SMC Discussion Areas
May 17, 2024, 05:48:35 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What to do with aluminum?  (Read 8243 times)
rugrunner
10 Cent Member

« on: August 07, 2009, 08:40:18 pm »

I am trying to spruce up my v56 enough that it is not an eyesore. The door is wrapped (not sure if that is accurate) in a 3 or 4 inch band of what looks like aluminum. It has the small dents and scratches that everything that is almost 50 years old has.  My question is what can I do with it? I am considering making a Guinness machine so I am not trying to restore it but only to make it look better. Can it be painted? Can it be sanded or buffed or some such?

Thanks, Bill
loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2009, 10:04:25 pm »

I would remove the aluminum on the front that is wrapped if i were you. Getting out the dents will be impossible. The silver aluminum trim in anodized and can be stripped and polished. That is what I did with this machine. This is a selectivend but the trim looked exactly like yours when it started. I sent it out to a chrome shop and they polished it for me and it really set the machine off. Every piece of metal that is shiny on this machine was anodized silver like yours when it started.
David D
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2009, 10:56:06 pm »

Bill, just take the door off, remove the aluminum overlay and you'll be good to go.
rugrunner
10 Cent Member

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2009, 08:53:19 am »

Thanks guys! That 7 up machine looks awesome!

I'm sorry but I guess I wasn't very clear. I did take someone's earlier advice and peeled the door and it is almost perfect underneath.

btw- can I do the same above the coin door? what's under there?

Anyway, what I was talking about is the thick looking aluminum trim that goes around the main door. I'm not able to send anything out at the present time
due to having bought 3 machines in a short time while only being semi employed due to housing market. My wife would blow a gasket if not a mail seal.

So if I can polish it any recommendations?

Thanks guys, this site has been my best find so far in this hobby.

Bill
David D
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2009, 09:49:07 am »

Bill,

On my machine the trim was rough,  so rather than putting to much $ into it I took it off and painted it a metalic silver and it looks much better than what I started with.  If I recall correctly the trim was a pain to get off, it had a ton of screws and tar holding it on.

David
David D
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2009, 09:52:12 am »

Photo
rugrunner
10 Cent Member

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2009, 10:05:24 am »

That looks great!

Mine has some decent gouges (up to 1/8 inch deep)

any ideas to prep for painting? Might do green for Guinness machine...
Larry
Grady
Soda Jerks

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2009, 02:18:15 pm »

I always use Flitz for my metal and Novus 2 for plastics.  Plus elbow grease and a clean cotton T shirt or micro fiber rag.

Here's a piece I polished by hand.

A lot of stuff.
BrianB
Soda Jerks

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2009, 05:45:10 am »

Popperette parts.....Gotta love em'!

My very first machine was a Vendorlator VF-117. It had the same coin entry bezel as most other Vendorlators of that era. For whatever reason I ended up having mine chrome plated along with the Coin release lever. Turned out pretty sharp!

Brian
loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2009, 07:11:13 am »

Brian,

I remember seeing that machine when I brought your C-55D. It was nice but TALL! I bet the chrome job cost a fortune.
rugrunner
10 Cent Member

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2009, 08:19:36 am »

Looks cool but I bet it was expensive as well.
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: