opinions, that's why I came on here to figure things out.  I also am not considering painting the main cooler as there is "reg trade mark" stamped on the side.  Looks to me that there was an after thought about Cokes rights to the name they forgot to put on the cooler originally and so rubber stamped this on the sides at each Coca Cola spot.  Am I correct?
New question and this may not be the right area to ask, my condenser fan motor wiring is shot.  Any way to disassemble the motor and put a new wiring harness on, is there someone here who may have a good one for sale or able to rebuild this one? 
Just got word from my wife she wants it done and gone.  I didn't expect the wiring to be so bad and don't want to send it on and have something happen.  So if I could get a reply on this last issue so I can resolve the issue quickly I would appreciate your help.
Thanks again everyone.  I do appreciate any and all ideas.
loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2010, 09:05:16 pm »

There is no reason to salvage the original fan motor. Go to Funtronics or thesodajerkworks and order a new one. They are exactly like the originals and it is much safer to have the new one. On every refurbished or restored machine I sell I replace the fan motors just in case. I don't want to sell a fire hazard and I feel a lot better knowing that there won't be a problem with the machine catching fire. I highly suggest buying new fan motors for both the evaporator and condenser.
northernjeepguy

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2010, 06:29:12 pm »

Seems like all I do on here is say "thank you".   So again, thank you, thank you, thank you.  I will take your advice and see if they have the one to fit both applications.
I'm gaining some trust in my fellow man with all your help.  It's a rare thing these days so keep it up!!!
Have a great weekend!
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: