SMC Discussion Areas
May 19, 2024, 08:28:22 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: whatever happened to your word being your bond !  (Read 18407 times)
Jeffmon
25 Cent Member

« on: June 22, 2013, 03:35:38 pm »

So seeing my wife will not hear another word about coke machines or any other vending machine of any sort, I will subject you all to my venting, the great thing about this form of medium is you don't have to read if you so choose, an option my wife is not aforded lol

So two weeks ago I came into contact with a fellow colector, will not mention any names as he is a member on this site, a non active member but a member none the less, it was originally for the Vendo 44 I had been looking for for some time now, original, complete with coin changing mech, the price was good, the seemed extremely nice and honest, and after a few conversations more machines came into play and we ended up making a package deal for 3 machines including the vendo 81D cabinet I have been also looking for, it was a 16 hour drive there and back but the price was great and I really wanted those machines... so after many conversations and lots of pics, the deal was done, the seller assures me everything is great, the machines are sold, go ahead and plan the trip, won't even take a deposite because he sees how exited I am about the deal and knows i'm definitely coming for sure... sooooo I am to pick these machines up this weekend, actually its was originally suppose to be last weekend but tiongs didn't work out so we reschedulled for this weekend, again kept in contact with the seller who again assured me that all was good so I planned everything for this weekend and even took monday off from work... well on my way to New Hampshire today I called the seller before getting to far out of new york state, and he told me all was good exept for one small thing, he sold the 44 to another guy that was there to buy a vendo 56 rt but fell in love with the 44 and offered him $450 more then he had sold it to me for so he couldn't pass up the money... he instead offered me two empty 44 shells lol and assumed I would still drive the 18 hours for the 81D shell and the third machine... Jack ass ! I don't know, maybe I have no right to be extremely upset seeing technicaly he really owed me nothing, but I am furious beyond all hell... anyhow for those of you who do actually read this agonizing rant, for one I apologise lol secondly maybe you can tell me if I'm in the wrong for being this upset... business is business I guess ! Meah I refuse to see it that way !
cokecolaman
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2013, 03:52:03 pm »

It happens...but it's still not right! I would be pissed also...your word is your word- that just means more to some people than others. Sorry to hear your story....been there a few times myself.

VMC Coke 88 (nice original)
VMC Pepsi 81
VMC Orange Crush 81
VMC Squirt 81
VMC Dr. Pepper 81
VMC RC 81
VMC 7up 81 st
Vendo 44 original
Jacobs 56 Pepsi
Cavalier 33
BONOVOX
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2013, 03:58:16 pm »

I agree with you.....
I've bought and sold MANY things with CL and the like, and when I buy, I hope that people keep their word (which many do) and when I sell, I reply in the order that I get the emails, and once I make a deal... THATS IT.  I don't care if I get more from the next guy.  I was happy with the first offer, so I agreed to it, and tough luck on me if someone was willing to of paid more.

I think you have a right to be mad... but in saying that, it's just a right to be mad.  Nothing more, nothing less.
Sometimes it's a blessing that some deals don't go thru.... maybe this is one of them.

happydrinkers

I HAVE A PROBLEM.....
oldskoolcoinop
10 Cent Member

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2013, 05:57:08 pm »

I agree, a man should stick by his word. But, just to play devil's advocate, who postponed the original pick up date? I've been on both sides of these types of deals. Stuff sold out from under me and buyers that want it but postpone making a cash transaction while someone else is there with cash in hand. Can be a tough situation sometimes. You can be burned either way, and sometimes getting burned makes people leary of someone else's word in the future as I'm sure you will be before making a long trip. Myself, I really try and go out of my way to be a man of my word as I like to think a majority of people do. Ahhhh, the trials and tribulations of dealing with people. Just my opinion worth what you paid to read it.  Cool
Jeffmon
25 Cent Member

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2013, 06:31:23 pm »

