SMC Discussion Areas
May 19, 2024, 09:13:59 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What I did this afternoon - Powdercoating  (Read 8057 times)
BrianB
Soda Jerks

« on: October 31, 2010, 04:24:20 pm »

After owning my powdercoating gun for over 4 YEARSand never using it, I finally got around to running some test parts and then went for broke and did an entire batch. I coated (9) Bottle Shelf Support Brackets, (9) Bottle Shelf Sliders and the Condensation Tray. I first shot the parts with Silver Sparkle (TGIC) cured it and then shot them with 120% Clear Coat. For my very first time, I am very impressed with the gun and the outcome.

These parts are for my Pepsi VMC-81. I'll do the Bottle Stack Shelves and Bottle Shelves next. The only parts that I will have to farm-out will be the Bottle Stack Face and the Liner due to size limitations of my over.

Here are a few pic's!

Brian
bubba
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2010, 08:15:05 pm »

did you put them in your cooking oven? My wife lets me get away with a lot, but I think she would draw the line there...

Ken

V-63 -Bottles
2-Cavalier USS-64
VMC ST56B Royal Crown - being built
Vendo HA56C Coke
2-V63C DP
V63C Coke
U-Select-It 5cent candybar machine
90grad
Soda Jerks

Thanks to all our veterans for our freedom!

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2010, 06:00:07 am »

Very, very nice!!!

Wayne

Mid-Atlantic Chapter

Cavalier 51 (1953)
Cavalier Airline Cooler
7-Up Picnic Cooler
Vendo 110 (1957)
VMC 56 Bottle (1964)
VMC 56 Can
Westinghouse Master Water Bath Cooler
Westinghouse Standard Ice Cooler
Westinghouse WB-102 (1963)
BrianB
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2010, 06:42:52 am »

Nope, no cookin' in the house! laugh You're not supposed to use an oven for powder coating and food prep. One or the other, just not both!  laugh

I have an old freebie electric oven that was given to me by an in-law that lives nearby. I asked him to keep his eyes open for one and a few weeks later he shows up at my house with a buddy and unloads this oven that he found for FREE. A homeowner was updating her appliances and just wanted it out of her house, she said it still worked.

I pulled a new circuit out to the garage and tried it out, it worked like a champ! I got my powder off of Ebay and the gun is from Eastwood. I use my smaller Hitatchi compessor to feed it and an IR thermometer to keep an eye on the temp of the oven and the part that I am actually coating. I plan on building a purpose-built spray booth with filtration and I would love to have a larger oven!
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 08:35:30 am by BrianB » Logged

Brian
cokemachinesandmore
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2010, 07:53:53 am »

Brian that looks outstanding !  what are you going to name the business  biggrin
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2010, 10:04:05 am »

Very cool.. at home powder coating.. never thought it possible...

would love to see how you hung and then transfered the peices to the oven? do you make little racks or somthing ? one piece at a time or how?  Very cool!

I gave away an old stove last year cause the glass cook top was shattered (babysitter dropped a pan on it) should have kept the oven I guess.?

Very cool!

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
BrianB
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2010, 02:19:52 pm »

John -

I'll take some pictures of my set-up the next time I run a batch.

As far as hanging the parts. I use stainless steel wire about 2 inches long formed into an "S" shape and literally hang the parts from the oven rack. When I am done coating I CAREFULLY pick the rack up and slide it into the oven.

The oven I was given had the standard old-school burner elements. I removed them and terminated the wires so as of right now I have (4) open holes in the top! Eventually I will build a mini-spray booth that will fit directly on top of the stove. I also plan on installing casters on the bottom to make my operation more mobile within the garage.

Brian
Jim
Administrator
Soda Jerks

#1 Soda Jerk!

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2010, 03:13:37 pm »

Very Cool Brian ! ! !
The parts look great too ! ! !

My six cents,

Jim

bubba
Soda Jerks

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2010, 10:30:29 pm »

Thats awesome.. My buddy tried to get me to set something like that up at my house a few years ago.. Never followed through with it.. I love the idea of the spray booth on top and the whole assembly on wheels.. great idea.

Ken

V-63 -Bottles
2-Cavalier USS-64
VMC ST56B Royal Crown - being built
Vendo HA56C Coke
2-V63C DP
V63C Coke
U-Select-It 5cent candybar machine
BrianB
Soda Jerks

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2010, 11:09:38 pm »

I'm actually copying a set-up that found in a discussion forum online and modifying it a bit to suit my needs. I'm really excited about being able to do the majority of my own parts with the exact same quality as a production/job shop.

Brian
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: