SMC Discussion Areas
May 19, 2024, 03:57:35 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Plating Question  (Read 14733 times)
BrianS
Soda Jerks

« on: January 25, 2011, 01:25:23 am »

Recently picked up an 81 an 56 and thougt I would sell one and restore the other.  Well  can't pick one over the other so I am going to try to do them both at the same time.  The parts are so similar between the two, I don't think it will be that much more work to do them both.  Well, at least not twice as much.  Kind of hoping that for 1.5 times the effort, I end up with 2 machines.  Plus, I think there will be some economies of scale if I do all the powdercoating at once, have them painted together with the same paint scheme, etc.  So far, I have torn both down to the cabinets, removed the stacks, liners etc.  Trying to figure out what to zinc plate.  My list so far includes the following:  door latch but not the sleeve, coin door locking bar, locking bar latches, duck bill coin slot, and the bottle stack components with the exception of the faceplate, which will get powder coated.  So, any other components that should be zinced?  Any parts of the stack not to plate?  Any special instructions for the stack parts to make sure they all fit together again after plating?  What about yellow vs silver?  Also, any larger coin mech pieces to send while sending in all the rest?  I don't want to take on the whole mech, seems like something better left to Tom, but for now I would send in the bigger parts if they dressed things up a bit.  Hope this is not too much detail to ask about.  Just trying to minimize those moments when you smack yourself in the forehead  darn and realize you should have done something different or that you left one piece out when sending to the plating shop.  Lastly, any recommended midwest platers to use.  Would like to make sure to use someone who has done some soda stuff before.  Thanks to all.

Brian

Vendo 56 - restored
Vendo 81 - in progress
Vendo 39 - in the rough
Rockola 1428 - Original
1959 Williams Pinch Hitter
Wurlitzer 1400
1930 Koken Barber Pole
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2011, 09:35:59 am »

Your right, send all your stuff in together, should give you a price break, at least on zinc and powder coating.. paint and body work will vary depending on how bad the cabeints are once sandblasted and let all imperfections, rust etc show their ugly heads..

as far as zinc, I think you listed all the parts.  I'm assuming youll be dissasembling the bottle stack, don't send it in as one unit..assuming you know that.
don't zinc the actuator cup, and make sure they pay special attention to the Arms with rollers on them , as they too are a different metal and if put in solvent too long , will erode away... Also some bottle stacks have Stainless steel parts, some are zinced.. if you have any stainless, just polish that up nicely looks nice..

also some prefer to zinc plate the shelves and shelf supports as well, others prefer powder coating,, I have done both...

also may want to consider the two covers on the main door, round one and rectangular one to zinc or chrome.

I also zinc the cup washers that hold on the large door coin entry bezel... looks nice when done.

may also want to consider the coin box and cap catcher

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
Kilroy
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2011, 10:21:36 am »

And take pictures of everything you send out,  include a copy of the pics t and a list of parts   to the plater, the second copy for you to verify  everything is returned

"Restored they go for $6-7,000!!"
Member : Michigan Mafia
Eric
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2011, 11:12:25 am »

The locking/latch that goes through the main door to cabinet... there is a “sleeve” that you should remove as it's a pot metal and will dissolve during the zinc plating process... At least it did where I had some pieces plated... they go through a acid bath first...

Eric

WANTED:
Embossed Quikold Standard
BrianS
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2011, 12:48:51 am »

as far as zinc, I think you listed all the parts.  I'm assuming youll be dissasembling the bottle stack, don't send it in as one unit..assuming you know that.

OK, I know I am a greenhorn, but give me a little credit laugh  I don't think I could show my face if I sent in an entire stack and got it back plated into one solid piece.  Although I think that would certainly make for an original topic on the forum.

Brian

Vendo 56 - restored
Vendo 81 - in progress
Vendo 39 - in the rough
Rockola 1428 - Original
Wurlitzer 1400
1930 Koken Barber Pole
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2011, 09:15:50 am »

I just had to mention it,, as I've been asked several times from people "should I take it apart before..."   Uh Yes... I had one guy say he was going to dip the whole thing in an acid batch to clean it off.. I had to explain to him about the different metals used in it..  some people.. oops

Good luck on your restorations!

OK, I know I am a greenhorn, but give me a little credit laugh  I don't think I could show my face if I sent in an entire stack and got it back plated into one solid piece.  Although I think that would certainly make for an original topic on the forum.

BrianS
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2011, 10:34:50 pm »

Believe me, I appreciate any and all input.  The knowledge base here is pretty amazing.  I do have one question on the bottle stack.  What do you do with the bottle gate assembly.  The linkage arm appears to have been originally yellow zinc.  The gate door is nonmagnetic (pot metal?) and the gate roller is magnetic.  The roller axle is somewhat rusty but doesn't look to be easily removed or replaced.  The gate assembly is in good shape but definately has seen some use.  How do you treat this piece?  Also, I set the actuator cup aside, also non-magnetic.  If you can't plate it, do you just polish it as best you can or is there a better option.  Thanks to one and all.

Brian

Vendo 56 - restored
Vendo 81 - in progress
Vendo 39 - in the rough
Rockola 1428 - Original
Wurlitzer 1400
1930 Koken Barber Pole
BrianB
Soda Jerks

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2011, 07:13:30 am »

I just had a whole load of VMC 81 parts zinc plated.

As far as the Bottle Gates go, I told my plater that the gate portion itself was a cast item that couldn't be left too long in the acid or it would damage it.

I drove out the pins holding in the stainless rollers and removed both springs and had the gates re-plated using yellow zinc. In my opinion they turned out great!

When I get a chance I'll take some pictures of a few pieces that I had done.

Brian
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2011, 02:48:02 pm »

I get the whOle thing done roller and arm just make sure your plater knows and they should know what to do

BrianB
Soda Jerks

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2011, 06:20:00 am »

I take the roller out to polish it seperately seeing as how it's stainless. They look great!

Brian
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: