SMC Discussion Areas
May 17, 2024, 03:48:36 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Westinghouse WC-78-MD restoration  (Read 7337 times)
quadraduece

« on: March 17, 2010, 08:57:50 am »

I am moving my "chrome" topic to a new post as I start the restoration process.  I will post updates on my progress as I go along.

First off, this is the 2nd Coke machine I've owned, but the first I have tried to restore.

It's in decent condition to start with, but not a show piece.  Just enough scratches, dings, etc, to make you want to bring it back to its former glory.  From running a case of soda and beer through it, its seems to be in perfect working order, so I should only have to worry about the cosmetic side of things.

At this point, I've removed everything from the inside (bottle rack, vend mech, and compressor deck).  Next step is to remove the liner and send the body off to be sandblasted.  While that's being done, I have to decide how I want to address the minor dings and dents.  I'm thinking of using filler, but do you do that before or after you prime? Any tips?  
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 09:00:28 am by quadraduece » Logged
quadraduece

« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2010, 11:54:35 am »

A second question for the experts out there:

I am going to hammertone the liner and bottle rack, which are galvanized.  If you read Rustoleum's hammertone tech data sheet, it says "do not apply to galvanized surfaces".  Hammerite's website says you need to use a special primer on galvanized surfaces.  I've read through several post on the hammertone finish and everyone says they spray it right onto the galvanized liner, etc.  Am I missing a step, or does it work fine directly on galvanized surfaces?
Crazzy Canuck
25 Cent Member

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2010, 12:00:57 pm »

I've sanded the galvanized before and sprayed. Another trick you can do to neutralize the galvanize is to wash it with vinegar. The vinegar will neutralize it.
 After blasting is when I added any fill, before primer. This way after I figure I had the fill smooth enough, then prime. When you sand the primer and the fill looks good and smooth (hard to distinguish it's there, or block sand) you are ready for paint,

Maybe we should offer this advice on ebay for $35 LOL

Seriously tho, good luck and ask away.
P.S. this is just my opinion on how I do it for what it's worth.

Mark
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 12:04:48 pm by Crazzy Canuck » Logged

Always buying "off brand" machines and ice chests
Constant buyer of vmc 33-3D's & Jacobs 26
zadd
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2010, 10:24:20 am »

You can epoxy prime it after you have it sandblasted and do your body work over that .

Zadd
Dr Pepper Queen Anne Bottle Machine
Dr Pepper Queen Anne Can Machine
7up Ideal 55 slider
Vendo 81D
VMC 33D
Nehi Pelco Koolie
collecture
Soda Jerks

Tom

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2010, 11:47:16 am »

I am currently redoing the little brother (WB-60). I plan on breaking the vend mech and compressor assembly down sometime in the next month or so. From looking at it - some parts I will zinc plate, some will be nickel plated and some parts I will send with the bottle stack and liner to be powdercoated, but every part from the whole machine will be sent at one time for each process as it is usually a lot charge. Thickness of the coating will play a major role in what is done to each piece - especially concerning the vend mech where things need to move freely! After I get into breaking the vend mech down, I'll have a better idea of what can be done to each piece.

Cav 27, 33, CS-55E-2, 72
S-48 DP
Ideal CC 35, Barq's 55
1930s DP Counter Cooler
Vendo Coin Changers (ea. style - orig w/ stand)
Vendo Junior (rest.), 23 Deluxe, 39D, 44, 56RT, 80SS, 81A (orig), 81D, 6 C.V.
VMC 27, 27A, 81D DP, 110 DP
Westy WC-42-T, WC-44SK, WD-5(2), WB60
Victor C-14
johnieG
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

This is fine...everythings going to be OK....

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2010, 09:24:51 pm »

I usually wash the galvanizing down with steel-wool & TSP (REAL tri-sodium phosphate, not the crappy "eco-friendly" version) which really cleans any loose dirt & zinc/dust off & coats the metal with a coat of zinc-phosphate (it acts like a primer, although you can see it with your eyes, it's there at a chemical level) the hammertone will stick nicely to it, the Vinegar treatment will work too, it acid-etches the zinc & steel to allow better paint adhesion. but doesn't phosphate coat the metal.

Hammer-tonesprimer is an self-etching primer & cant be found around here, but there are plenty of other brands available if you want to go that route.

Spoon-feeding Newbies since 2001...Wink
Yeah..220,221 whatever it takes.
Remember, all it needs is a shot of Freon!
The Vendo V-83 is the '59 Edsel of the coke machine world. ;p
Spray painting does NOT restore a compressor
11 is louder than 10...
"Hope" is good, but it's not an action plan.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: