SMC Discussion Areas
May 17, 2024, 02:53:40 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Precision plating of mobile, al  (Read 4917 times)
joesquid
25 Cent Member

« on: April 20, 2004, 02:14:28 pm »

A friendly note to our soda-machine enthusiasts located on the Gulf Coast near Mobile, AL.  I sent my coin-entry bezel to Precision Plating (aka Silvermaster Inc.) of Mobile, AL for re-chroming.  The first attempt looked pretty good but blistered within 3 months.  I sent it back and 6 weeks later got what had to have been the poorest chroming job I've ever seen.  The chrome had runs, blobs, and they'd even filled in the "Vendo Corporation" stamp so that only the last 3-or-so letters were showing.  I called to complain and demand my money back.  They refused, stating that they had invested alot of time and effort into the process.  I've got a few choice descriptions for their "efforts."
  I heard from this forum that Speed and Sport out of Houston did good work so sent it to them.  I got a call from Craig several days after I sent the unit telling me that he would chrome it but it would look no better.  He said it had been ground too much (thus the blobs and filled-in stamp), and added that the bezel was warped from too much heat exposure and also cracked in one spot. (presumedly for the same reason)  He was able to locate a replacement for me.  This one is in MUCH better shape and the chrome plating is fantastic!
Have a great day!

Eric "Joe Squid" Johnson

1955 Vendo 23 - awaiting restoration
1959 Westinghouse WC-44SK - awaiting parts
1967 Cavalier CS-64G - functional in house
1969 Vendo 63 - in restoration
globalcompressors
Soda Jerks

Global Compressors (Eric)

« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2004, 10:48:05 pm »

Eric,

Also give a try to Atlas plating here in Houston. I have a link on my web page that will take you straight to their site. These guys are probably the best in the business. Give them a shot next time you need some work done!

Eric

how's that OBAMA CARE workin' out for ya?
joesquid
25 Cent Member

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2004, 10:33:43 pm »

Eric,
  Atlas left a bad taste in my mouth.  I went with them first because you've spoken highly of them in the past.  I e-mailed them twice and never got a response.  That doesn't give a good first impression in my book so I went with Speed and Sport.  Craig was very friendly and helpful.  Most importantly, they responded quickly.  I hope my experience with Atlas was a one-time glitch.  Perhaps I'll give them another shot next time I need plating done.
Thanks anyway for the info!

Eric "Joe Squid" Johnson

1955 Vendo 23 - awaiting restoration
1959 Westinghouse WC-44SK - awaiting parts
1967 Cavalier CS-64G - functional in house
1969 Vendo 63 - in restoration
Jim
Administrator
Soda Jerks

#1 Soda Jerk!

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2004, 08:38:04 am »

Eric,

Glad to hear Craig was helpful and honest.
And more importantly, that your piece was properly done...

My six cents,

Jim

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: