SMC Discussion Areas
May 18, 2024, 01:59:12 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cleaning up old compressor deck & components, have a few questions  (Read 12322 times)
brasskey
25 Cent Member

« on: June 10, 2012, 12:10:13 am »

I'm finally finishing up putting my CSS-12-96 back together.  I just need to get the compressor setup back in.  I have it out and will paint the deck, compressor, condensor, and evaporator cover.  

What's the best way to clean the condensor?  It's caked with dirt and debris.  I've seen posts about sandblasting it, but I don't have one.  Can I shoot it with a light water spray (as long as I have the fan motor out and compressor wiring covered)?

Also, before I took the compressor out, everything was working fine.  Since I have it all out and taken apart to paint, should I go ahead and replace the evaporator and condensor fans or is that just a waste of money since they were working?  Thanks.
johnieG
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

This is fine...everythings going to be OK....

« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2012, 07:33:33 am »

I generally power wash the entire deck & replace both fan motors as they're cheap enough, and install a new wiring harness, if you can salvage the cardboard fan shroud, fine, if it's ratty looking, the deck will live without it, ( or get a replacement) you don't have to sand blast, a wire wheel & an electric drill can remove the majority of the loose paint/light rust & scale (if any), a flexible wet/dry sanding sponge (medium grit) works nicely for those hard to get to contours & curved surfaces. 

Then prime any bare spots with a rust inhibiting paint, wait the recommended time before top coating with a nice semi-gloss black on the compressor & brackets & deck plate ( just don't paint over your compressors wiring terminals, use a little masking tape)  oh any make sure the condensers fins are dry or blow them out with air before you paint it, hit it with the paint from two angles left/right to prevent a "shadow" on the fins, I like to use Hammertone silver on the evaporator coil covers ( don't paint evap' fins themselves, it wont stick well & it will flake off.)    I also like to polish the copper lines.

It's can be quite a bit of work to detail the Refrigeration deck, but it looks awesome when you finally wrap up a machine you've worked so hard to restore!

Spoon-feeding Newbies since 2001...Wink
Yeah..220,221 whatever it takes.
Remember, all it needs is a shot of Freon!
The Vendo V-83 is the '59 Edsel of the coke machine world. ;p
Spray painting does NOT restore a compressor
11 is louder than 10...
"Hope" is good, but it's not an action plan.
mznb1u
Soda Jerks

Those Who Stay Will be Champions!

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2012, 09:11:39 am »

After extensive research (reading johnie's post), I think the easiest way to get all that work done is to send it to Johnie and pay him to do the work.   happydrinkers

drinking Tim drinking
brasskey
25 Cent Member

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2012, 03:02:50 pm »

Thanks for the tips Johnie. I'll post some pictures when I'm finished.
brasskey
25 Cent Member

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2012, 10:12:08 pm »

I took the condensor and evaporator motors out.  They seem the same, but a quick look at the details on the motors show slight differences.  Is there a motor that will work for both of these or do I need to get a separate condensor and evaporator motor?  I looked on a few on the sponsor sites, but it's not completely clear (for a newbie) which ones I need.  Can someone please clarify? Also, the motors I found on sponsor sites don't seem to have the special weather-proof plug on the terminal end.  Do these need to be bought separately and wired? Thanks.

Evaporator fan motor (yellow dot)
115V
60/50 Hz
0.4A
4W

Condensor fan motor (red dot)
115V
60/50 Hz
0.53A
3.5W

« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 01:04:53 pm by brasskey » Logged
Creighton
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2012, 10:28:45 pm »

Can't help on the first part of your question. Unless the machine is going to be in service outdoors you don't need heavy duty wiring (weather proof).
Creighton
BrianS
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2012, 10:41:39 pm »

A 4 watt motor should work fine for both of your fans. They are not expensive and well worth changing out now rather than having to dig back into your compressor deck 6 months down the road.  One thing to make sure of is that you get a new motor with the same rotation as your existing motors.  Yours are stamped CW.  This means a clockwise rotation and should be from the perspective looking at the motor from the rear where the wires come out.  This is the Lead End.  Looking at it from the front is the Shaft End.  Your new motor should designate CWLE.  I would plug it in and verify its rotation and which end it is referencing. 

Brian

Vendo 56 - restored
Vendo 81 - in progress
Vendo 39 - in the rough
Rockola 1428 - Original
1959 Williams Pinch Hitter
Wurlitzer 1400
1930 Koken Barber Pole
briandr1
25 Cent Member

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2012, 10:52:39 pm »

IF you have a johnston supply store up there they will have the motors about 35 bucks a piece.

selectivend 64 sa
2 cavalier 96
1975 bally hi deal em pinball machine
1920 wate and fate penny  scale
johnieG
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

This is fine...everythings going to be OK....

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2012, 04:41:47 am »

Typically the evap' fans motor is a 6-watt and the condenser fan-motor is a 9 watt, the bigger the fan blades diameter, the more power/watts you need to spin it, if you undersize the motor, it will "slip" (slow down & never get up to running speed) then it will quickly overheat & burn out or burn up.)  so stick with the original motors wattage, it's not worth saving a whole $2.00 per motor. and yes, do pay attention to the rotation marked on the info plate of the motors, CW=clockwise, CCW= counter-clockwise.

So basically, the bigger/heavier the fan blade the higher the wattage of the motor. believe me, the manufactures sized them for the minimum cost vs motor size.

Spoon-feeding Newbies since 2001...Wink
Yeah..220,221 whatever it takes.
Remember, all it needs is a shot of Freon!
The Vendo V-83 is the '59 Edsel of the coke machine world. ;p
Spray painting does NOT restore a compressor
11 is louder than 10...
"Hope" is good, but it's not an action plan.
brasskey
25 Cent Member

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2012, 12:44:18 pm »

Typically the evap' fans motor is a 6-watt and the condenser fan-motor is a 9 watt, the bigger the fan blades diameter, the more power/watts you need to spin it, if you undersize the motor, it will "slip" (slow down & never get up to running speed) then it will quickly overheat & burn out or burn up.)  so stick with the original motors wattage, it's not worth saving a whole $2.00 per motor. and yes, do pay attention to the rotation marked on the info plate of the motors, CW=clockwise, CCW= counter-clockwise.

So basically, the bigger/heavier the fan blade the higher the wattage of the motor. believe me, the manufactures sized them for the minimum cost vs motor size.

Thank you for all the help everyone.  My evaporator and condenser fans are 4W and 3.5W, respectively (not 6W and 9W). Should I upgrade them to 6W and 9W?  Below are what I was able to find that was comparable.  It seems as though these older motors (exact specs) are no longer made.  In bold are the slight changes with the new ones I found.  Will these work?

Evaporator motor
Current motor ---> Replacement motor
115V  --->  115V
60/50 Hz  --->  60/50 Hz
0.4A  --->  0.42A
4W  --->  6W
CWLE  --->  CWLE

Condensor motor
Current motor ---> Replacement motor
115V  --->  115V
60/50 Hz  --->  60/50 Hz
0.53A  --->  0.55A