SMC Discussion Areas
May 17, 2024, 04:13:20 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Painting embossed lettering tips  (Read 4828 times)
« on: February 02, 2004, 09:21:20 pm »

I am going to be restoring my new (old westinghouse WE-6). It is currently in great shape other than someone decided to take a rattle can to it and do thier own restoration job a few years back apparently.

I am plannig on sanding it down and removing what little rust spots it has on the body (about .5%) but I want to do it right, but yet I want to try to do as much on it by myself as I can because I am interested in these things.

I do have access to a paint booth and I will have my friend who knows what he is doing actually shoot the paint but I will be doing all of the sanding and prepping.

I have heard of people who say they shoot 1 to 2 coats of white base coat over the embossed letters and then shoot the whole machine with red base coat. They then say they take a sander and sand off the red base coat so all that you can see is the white base coat underneath and then finally spray the whole machine with clear.  

This whole process sounds a little strange to me.. for 1, base coat is pretty thin so how does one sand through the red base coat and luckily manage not to go through the white?
Help- Tips, methods, pointers, examples???

« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2004, 09:27:17 pm »

What I would like to generate here is some tips, examples, experiences, alternative methods, and even some close up pics of the finished products if possible, from some of the pros who have been there, done that. I think this Forum has the potential to be quite handy for many of us so if you members have tips and suggestions don't be shy, help a guy out. Thanks everyone!
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2004, 04:45:14 pm »

i personally know that this too is a concern of mine. I always wondered how it was done originally, and i begin to panic as i think of how i'm gonna do it.

Only idea i have is to spray red, then tape, and cut out the embossing, mask the body and spray the white-like flaming a car-.

Any help on this topic would be great info for me too!!!!\

Thanks Guys

Keith
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2004, 11:15:07 am »

This was discussed in detail last August. Look back in the general section of "Refinishing"

Glen
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2004, 11:17:51 pm »

Hi!

My friend & I restored a Vendo 39 and I painted the embossed letters by hand.  A bit time consuming but well worth it!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: