SMC Discussion Areas
May 10, 2024, 11:31:09 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Stoner Jr. Restoration Questions  (Read 4755 times)
RetroMe
5 Cent Member

« on: October 04, 2010, 07:37:44 pm »

He guys I am smack in the middle of refurbishing my Stoner Jr.  I separated the top cabinet and base and removed the vending mechanism. Since this is my first restoration on this type of machine, I was surprised to find how simple these machines really are. (Good Thing) I should have all sandblasting completed within the next week and then its off to get some minor body work and painting. Now, questions for your guys.

1. The original lock was missing.  I will purchase a new one. Looking at various pics it appears there should be some sort of locking flat bar that runs vertical inside the cabinet. Since I have never seen a functional machine can someone explain to me how it works. I am sure I can manufacture the missing parts just need to understand how it works. Pics would also be awesome.

2. My door on my base was a poorly fabricated wooden knock off. I want to purchase a metal replacement door. Any suggestions?

3. One of the chrome bezel trim rings behind 2 of my pulls was dented pretty badly. I don't think it can be repaired. Any suggestions?

4. I need a replacement glass with the original decals. I believe Curtis at Memory Lane sells these correct?

I appreciate all information and suggestions.

Thanks
Craig
mznb1u
Soda Jerks

Those Who Stay Will be Champions!

« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2010, 10:02:57 pm »

If Curtis can't help you on all of your questions, I suspect he can point you in the right direction.  I know he can get you the glass with the decal.  On the locking bar, I will post some pics soon--waiting for them to transfer from the phone to the computer.  My Junior has a Gum Wheel but I think the locking bar is the same on all of the machines.  Post pictures of the resto becuase I would love to have the help when I get around to finishing mine.

drinking Tim drinking
mznb1u
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2010, 11:56:03 pm »

There should be two pieces of metal that form slots on the left side of the upper cabints.  One above the lock hole and one towards the bottom of the cabinet near where the candy display would line up.  See photos.

drinking Tim drinking
mznb1u
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2010, 11:57:47 pm »

Then there should be two upward facing "hooks" on the left side of the inside of the door.  These should line up in the slots on the cabinet.  See photo.

drinking Tim drinking
mznb1u
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2010, 12:05:54 am »

The locking bar is a long parallel flat bar that a perpindicular flat bar connected at a right angle on the top and bottom.  These top and bottom pieces have a 90 degree bend at the end that runs parallel with the front of the machine.  When the hooks in the door are inserted in the slots on the cabinet, this latch should engage in the slot and lock the door.  The lock will mount in the middle of this flat bar and turning the lock should engage or disengage the latches at the top and bottom of the door.

Pardon the less than technical terms but I hope the pictures help it all make sense.  There is currently no lock in the bar on my machine.  The first picture shows the upper latch.  I could not get a good shot of the lower latch.  The second picture shows the part of the locking bar where the lock would be mounted.  I am not 100% sure that this bar is complete because it did not have a lock when I got it.

drinking Tim drinking
RetroMe
5 Cent Member

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2010, 08:31:10 pm »

All of the locking tabs are in place on my machine. I really couldn't tell by your pictures excatly how the locking bar operates. I attached a few pictures from a few of Curtis's restorations as a reference. The new lock has a metal disk that engages the flat bar somehow. Is the flat bar fixed or does it somehow pivot to engage the tabs on the body/door? I know this is a simply mechanism but I am struggling to fully understand how it works. I can easily manufacture the mechanism since I have access to a full machine shop. Any sketches or dimensions would be greatly appreciated.  help
memorylane
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2010, 08:55:24 pm »

I do have the parts you need and can help you next week as I'm at the Hershey show all this week, if your coming there to the show call me and I can bring what you need. Talk soon, Curtis 301-991-3532  Memory Lane Restorations
RetroMe
5 Cent Member

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2010, 09:02:55 pm »

Thanks Curtis. I'll call you next week to order parts. Maybe you can explain the lock to me as well.  I appreciate your help. My stoner is exactly the same model as your M&M restoration you did a while back. Matter of fact our serial numbers are not that far apart. Go figure. Good Luck in Hershey!
mznb1u
Soda Jerks

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2010, 07:50:33 am »

The bar that the lock goes into slides up to disengage the locking tabs and slides back down to lock the cabinet. With no lock in the cabinet you can usually insert your pinky finger through the lock hole and lift the bar to unlock.
RetroMe
5 Cent Member

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2010, 09:34:01 am »

I do not have the bar as it was not with the machine when I purchased. So basically, I have a totally blank page with the entire locking system. I'll submit a few pics later this afternoon with a sketch with what I feel It looks like. I have noticed though the locking mech is not exactly the same between different model stoners. Don't know if this is by design or aftermarket reproductions.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: