SMC Discussion Areas
May 17, 2024, 05:48:48 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Embossed Letter Tape Kit  (Read 7913 times)
vendo39
10 Cent Member

« on: January 13, 2009, 11:41:03 am »

I just noticed this embossed letter tape kit on eBay. Bascially you tape over the letters, and then sand the tape off the raised portion of the letters and then paint.

http://cgi.ebay.com/EMBOSSED-LETTER-TAPE-KIT-FOR-YOUR-SODA-MACHINE_W0QQitemZ250352453779QQcmdZViewItemQQptZBanks_Registers_Vending?hash=item250352453779&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A7%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

Has anyone ever tried this stuff?  I've tried this method with painter's tape before with moderate success but I still prefer hand lettering.

Brian

Vendo 39, 44, 56, 81B
Vendo Changer, early
Vendo Changer, late
Dr. Pepper Queen Anne
Nesbitts Ideal 85

Popperette, Stoner JR, Stoner 180,
Stoner Theater, Mills Candy, Canteen Candy
GreginNM
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2009, 11:57:11 am »

I was wondering the same thing when I saw that listing!  Anyone know if this is worth while, or just a waste of money?

Greg

Vendo: 39B, Standard
Jacobs: 35
Ideal: 35 DP
Westinghouse: WB-66-MD, WD-10, Junior, Standard
SelectiVend: S-48 DP x 2
SelVend: S-47 7up
oscar
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2009, 01:33:37 pm »

The guy has posted some info at colamachines.com. If you could find that type of tape it probable would only cost a few dollars but you would have to experiment with different tape. Probable an automotive tape.
Kilroy
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2009, 02:31:18 pm »

There was a thread  a while back , I think Eric @ Global  compressors acheived the same results  with contact paper.
I'm too lazy today to search for it.

"Restored they go for $6-7,000!!"
Member : Michigan Mafia
Jim
Administrator
Soda Jerks

#1 Soda Jerk!

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2009, 03:56:56 pm »

I have never personally seen first hand a machine/cooler painted this way and there has been discussions on this very topic. Looking closely, it does seem that the paint edge is a little rough at time. I would think that particular attention is needed to ensure the tape line is clean cut and not a sanded finish as this will create a rougher line edge. just my six-cents...

My six cents,

Jim

bubba
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2009, 05:40:58 pm »

I tried that method without tape... just painting the sign white with many coats, then painting red over top of it. Once it dried, I block sanded the red off the top of the letters. I never got it perfect if you look close, but from 5' away it doesn't look bad. I never actually finished it. One of these days I'll finish it.

Ken

V-63 -Bottles
2-Cavalier USS-64
VMC ST56B Royal Crown - being built
Vendo HA56C Coke
2-V63C DP
V63C Coke
U-Select-It 5cent candybar machine
coke_and_stuff
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2009, 06:01:02 pm »

Save your money, buy some one shot sign paint and practice!

Joey

Collector of nice original paint machines

Vendo 81 B, C, D
VMC 81 Pepsi, 7up, RC, Generic
6CV Coke, RC, Pepsi
VMC 110 RC
Vendo 39
Jacobs 26
Mills 47
Selectivend 64 7up NOS
Plus 30-50 parts and project machines
Eric
Soda Jerks

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2009, 11:09:52 pm »

The way I will always go is vinyl masking....
I don't have a steady enough hand (or the patience) to hand letter.
On my Nichol Kola cooler.... before I had it blasted... I took
parchment paper and traced all the embossing.... scanned the drawing
then traced them, clean/straightened them in FreeHand (or you could use Adobe Illustrator)
printed those out, cut them out to be sure they were the same size as I had drawn.
they were perfect.... I then took the file/images in Freehand to my friend who owns
a print shop and had him print/cut them on his vinyl cutter onto vinyl masking.
Vinyl Masking is the same vinyl they use on vinyl letters on cars, signs, etc. with the
exception that this is made to peal back up...

So in my coolers case (red cooler white letters & logo)... Rick first painted the embossing
areas a slight off white ( I didn't want stark bright white), we then took the vinyl letters and adhered them to the embossing,  Rick then painted the entire cooler red baked it in his booth
then pealed the vinyl off and clear coated.. I mean you can't get closer than that... all letters
are clean and straight like they were screened on 50+ years ago.
I'm going to do the same with my coolers and machines... it takes time but once I have it
done I have the files forever...

This would be the way to go for the sides too “Have a Coke” and other wording....
But in those cases.... instead of pealing the stuff around the letter off then sticking the letters to the sides you peal the letters out and stick the surrounding parts to the side like a stencil and
shot the white or red letter on, let dry and peal the stencil off and you have painted letters.

Anway that's my 2 cents on this.. I know several of you guys have other ways and talents.. just
I tried handpainting once... ONCE was enough. down

Eric

WANTED:
Embossed Quikold Standard
Kilroy
Soda Jerks

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2009, 08:14:10 am »

I've been serious thinking of learning to screenprint,   There is a niche market  for glass on jukeboxes, and i wonder if  it could be used to paint the embossed lettering.
yeah, add it to my list of things to try....

"Restored they go for $6-7,000!!"
Member : Michigan Mafia
bubba
Soda Jerks

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2009, 10:09:34 am »

I've got a buddy that does it as a side business. He makes some decent money at it.

Ken

V-63 -Bottles
2-Cavalier USS-64
VMC ST56B Royal Crown - being built
Vendo HA56C Coke
2-V63C DP
V63C Coke
U-Select-It 5cent candybar machine
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: