SMC Discussion Areas
May 17, 2024, 07:29:59 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Locks  (Read 2929 times)
Paul M.
« on: January 30, 2005, 01:10:20 am »

I've noticed that there isn't much discussion here about locks.

My V-63 was given to me but didn't have any keys.  I searched the net for info on opening tubular locks, as they are called, and found a little bit on picking them.  But the description of how to do it is a lot simpler than the task.

After attempting it myself I called a couple of locksmiths to see if they could do it.  One said that it couldn't be done and would have to be drilled or ground.  The other said he would be willing to try but doubted he could pick it.  Then he could drill it if he didn't succeed.  However, the charge was $60 an hour.  I decided then that I could drill it myself for free.

After ten minutes of effort I got the machine opened.  I returned to the locksmith and purchased a new lock with keys that works great.  My only disappointment is that the new lock has a shallower profile and is tapered, so now it is recessed into the hole in the lockplate, as I call it (the chrome, rectangular, fake T-handle looking thing) and doesn't look quite right.  If I find a better replacement I'll probably change it out again.  But in the mean time this one works fine.

I'm curious to hear other people's experiences with these locks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: