SMC Discussion Areas
May 31, 2024, 03:24:55 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vendo 44 door heater  (Read 2579 times)
Clete
« on: October 14, 2008, 08:54:12 am »

Hello. I have a very nice original Vendo 44 that has been in the family since new. Always kept inside.  Every summer I take it outside and blow out the dust and cobwebs and give it a coat of polish. As I was cleaning it yesterday the black wires from the junction box to the door heater(?) broke right below the lower hinge. The were hard and brittle. I disconnected them from the junction box.  What is the purpose of the ceramic block in the door, It describes it as a heater on the schematic? Will the unit operate normally with out this connected? I have not plugged it back in yet since this wire broke. The unit is kept in my heated garage. Thank. Clete
collecture
Soda Jerks

Tom

« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2008, 09:41:09 am »

Hi Clete,
I wouldn't worry about it. The heaters only purpose was to provide heat to the coin mech so water wouldn't freeze on it preventing coins from being accepted. However, it is a live wire so make sure it is taped up so it doesn't give you a shock.
I'd replace the wiring harness on it and fans too if you are so inclined. You won't hurt the value and you will improve the efficiency and safety of the machine.
A new harness and fans are available from Fun-Tronics and Soda Jerk Works - both sponsors of this site.
Post some pics of your machine if you can - everybody would love to see it!
« Last Edit: October 14, 2008, 09:53:09 am by collecture » Logged

Cav 27, 33, CS-55E-2, 72
S-48 DP
Ideal CC 35, Barq's 55
1930s DP Counter Cooler
Vendo Coin Changers (ea. style - orig w/ stand)
Vendo Junior (rest.), 23 Deluxe, 39D, 44, 56RT, 80SS, 81A (orig), 81D, 6 C.V.
VMC 27, 27A, 81D DP, 110 DP
Westy WC-42-T, WC-44SK, WD-5(2), WB60
Victor C-14
Clete
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2008, 09:56:09 am »

Collecture. Thank you for the quick response. I have disconnected the broken wires at the power source. I checked the rest of the wiring, they are still soft and pliable. For some reason this wire turned hard and brittle and I guess it weakend at the flex point from opening and closing the door. I would like to post pictures after I learn how to.  This unit was bought new by my Father in law for his Barber shop. When he retired back in the eighty's he gave it to me. The only item ever replaced was the condensor fan motor. I was able to find the exact part from the local Coke plants parts dept. Thanks again. Clete
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: