SMC Discussion Areas
May 08, 2024, 10:49:30 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What should a paint job cost??  (Read 2933 times)
Vendo Guy
5 Cent Member

« on: September 16, 2004, 11:51:46 am »

I am curious if anyone has taken their machine to a body shop to get painted??  I was going to do it with the help of a friend, but can't find the time.

I've got a Vendo 110 with a few dings that need to be filled, sanded, and a paint job (white and red)......ANYONE?!?!?!

There is a fine line between a hobby.................. and a mental illness!!!

Six machines and counting...
(3) Vendo 110's
(4) Vendo 110 - 6 Case Cooler
(1) Westinghouse Standard Ice

- Vendo Guy
ussexplorer
10 Cent Member

« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2004, 01:21:31 am »

Well we have this place called Macco. They quoted $1,200 to sand blast, fill, and paint the inside / outside of her s15 jimmy truck. They normally run a paint special of like $299.00 for just about any vehicle. But that is just a point and shoot over the old paint job. So I would not expect it to be to much. Depending on the size of the machine and how many colors of paint you need used. For instance all one color or muti color will make a difference in price. Also if they have to mix the color. Let me know what you find. I'm interested in getting my machines touched up. Well one of my machines. Needs a few parts of white filled in and what not. I'll probably do it myself though. Afraid if I shoot just a small area to fix the problems. It will look better than the rest.

laters,

ussexplorer
loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2004, 10:09:52 am »

I have been going to a local body shop for my machines. They do a great job. I have found that PPG sprint red is extremely close to 60's coke red. They have this at the shop and use it frequently. It takes them a few weeks because they do my machines on a low priority but I would rather them take their time. And they just put them in the booth when they are painting a car sprint red and they kill two birds with one stone. Depending on condition they normally do the body work and paint for around $300. And they do a great job.
Jim
Administrator
Soda Jerks

#1 Soda Jerk!

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2004, 03:48:00 pm »

It's recommended to completely strip the machine down to the bare metal and begin the body work process until everything is perfect and ready to be wet sanded for finish coat whether it be base/clear or single stage urethane.
You didn't state if you V-110's are from the 50's or square-cornered machines... So I'll elaborate on the older version and state that the above statement is never more apparent with embossed lettering. If the original paint isn't removed and sometimes this can be a few coats of paint, the embossed lettering will loose its crispness. Having just one layer of primer/paint will yield the best possible embossed lettering!
It's a little difficult to price a job when I'm not sure how you plan to attack the project; obviously, the more you can do the cheaper the paint shop will charge to finish the job. And don't forget all the other pieces that will need to painted as well such as the coin door, glass vending door, hinges, etc...

My six cents,

Jim

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: