SMC Discussion Areas
May 19, 2024, 11:18:29 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Homebrewing  (Read 16233 times)
bubba
Soda Jerks

« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2009, 10:29:48 am »

Bottling time has come... Sat is the day. I plan on loading the dishwasher tonight with my bottles and run the high temp cycle to sanitize the bottles. Hopefully that will be good enough. You said you had some extra tips to help speed things along... Here is my equipment list..

Bottling bucket with spigot.
Bottle filler tube
Racking tube
winged hand capper

Here is the process I think I need to do..

1. Sanitize everything

2. Boil sugar and cool.

3. Pour sugar mix into bottling bucket.

4. Rack from carboy into bottling bucket, leaving as much funk behind as possible. Racking into the bottling bucket is supposed to mix the sugar without having to add too much oxygen.

5. put hose on spigot and filling tube.

6. start filling bottles.

Questions...

Do you fill all then cap or do it in a batch? do you put the caps on the bottles after filling each bottle or just leave them open till ready to cap.

Do you sanitize the caps? I've read comments on both ways...

How far do you fill the bottles?

I also plan on brewing the next batch. Is it advisable to have both going at the same time, or do one then the other? I don't think I'll have a helper..

On the subject of brewing. I don't have gas burner, so it takes forever to heat the water and keep the boil going... In this case, is it better to brew it a bit longer or is it not that critical. 

« Last Edit: February 06, 2009, 10:31:50 am by bubba » Logged

Ken

V-63 -Bottles
2-Cavalier USS-64
VMC ST56B Royal Crown - being built
Vendo HA56C Coke
2-V63C DP
V63C Coke
U-Select-It 5cent candybar machine
mznb1u
Soda Jerks

Those Who Stay Will be Champions!

« Reply #41 on: February 07, 2009, 09:55:42 am »

Bubba,

Sorry I did not respond last night.  Your process looks good.  I would advise against having a batch going and bottling at the same time because you are going to have to get the carboy and everything else cleaned up for the next batch and that will take a bit of time.  Plus you don't want to have a boil over while you are bottling or you will have a real mess on your hands.

Your process looks good and one of the tips I was going to give was boiling the priming sugar in a quart of water and adding it to the beer--as you are doing.  Some kits tell you to put a small amount of priming sugar in each bottle and that takes too much time.  I would suggest that you gently stir the beer once it is combined with the priming mix in the bucket.  This will evenly distribute the priming sugar throughout the batch.

To the questions:

1.  I usually place all  of the clean bottles in the beer case-keeps the bottles from moving around.  I then fill all of the bottles before capping.  There is enough alcohol in the beer at this point that there is less risk of contamination plus all of the bottles have been cleaned.

2.  I usually sanitize the caps by dropping them in a tub of bleach water and then rinsing with cold water.  Then I lay them out on some paper towels to dry while I am filling the bottles.  Better safe than sorry.

3.  Assuming that you are using long-neck bottles 12 or 22 oz.  I usually fill the bottles up to about 1.5 inches from the top.  It is good to have some overhead lighting when filling the bottles because the beer rises quick when the filling gets to the neck.  That amount of air space will give the beer room to release some carbonation when it is opened without bubbling over.

Another tip--if you end up with enough beer to only partially fill a bottle at the end go ahead and cap that bottle as well.  I usually use that bottle as the test bottle about 8 weeks after bottling to see if the beer is ready to drink.

On the burner question--I have an electric stove top as well.  I prefer gas but the "War Department" vetoed that when we were building the house.  The length of the boil is not that critical, it is just important to make sure that all of the sugars are completely dissolved.

And remember--you have to have a beer or two while bottling!!! drinking happydrinkers

Let me know if you have any other questions.

drinking Tim drinking

bubba
Soda Jerks

« Reply #42 on: February 07, 2009, 10:56:13 pm »

Well, my bottling was successful...  I think.. I got everything capped,and nothing leaked.... But I only ended up with 47 bottles... I know I was pretty generous when disposing of the trub, but didn't think I was that generous. Of course I sampled, and it did taste pretty good. Much better than 2 weeks ago... For the amount that wouldn't fill a complete bottle, I ended up drinking it..  happydrinkers my FG was a bit lower than it should have been.. not sure why, but it was 2 points less.

I completed the bottling, then started the next brew. It was much better doing it that way...When I was done, OG was right on the money.. As far as not having enough time for cleaning,  I have 2 fermenters.. I am using the bucket for the primary again. Its got more headroom.. My carboy is only 5 gal and my bucket is 6.5 gal at least.

I don't think I can wait 8 weeks for bottle conditioning... I think in another 8 weeks, I'm going to have 2 cases of empties..

Ken

V-63 -Bottles
2-Cavalier USS-64
Vendo HA56C Coke
2-V63C DP
V63C Coke
bubba
Soda Jerks

« Reply #43 on: February 28, 2009, 10:59:38 pm »

Well, the first batch (american ale) has been a success!... Its been in the bottle for 3 weeks, and it tastes pretty damn good.. I'm really impressed. Batch 2 (red ale) is a week into the secondary and looking pretty. Batch 3 (Belgian Triple)  just got cooked today.. The first 2 batches were made on the electric stove with a 2 gal boil. Todays batch was made in the garage with a turkey fryer and a 4 gal boil. It was interesting to do this batch today with a big boil, but it went well. It was a high gravity (1.088) OG. Luckily, I made a starter batch of yeast, so I should be good. This time I'm using a blowoff tube instead of the airlock. I'm expecting a big fermenting to take place.

Ken

V-63 -Bottles
2-Cavalier USS-64
Vendo HA56C Coke
2-V63C DP
V63C Coke
mznb1u
Soda Jerks

« Reply #44 on: February 28, 2009, 11:19:11 pm »

WOW--Sounds like you are really into the new hobby!

If the first batch taste good as 3 weeks it will be even better in about 5 more!

drinking Tim  drinking
bubba
Soda Jerks

« Reply #45 on: March 01, 2009, 10:03:40 am »

Yeah.... I'm loving it.. unfortunately, everyone wants to taste it and it goes quick.. I wish there was a local HBS so I didn't have to mail order everything.. Its an expensive hobby to try to keep ahead of.. I've been warned by the war department to slow down a bit..

Ken

V-63 -Bottles
2-Cavalier USS-64
Vendo HA56C Coke
2-V63C DP
V63C Coke
mznb1u
Soda Jerks

« Reply #46 on: March 12, 2009, 09:30:09 pm »

I just went to the fridge to grab a Molson and the fridge was bare--but I did find a 22 oz bottle of my last batch of homebrew.   drinking A Czech Pilsner modeled after Pilsner Urquell. drinking  Still good but I overcarbonated this batch so it is very hard to pour without a foam over.

It got me thinking--

Bubba--How is the first batch now that is has had time to finish?  Or did you finish it before it finished?  biggrin laugh Cool

drinking Tim drinking
bubba
Soda Jerks

« Reply #47 on: March 13, 2009, 06:09:48 am »

Well, its almost gone.  drinking I'm trying really hard to hold onto a 6 pack for a while. I think I'm down to 9 left.. For the most part, it tastes really good and consistent. I've had one or 2 that tasted a bit different, but all in all I'm very satisfied with the first batch. I've got batch 2 going into bottles on Sat I hope. If I'm ambitious enough, I'll rack batch 3 to secondary, but I may leave it another week in primary.. It started out as a 1.09 and after 2 weeks, still getting a bubble here and there.. I am really looking forward to the Belgian Tripple, so I don't want to rush it. I'm thinking of getting 2 more batches going so I can leave this one with plenty of time to cure.. Right now, it smells awesome.

Do you have any good extract Kolsch recipes? I've got a buddy that loves Alaskan Summer Ale, but he can't get it in NJ...

Ken

V-63 -Bottles
2-Cavalier USS-64
Vendo HA56C Coke
2-V63C DP
V63C Coke
bubba
Soda Jerks

« Reply #48 on: June 19, 2009, 03:37:32 pm »

Well, the homebrewing is still moving along... Just bought another 2 kits to cook when I get a chance.. I ended up making a logo. I have a bunch that I will be giving out on Sat and thought a label would dress it up nicely... I found a template for some hang tags.... I made this logo in photoshop.. not bad for a rookie I think...

I have it in layers, so depending on what type of beer I'm hanging it on, I can change the bottom that says homebrew..

Ken

V-63 -Bottles
2-Cavalier USS-64
Vendo HA56C Coke
2-V63C DP
V63C Coke
Creighton
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #49 on: June 19, 2009, 11:34:30 pm »