Thanks, it's nice to see that some poeple still believe that your word is bond ! As far as the postponement, I sugested it, I still would of came down if he had a problem with it but it just made more sence it being father's day weekend and all, he agreed. In retrospect, I should of just went up anyways, brought the kids and made a fun weekend out of it which is what I usually do ! Oh well, on the bright side I can go back to my search for a vmc 81 Pepsi which is what I was on the hunt for when I came across the vendo 44... anyone here got one for sale ? Lol on the down side, I'm starting to think I will never get that dam vendo 81D shell !
HowDueYouDue
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2013, 08:39:57 pm »

Agree with you 100% and would have pulled the uturn as well; strictly on principal. I know how pissed I was when I drove 45 minutes for 3 pedal cars and two minutes from the guys house he calls me and says some guy just drove by and bought them from him (as he is being coached on what to say from someone in the background). So you have every right to be upset. Hope a week from now you find what you are looking for at half the price.

I dreamed I had a good job and I got well paid.
I blew it all at the penny arcade.

-Eric Clapton & B.B. King
Slapshot42
Soda Jerks

Jared

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2013, 08:51:08 pm »

I know the feeling I lost (2) 81's last week.  Both seller said it was a done deal.  One guy told me he sold it and to F...off.  The other seller had and offer from somebody I already  knew even though we had a deal thd buyer proceeded to up my bid, and the seller sold it right out from underneath me!

It's violent business!  I pretty much just want to do deal now from private collectors, or friends!

Sorry bro!
TomFromJersey
Soda Jerks

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2013, 09:34:46 pm »

It sucks, some people don't care about their word. Some of us do! There are still plenty of good people out there. Next time, I would suggest sending a deposit though, it would help keep the seller to the original deal. Something better will come along for you.
  TFJ

Grapette Quickold Standard
AMI I200 AMI H200
Wurlitzer 61, 600, 700, 750, 800, 1080, 2100
Packard Musical Bar
Chicago Coin BandBox
15 remote speakers and counting
A bunch of Grapette stuff
Some really cool vending machines
mygoose101
Soda Jerks

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2013, 11:02:23 pm »

Sucks but it happens both ways. How many times does someone tell you they want something from you so you hold it for them only to have them back out. In the meantime you could have sold it a couple of times. My experience is when I say I'm going to buy something I just pick it up ASAP.

Everything happens for a reason, I guess is that you will find yourself a nicer 44....for less. Hang in there, don't let it beat you up.

Vendo 81A Original
Vendo 81B Original
Vendo 81D Restored
Vendo 56 Restored
VMC Pepsi 81 Restoredx2
Cavalier 72
Ideal Embossed Coke Slider
Stoner Theater Restored
Stoner Theater w/Gum Wheel Restored
Stoner Jr. Restored
Seeburg V200 Jukebox Restored
Seeburg 100C
Seeburg 100R
Seeburg 100W
Pixel
Soda Jerks

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2013, 11:47:23 pm »

Me and my dad were going to look at a "mid-size" Ford car last weekend. No commitment to buy, mind you. The seller requested we come at a specific time, he had someone else interested. Before we head out, we check and the other person hadn't shown. We started out on the 120 mi round trip, got over half way to the place when the seller called and told us the other fellow showed up with the cash. He had another vehicle for sale, that he reduced the price of slightly, but it wasn't worth the trouble. As I said we had no agreement to buy or anything, but it did seem the seller might have been hedging his bets without concern for our inconvenience.

We wound up with something else that needs some repair, but if we can get it right has the potential to be far more useful than the fairly small Ford sedan would have been. I don't consider missing out on the Ford to be such a bad thing after all.

I missed out on a coke machine recently in part because I had no way to haul it. It's tough waiting, but in the end it's probably better.

EDIT: I'm sorry, it was two weekends back. I don't know why but I'm terrible with dates sometimes, but my point remains the same.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 11:53:22 pm by Pixel » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: