SMC Discussion Areas
May 12, 2024, 09:07:13 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Here’s the latest poop on the ‘pre-1960 VENDO business’ posting.  (Read 2184 times)
toolbox

« on: August 29, 2013, 08:55:41 pm »

On May 19, 2013, I posted ‘A description of pre-1960 VENDO business’, for chest-type units only, on this site. There have been over 1,000 hits. So, some of you must be interested.

Right now I’ve been working on ID’ing the Vendo 23-bottle vending units. What a can of worms. What I’ve come to realize is, in the past, there had not been any definitive description of the differences in these units written up for collectors or the restoration companies to use. Therefore, it was very difficult to determine a units actual ID unless it was in the original condition (even then, it is presently difficult). This applies to other model-names also.
You will see all sorts of versions of these machines, on-line, if they were professionally restored. But, I must say in defense of the restoration industry, they also weren’t informed about the differences, plus, they had customers who specified their own desires (rather than sticking to an original design).

Here’s an example of what I’m talking about - The ‘Junior Vendo’ Top was only produced in 1939 & 1940. It does not have a 23-bottle opening bottom plate attached to the bottom of the Top assembly. The 1941-1949 ‘Vendo 123’ Top assembly does have this bottom plate. In this case, it’s as simple as that.

I’m working on the differences between the Vendo V-23 Standard, V-23 Deluxe, V-23A, V-23B and V-23E. There are some surprises coming here also.

In all, Vendo produced 20 different model-name, chest-type, units from 1938 through 1959. My project is to provide a means to ID any and all of these.

Right now, my biggest obstacle is finding Vendo published literature, brochures, advertisements, manuals, announcements, etc., especially for 1946. 1945 to 1949 would also help. 1946 was a big market change year for Vendo and I would think that they must have publicized it.
If any of you people have a source for such info please let me know.

I’m working up a separate web site to publish the finished project. I hope to have it out there on the web sometime in early 2014.

Thanks and have a good one.
Ted

Creighton
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2013, 06:09:57 am »

Hey Ted,
Thanks for the information and looking forward to the website.
Enjoyed your visit to the compound. Holler if ever back this way.
Creighton
toolbox

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2013, 12:28:49 pm »

Thanks Creighton. I'll Holler. I'm sending you a separate email with the new site address. I'd appreciate your taking a pre-gander at it and let me know your thoughts, good, bad or indifferent.
Ya better stock-up on the biscuits and gravy for my next survival trip.
Have a good one.
Ted
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: