SMC Discussion Areas
May 09, 2024, 07:43:51 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What would you pay for this v81?  (Read 6217 times)
BryanH
Soda Jerks

Sweatin' in Arizona... but it's a dry heat!

« on: May 28, 2005, 04:43:58 pm »

This v81 ebay auction is local to me so I could actually go look at it.   It's at $1300 and has a $2500 BIN.  I'd most likely end up keeping it but just in case want to make sure I could get my money out of it (and even some profit if I were to fix it up).

Let me know what you guys (and ladies) think.

Thanks, Bryan
   Cavalier USS-96: unrestored, working on the back patio
   CV VUB/C 8-91: a fantasy restoration?
   GE Cooler: in pieces, my next project
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2005, 04:59:41 pm »

The 81A is hard to re-sell when compared the the nice large fully centered embossed letters on the B and D.   Although, this one looks much better with a white top, than the original all red look.

Glen
loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2005, 05:33:12 pm »

I personally don't care for the A models as well, but the red and white does help it. I think I would rather pay the extra for a D model.
Eric
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2005, 07:21:53 pm »

Yeah I agree... I'd wait..... one will come along......

Eric

Eric

WANTED:
Embossed Quikold Standard
Kilroy
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2005, 11:15:10 pm »

Bryan, there is an ad in the classifed ads section for an 81D in Illinois, asking price is $2000.

"Restored they go for $6-7,000!!"
Member : Michigan Mafia
BryanH
Soda Jerks

Sweatin' in Arizona... but it's a dry heat!

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2005, 04:19:52 pm »

Thanks for the insight...  Still lots to learn.  I didn't even realize that there were different models. What's the difference between the A and B or D.  Was there a C?

Thanks, Bryan
   Cavalier USS-96: unrestored, working on the back patio
   CV VUB/C 8-91: a fantasy restoration?
   GE Cooler: in pieces, my next project
vendobaldtops
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2005, 05:39:32 pm »

The A version was all red and the light-up medallion was a dark green (I think).  Embossed lettering was thinner and set to the left.   The B came out in '56 and was 2-tone with a small con door, embossed lettering was centered and bigger.  D came out in 2-tone and had the large coin door.  D and B light-up medallions were a clearer color.  Not many Cs known to exist although I do recall one one on eBay a few years back where the owner claimed the ID tag said VC but this was unconfirmed.
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2005, 10:34:08 am »

I might be mistaken but I think the V81-A model is the only one that has the embossing actually in the center.  In the later models the embossing was shifted to the right to make it appear centered due to the optical illusion the vertical bottle door creates.  If you check out jeff's book and compare the machines side by side you can really see what I'm talking about.  Just visually measure the distance from the "C" on Coca to the left corner and do the same with the "a" on Cola to the right corner.  You'll see how off-center the later models were in order to look centered.  

A J
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2005, 10:35:45 pm »

Sometimes, what looks centered is better than what actually is centered.

Here ends your deep philosophical lesson for today. ':cool:'

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2005, 12:40:56 pm »

I like the look of the A model, if it is what you want I say go for it! Have you contacted owner to see if everything works?
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: