SMC Discussion Areas
May 19, 2024, 11:05:07 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pawn Stars on History Channel  (Read 18435 times)
Pat Pixley
« on: September 20, 2009, 10:34:28 pm »

I was watching Pawn Stars tonight on the History Channel it is filmed out in Vegas
this guy brought in a beat to hell Vendo 39 and sold it to the owner of the shop
his name was Rick for $300 bucks  censored this thing had dent in it and bullet
holes and was missing the guts and coin mech The only thing in it was a compressor,
Myself I would have given the guy $50  because thats all it was worth.

Then Rick the owner of the Pawn shop took it to some one that does this work out there in
Vegas  and His name  was Rick  also  upside This Rick said  it was missing a lot
but he had some ideas for it  maybe putting in a door on the side and doing other things  oh.

Well a little later on the Owner of the Pawn shop Rick goes out to the Resto guy Rick's  shop
and he shows him what he said was his machine   Oo Which it was not  it was a Cavalier 72
and Rick the owner of the pawn shop said is that the machine I brought you and the Rick who
did the Job  glare (Yeah Right) said yes !     Holy  censored  the  censored lied   veryangry to him ,
this guy did a switch  on him,  Then the part that blew me away was he told Rick the owner of the
Pawn Shop that he could get  6 to 7 thousand for it , Ive seen these  setting on Ebay for less than that
and  the Restororation look a whole lot better ...
 What grinds me is that this Rick who did the  work has lead alot of people on that this kind of work can
be done . and second is Rick who ownes the pawn shop  has killed us by say every piece of  censored
 dented gun holed  missing all the guts  machine in worth  $300 or better  which is going to make it a little harder
to get those great deals,  ( Ok Gramps  what do you want for this Vendo 39  Gramps comes back and says
well I  saw on pawn stars a guy bring in a peice of junk machine and get $300   and mine is allmost all there (
Missing gut  coin mech there) I want $500  )  so this could happen or not .

Maybe its me but I'm a little angry over this one..

Pat
« Last Edit: September 20, 2009, 11:17:26 pm by Pat Pixley » Logged
oscar
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2009, 10:40:18 pm »

They didn't tell you that the restoration cost $7000. laugh
coke_and_stuff
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2009, 10:44:11 pm »

This episode first aired a few weeks ago, Rick at Ricks Restorations in Vegas did the amazing restoration work, I wish I could turn V39s into C72s

Joey

Collector of nice original paint machines

Vendo 81 B, C, D
VMC 81 Pepsi, 7up, RC, Generic
6CV Coke, RC, Pepsi
VMC 110 RC
Vendo 39
Jacobs 26
Mills 47
Selectivend 64 7up NOS
Plus 30-50 parts and project machines
Pat Pixley
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2009, 11:00:33 pm »

He only charge him $2,500 for the work   glare.

So if some one comes to you with a toasted V39 and says to you that he wants it to look like the one on Pawn starts with a glass bottle door  and when you say it cant be done then he says well I'll ship it to Rick out In Vegas and have him do it then.

And now you just lost some one who wants there machine restored and he will tell other people after they
see is machine,  Yeah this guy out in Vegas did it his name was Rick here here is his card he should be able to hook you up.    oh

« Last Edit: September 20, 2009, 11:18:15 pm by Pat Pixley » Logged
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2009, 11:33:23 pm »

that is funny,
cause just tonight, I have recieved two emails from different people, wondering what it would cost to restore their Vendo 39's but one is missing the insides, and one is missing some parts as well.. Seriously, I just got them.. and then read this post..!
I'm sure I'll loose out one those resto jobs... guess they'll go to rick..
 glare
Someone should write the show... let's find out who to contact and we should send some letters.. it hurts the guys who do this for a living and us hobbiests..

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
Kilroy
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2009, 07:24:21 am »

along  the same lines,  House Hunters, A  show on HGTV that 'follows' people  as they are shopping for homes did an episode on a local woman looking for a condo.   The newspaper ran an article on the episode, and mentioned the condo showed in the show as the one she purchaed wasn't it at all, nor were any of thefurninshings hers,  they rented a site for the show! But at the end of the show, the woman is bragging and showing off "her new condo"

I don't believe any of the reality shows, and I think anyone with  half a brain could look at a v39 and a cav 72 and realize they are not even close to the same machine. in tenrms of size and shape.
grrrr

"Restored they go for $6-7,000!!"
Member : Michigan Mafia
oscar
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2009, 09:38:41 am »

You can't believe anything that comes out of the journalism schools these days. Just look at the coverage we get on this President. The last president could barely speak according to them and this one is flawless.
cokemachinesandmore
Soda Jerks

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2009, 11:35:37 am »

Yes he may speak flawlessly, but he brought change. Unfortunately for alot of Americans thats all they have left is change in their pockets. But AIG got some sweeeeeeeeeet bonuses.
Marvin
Soda Jerks

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2009, 02:27:11 pm »

I got an email from Rick's Restorations before this episode aired a few weeks ago.  After watching it and being let down I sent him an email stating my thoughts. 

It turns out the production company was in a hurry and said "just make something happen!" 

There is no such thing as a "reality show"  A lot of it is set up and the most important parts are missed or left out.
sodaworks
Soda Jerks

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2009, 04:30:22 pm »

You mean Reality shows aren't real.............LOL

TERRY@SODAWORKS RESTORATIONS
Lots of Round Top machines
Buy-Sell-Trade-Restorations
David D
Soda Jerks

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2009, 07:22:16 pm »

Glad someone else noticed this, I saw this episode a couple weeks ago and it was clear the restored machine was completely different.  I originally liked this show, but after this BS it's lost all credibility.
RC kid
Soda Jerks

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2009, 07:39:30 pm »

I guess the producers just assume we Americans are just idiots and we won't notice the difference. So long as everything is somewhat similar in appearance.

I also read that reality shows were a cheaper way to keep us dummies entertained, as they cost so much less to produce then a show like CSI. Ever notice how the quality has diminished over the last ten to fifteen years?
oscar
Soda Jerks

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2009, 08:05:56 pm »

I can't even watch TV if it has commercials. I think I've developed a new disease. I lose interest in the program when the commercials come on.
rugrunner
10 Cent Member

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2009, 07:33:38 am »

All I watch is reality shows. Deadliest catch, axe men, fox news, dog whisperer etc.

Never seen any of the BS reality shows. Big brother, survivor, MSNBC, who wants to married a millionaire.

This one sounds like it fits in the second group. 
Duane73

« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2009, 10:17:53 pm »

Some of you might get a kick out of reading this............ http://boards.history.com/topic/Pawn-Stars/Coke-Machine/520066301
Pat Pixley
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2009, 11:01:36 pm »

smile Thanks for sharing that is a great biggrin.
halehouse
Soda Jerks

« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2009, 07:52:09 pm »

I just finally saw this episode. That was pretty bad.

Vendo 63 Stylestar (Restored)
Glascock Standard
Cornelius 50 Slider (Restored)
Creighton
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2009, 09:15:22 pm »

Anybody know who Rick is? Looked like he had a nice RT boneyard. Did a good job on a gas pump in another episode.
Thanks!
Creighton
collecture
Soda Jerks

Tom

« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2009, 09:44:11 pm »

He is obviously in Vegas. He used to put a few parts up on eBay here and there under username 'racinrick' (I think). And yes he does have a large boneyard.

Cav 27, 33, CS-55E-2, 72
S-48 DP
Ideal CC 35, Barq's 55
1930s DP Counter Cooler
Vendo Coin Changers (ea. style - orig w/ stand)
Vendo Junior (rest.), 23 Deluxe, 39D, 44, 56RT, 80SS, 81A (orig), 81D, 6 C.V.
VMC 27, 27A, 81D DP, 110 DP
Westy WC-42-T, WC-44SK, WD-5(2), WB60
Victor C-14
Chedki
25 Cent Member

« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2009, 05:06:28 pm »

He is obviously in Vegas. He used to put a few parts up on eBay here and there under username 'racinrick' (I think). And yes he does have a large boneyard.

His ebay username is restorick. Check out his "Me" page on eBay:

http://members.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewUserPage&userid=restorick
« Last Edit: December 22, 2009, 05:08:42 pm by Chedki » Logged

Royal Crown Cola Ideal 55 slider
Nichol Kola Quikold Standard
Creighton
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2009, 05:31:07 pm »

Thanks for the info!
Creighton
sodaworks
Soda Jerks

« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2009, 06:03:26 pm »

Rick of Rick's restorations should be embarressed for making such an ass out of himself!!

Crazzy Canuck
25 Cent Member

« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2009, 06:04:32 pm »

I've known Rick for years. A buddy of mine used to do all his buying for him in Chicago. My buddy would go around and buy up all the 81's at Kane County and then Rick would fly in on the last day and pay him and ship everything back to Vegas. I remember my buddy bought a beautiful Coke 81 original for $600 and sold him for $1,800. The fact is that Rick didn't sell him that 72 but the producers actually wanted to show that 72 instead. Guess they figured the public wouldn't notice.

Always buying "off brand" machines and ice chests
Constant buyer of vmc 33-3D's & Jacobs 26
coke_and_stuff
Soda Jerks

« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2009, 06:13:14 pm »

Whats funny is earlier this year when I had my Restored Cavalier 72 for sale Rick called me asking what my bottom dollar was saying he needed a restored 72 in a hurry. I had it already sold to a lady down in TX.

Joey

Vendo 81 B, C, D
6CV Coke, RC, Pepsi
VMC 110 RC
Vendo 39
Jacobs 26
Mills 47
Selectivend 64 7up NOS
Ltransam
Soda Jerks

« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2009, 06:23:17 pm »

I know that It Made Him Look Bad .I have it Recorded An I cant believe what Rick Says We Modified it to sever other Flavors & Bottle sizes By installing a Glass Door .

I another episode He dose a gas Pump Really Nice !!

He also Restores an Old Barber Chair Pawn Stars Buys for I think $200 And Tells him It worth $7000 After he got Done .Now I don't know much about Barber Chairs & I've Seen & Help move (Heavy)a Few a couple Were Restored & Looked Like the One he restored on Pawn Stars And I never saw one sell for more then $3500 But In Vegas The Prices are 2-3 time higher then anywere else .

Glascock Counter Top
VMC 81 7Up
Vendo-110-81D-V-56 V-23
Jacobs Pepsi-56
Stoner Cookie &5 Pull Pastry& 180 Candy
Kelvinator FS-51(Canada)
Cavalier's C-55-E-C-55-D
Selmix Sprite
Selmix Pepsi on Draugh
Kilroy
Soda Jerks

« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2009, 07:06:09 pm »

So much for what happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas....

"Restored they go for $6-7,000!!"
Member : Michigan Mafia
sodaworks
Soda Jerks

« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2009, 07:57:39 pm »

I was looking at restoration photo's on Rick's site and was surprised that he was sandblasting a Ideal 55 but the comp. was still inside of the cooler?

MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2009, 08:24:16 pm »

I have not seen that Pawn Stars episode but have had several customers tell me they watched it and what a beautiful job Rick did on that 39.
        I have been to his shop and he has been to mine. He is far too experienced to try and BS a single customer........much less the entire USA.
        Has anyone tried e-mailing him to get his version of this story? His reputation is riding on it.

Glen
Creighton
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2009, 09:22:36 pm »

Glen,
I've watched it twice. They start with a 39 and end with a Cav 72. Rick points out what we all know about muti selection/glass door desirability. TV is TV. Guessing there were 30+ RT's behind his shop. Interested if anything was for sale.
Creighton
Marvin
Soda Jerks

« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2009, 11:06:15 pm »

From Rick after I emailed about being disapointed.

Hi, thanks, The network needed to shoot asap and made that decision on there own. We finished the 39 too late for them to shoot. Here is what we did to that machine.

Rick Dale
www.Ricksrestorations.com
702-655-5544

The attachment was of a really goog looking 39 that was restored and made into a fridge.  I can't find the pic right now.
Marvin
Pat Pixley
« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2009, 12:12:22 am »

HE MADE IT INTO A FRIDGE  !!!        Sorry that is not restoring it . glare
collecture
Soda Jerks

Tom

« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2009, 12:29:39 am »

HE MADE IT INTO A FRIDGE  !!!        Sorry that is not restoring it . glare

Pictures of the 39 fridge are on his website. Not going to bother to copy, paste, resize, etc.
All parts to complete a 39 are available - most all of them available as repros - $$$, but available. Agree with Pat!

Terry - Got to agree on the sandblasting ideal pic (with compressor intact)!  Oo
I saw another picture where he used the cap catcher from a Westinghouse Giant Electric on a bow out chest cooler.

So Joey - you think he was asking to buy your restoration to use on a TV show and call it his restoration??
« Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 12:32:04 am by collecture » Logged

Cav 27, 33, CS-55E-2, 72
S-48 DP
Ideal CC 35, Barq's 55
1930s DP Counter Cooler
Victor C-14
coke_and_stuff
Soda Jerks

« Reply #32 on: December 23, 2009, 12:52:41 am »

I dont know what he was planning, at the time I had a unrestored C-96 and the restored C-72 that already sold and he really wanted the C-72 and needed it yesterday fast.

If you watch the Barber chair episode you will see that beat up V-39 in the background.

Joey

Vendo 81 B, C, D
6CV Coke, RC, Pepsi
VMC 110 RC
Vendo 39
Jacobs 26
Mills 47
Selectivend 64 7up NOS
Pat Pixley
« Reply #33 on: December 23, 2009, 01:36:53 am »

JOEY that is interesting , so if you had still had the 72 do you think he would have paid what ever you wanted ? Maybe a little more ?

And Terry your Right ,Rick should be embarrassed for doing something like this and I just saw the photo of the 39 as a Fridge  glare Like Tom had  said there are parts out there from the Vendors to restore it.
and I also saw the 55 getting sand blasted with the compressor ,  So we could also think that it got painted with the compressor in it as well.  

I have quit watching the show it has drove me nuts.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 10:56:26 am by Pat Pixley » Logged
memorylane
Soda Jerks

« Reply #34 on: December 23, 2009, 05:58:28 am »

On Ricks behalf, when I did the TV show Roker On The Road, Blast from the past, after they were done shooting which took 5 hours they came back to my shop on Monday and Filmed for 13 and a half hours for a pilot. They had me show a Stoner Jr in stages from start to finish and I used 5 Stoners. with the end result a complete restored Stoner Jr. All in one day. Now the show didn't get picked up by any of the networks but was glad as I didn't care to have the camera stuck in my face for 10 to 12 hours a day. I used to see Ricks stuff in Myrtle Beach Bike Week an though he always did a very nice job.
RC kid
Soda Jerks

« Reply #35 on: December 23, 2009, 08:43:49 am »

I bet he has to make decisions now that he didn't have to make in the past and this stress he is under could be severe. I guess some things can corrupt the process of a restoration and a television show probably is one of those things.

The really bad thing about all of this is the American public is buying into all of this. And I am not talking about one particular restoration either. I am talking about the idea of the reality show. I read once why there are so many reality shows on television now. They are easier, cheaper, and much quicker to produce then something like CSI, and we the consumer are buying into this cheap and easy to produce product.

Does anyone here watch Speed television? I do and I love the shows. But if you study the shows you began to realize that many of them are just thirty minute promotions for the product being used on the show with three minute commercial breaks thrown in at five minute intervals throughout the segment. And it is an extremely successful venture.

And we have bought into it.   
collecture
Soda Jerks

Tom

« Reply #36 on: December 23, 2009, 08:58:40 am »

Other than being force fed Spongebob, Scooby Doo, etc by my kids, I do not watch much TV. I still have that CNBC show on Coca Cola I TIVO'd a month or so ago to finish watching. Except for morning news and Saturday/Sunday football (prefer college), I like to have music on most of the time. I will watch a DVD movie now and then.

I haven't even seen the show Pawn Stars and imagine Rick does do nice work. Like RC said, TV probably does put a lot of additional stress on the process.

Cav 27, 33, CS-55E-2, 72
S-48 DP
Ideal CC 35, Barq's 55
1930s DP Counter Cooler
Victor C-14
Pat Pixley
« Reply #37 on: December 23, 2009, 11:08:14 am »

You know Tom that is not a bad idea Watching Scooby Doo at least they have not ruined that, Have they ?  
Well there is the radio. smile

These show have ruined people it has made them greedy & do thing that they would not normally
 do, but when being on TV and a pile of money is put in front of them  they get all stupid and forget there
values.  Examples John & Katie plus 8  there done and the mess they left those kids in down,
Survivor, Richard  Hatch in Prison over the money that he won he said he thought the show should pay the Fed.
Taxes, The Family that said their son was in the weather balloon ( And trying to get a reality Show)they are doing their sentencing today and may end up doing some time and paying out alot of money,  and that is just a few people who have been touched
by the  TV BUG.

count me out , I like thing the way they are.

« Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 11:32:32 am by Pat Pixley » Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: