SMC Discussion Areas
May 18, 2024, 11:19:09 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: VMC-44 starting to go back together!  (Read 17922 times)
ld26
Soda Jerks

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2015, 11:41:25 am »

nice!, hey Jim what did you use to get the rack clean?

I love quikold coolers
www.quikold.com
jholmgren
Soda Jerks

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2015, 01:58:51 pm »

Thanks Lonny,
I used Simple Green (...a lot of Simple Green) with a non-scratch (blue) scrub pad for the basic 'de-gunking' and followed that with some 120 grit sandpaper to remove some of the stains and give the surface a key... then a light coat of an acid-etch primer and rustoleum hammertone spray as a topcoat.

Here it is before and after with the door attached.  The outside is still original, I hit it with some SG to clean the worst of it, Flitz to remove some of the oxidized paint and then a light coat of cleaner-wax.   The concept was to leave the outside intact as it is a nice original that shows decently but get the inside clean, arrest any rust and make it safe to use.

Before:

After:

Jim
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 11:06:53 am by jholmgren » Logged

Embossed Coke Ideal 55 Slider
VMC-44
Vendo V-80 
Westinghouse WE-6
ld26
Soda Jerks

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2015, 06:47:21 pm »

Awesome, I'm impressed man,  gonna use your method on the inside parts to the pepsi 81 I'm doing, thanks for the tips,

I think it's great that you kept the outside original too

I love quikold coolers
www.quikold.com
jholmgren
Soda Jerks

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2015, 10:16:03 pm »

It's all done guys!   drinking

Had to finish a few touches tonight.  Somehow after all the parts and pieces I disassembled, I lost the hinge pins  veryangry   I lost not one other nut or bolt.   A trip to the Home Despot for a piece of 3/8" steel rod and a few minutes with my angle grinder and I've got 2 new hinge pins. 

Also had to make some minor door latch adjustments and install the plexiglass shims I made.

I loaded it up with a case of 8oz Cokes and fired it up.  Went from 78* at 8:30 pm to 32* at 11:00 pm tonight when I got back home.  Runs smooth and quiet.  I am one happy camper.  Thanks all for putting up with my endless updates on this, it was a lot of fun. 

I have all of the photos I took on my website if anyone wants to check them out.
http://littlebluespitfire.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=9846

Here are some final pics:

Embossed Coke Ideal 55 Slider
VMC-44
Vendo V-80 
Westinghouse WE-6
tkaz
Soda Jerks

tkaz

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2015, 11:22:55 pm »

Really great job Jim, you got a lot of stuff done on that machine and the real gem was that you documented everything for the future here on SMC.  Now it's time to enjoy it!  I had a similar condition V44 a few years back and sold it as soon as I was done with the refurb, wish I held on to that one a little longer, they are such cool machines.

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: