SMC Discussion Areas
May 19, 2024, 04:38:58 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What to refinish metal with?  (Read 3637 times)
« on: September 17, 2004, 12:02:19 am »

So tomorrow I start to sand blast a lot of the metal parts... ie... Tank, rails, bottle vend unit etc...

Question is.. should I just get everything powder coated silver?

What do you all say to finish the metal with and color?
loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2004, 10:13:01 am »

For the inside zink plating I think looks the best but I have been having a hard time finding a place to do it.
Jim
Administrator
Soda Jerks

#1 Soda Jerk!

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2004, 03:23:56 pm »

Be very careful while sand blasting as this heats up the metal and can cause the sheet metal to warp! This will create low and/or high spots where ever you spend a lot of time in one area.

As far as interior metal parts like the vending rack, mounting brackets etc., I like things to be/look original as best as possible... However, durability and useability become an issue and this is where Powder Coating shines. Powder Coating has become the standard for this very reason.

As far as exterior components, I recommend PPG products! You haven't stated who will be sand blasting, doing body work, priming parts and finish painting on this project...?

My six cents,

Jim

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2004, 04:32:03 pm »

Quote (Jim @ Sep. 17 2004,4:23)
Be very careful while sand blasting as this heats up the metal and can cause the sheet metal to warp! This will create low and/or high spots where ever you spend a lot of time in one area.

As far as interior metal parts like the vending rack, mounting brackets etc., I like things to be/look original as best as possible... However, durability and useability become an issue and this is where Powder Coating shines. Powder Coating has become the standard for this very reason.

As far as exterior components, I recommend PPG products! You haven't stated who will be sand blasting, doing body work, priming parts and finish painting on this project...?

I think I'll go with powder coating...   Silver?

I will be doing all the work, cept for paint...

I've got a friend that owns a metal company and has a sand blast booth and a glass...

Welding... well that's what his company does... so we will be cutting out the bottom were the rust is VERY bad...

after the sand blasting I'm gonna go in and try to get high/lows =... then sand and ready for paint...

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: