SMC Discussion Areas
May 25, 2024, 05:38:36 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 18   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steam powered tonka truck  (Read 83192 times)
scalebowler
Soda Jerks

« on: January 19, 2012, 12:43:38 am »

Thought you guys would like to see what I am working on right now. A while back I was browsing plans online for a steam engine and I came accross some plans for a vertical engine that would go in a boat. Well as I was reading through those I saw an ad on the last page for a steam powered tonka truck kit and I thought that was pretty awesome and decided that I wanted to build that one day. So last week I finally started the project when I found a small beat up tonka pickup truck at an antique store. It was missing a grill, had a busted windshield and was kind of rusty so I would not feel too bad about modifying the truck so I bought it and I am currently in the process of restoring the truck as best as I can (windshield will still be busted since I can't find a replacement one of those and I kind of like it  laugh ) and am figuring out all the stuff that I need to do to make it steam powered. I have located a boiler that will fit perfectly in the bed of the truck and am currentl figuring out a design for a alcohol burner to heat the boiler with. The engine is based off of a design that I found in a magazine that my grandpa gave me and had built in school. Going to mount that in the engine compartment and have it linked up to the front wheels with some gears and have it mounted slightly off set so that the truck will drive in circles untill the steam is used up. I have a few pictures of what I have done so far. Currently all that I have done is taken it appart and started removing the paint but I will let you guys know when I get some more done.

How the truck looked when I bought it

Truck after I took it appart

Parts after soaking in muriatic acid and using electrolysis

« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 03:55:14 am by scalebowler » Logged
TrevsOldChevs

« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2012, 02:47:59 am »

I look forward to seeing how you do on this... I have a pretty good Tonka collection, about 45 pieces sitting above my hot rod garage in storage and have yet to see one powered so this should be interesting!  Cool

It's a sin to crush old tin...
Creighton
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2012, 03:45:26 am »

Cool!!
Creighton
scalebowler
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2012, 11:51:38 pm »

Thanks guys! I will make sure to keep updating this thread when ever I make some progress on this project. Going to order a boiler in the next couple of days. Also might be able to machine a few parts at school if I get my current project (machining a crankshaft from a solid piece of steel) done before the quarter is over.
bcharlton
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2012, 10:26:36 am »

"What is this, a steam car for Ants?"  That Tonka turck will only fit maybe 2 or 3 people in it.  (A little "Zoolander" humor from Ben Stiller)

I look forward to the pics when it is done.

bc

bcexpress

Vendo 39 Original
Cavalier C-51 Restored
Cavalier C-96 Restored (almost done)
GE Double Chiller Restored
Cavalier C-33 7 Up Restored
Vendo 27b Pepsi
Vendo 81b
Westinghouse wd-5 / WE-6
3 Stoner Candy/Theatre/Junior/180
Bastian Blessing Bobtail soda fountain
Jacobs 56 Pepsi
scalebowler
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2012, 01:14:12 am »

Ordered a boiler for the truck today. Not sure when it will arive but I am guessing in a week or so. Almost got the paint all stripped off of the parts too. I also located a copy of the origional plans for the steam truck kit. I can't use it 100% since my project is built around a different tonka truck but it is a really good reference for my project.
scalebowler
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2012, 10:29:06 pm »

Got the parts primed. Now just got to paint them. Also got to do some modifications for the steam lines, engine and burner before I paint them. (proboly should have made the modifications before I primed it but oh well. I can always re prime some of them.)
johnieG
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

This is fine...everythings going to be OK....

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2012, 11:21:55 pm »

Cool! I wonder how many of these me & my brother left buried in the old sand box next to our old house in Detroit? along with countless little green army men & as I recall a few full size G.I. Joe's too...hmm, I might have to go on an archeological expedition to the old lot.

I'd run it on baking-soda & vinegar for the "steam" ( CO2 power really) , no flame, no burn hazard & it would still power a small "steam" engine ( the CO2 gas that is)

Spoon-feeding Newbies since 2001...Wink
Yeah..220,221 whatever it takes.
Remember, all it needs is a shot of Freon!
The Vendo V-83 is the '59 Edsel of the coke machine world. ;p
Spray painting does NOT restore a compressor
11 is louder than 10...
"Hope" is good, but it's not an action plan.
scalebowler
Soda Jerks

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2012, 11:39:17 pm »

Cool! I wonder how many of these me & my brother left buried in the old sand box next to our old house in Detroit? along with countless little green army men & as I recall a few full size G.I. Joe's too...hmm, I might have to go on an archeological expedition to the old lot.

I'd run it on baking-soda & vinegar for the "steam" ( CO2 power really) , no flame, no burn hazard & it would still power a small "steam" engine ( the CO2 gas that is)

Thanks! Thats actually a pretty interesting idea for a flameless way of producing power for the engine. I like it. My instructor for my machining classes was telling me about an idea he had about making a boiler that used chips of dry ice to create pressure to run an engine. He said he would need to do some work to figure out how much would be needed to run it safely but it sounded like a pretty cool idea.
collecture
Soda Jerks

Tom

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2012, 01:27:48 am »

Cool! I wonder how many of these me & my brother left buried in the old sand box next to our old house in Detroit? along with countless little green army men......

Ha-ha! We used to have a big sand pit. The old Civil War centennial cannons were an awesone pair with the WWII Army men (those sets bring big $$ now BTW). Put a Black Cat firecracker inside the barrel with the fuse sticking out the rear cap, pack some rocks in and aim it at the army men. Those that got knocked over were dead! Burned the dead in a massive grave with Ronson lighter fluid - every time I smell plastic, I think of that time in my life. Good times!!

Cav 27, 33, CS-55E-2, 72
S-48 DP
Ideal CC 35, Barq's 55
1930s DP Counter Cooler
Vendo Coin Changers (ea. style - orig w/ stand)
Vendo Junior (rest.), 23 Deluxe, 39D, 44, 56RT, 80SS, 81A (orig), 81D, 6 C.V.
VMC 27, 27A, 81D DP, 110 DP
Westy WC-42-T, WC-44SK, WD-5(2), WB60
Victor C-14
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 18   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: