SMC Discussion Areas
May 07, 2024, 06:30:10 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Chrome question with video  (Read 4915 times)
MaineT
Soda Jerks

« on: June 19, 2014, 04:52:37 pm »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-1cTpSZ1l8

My question is, with the price of chrome, is anyone having this done on their machine parts? It appears that it is a lot cheaper.

Any thoughts?

Not that Jay Leno is an authority, but he does super high end cars and appears to be using it in his shop.

Tim
collecture
Soda Jerks

Tom

« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2014, 06:11:40 pm »

I think this what Eric at Global has been doing?

http://soda-machines.com/discussions/index.php/topic,11190.0.html
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 06:13:56 pm by collecture » Logged

Cav 27, 33, CS-55E-2, 72
S-48 DP
Ideal CC 35, Barq's 55
1930s DP Counter Cooler
Vendo Coin Changers (ea. style - orig w/ stand)
Vendo Junior (rest.), 23 Deluxe, 39D, 44, 56RT, 80SS, 81A (orig), 81D, 6 C.V.
VMC 27, 27A, 81D DP, 110 DP
Westy WC-42-T, WC-44SK, WD-5(2), WB60
Victor C-14
sc1101
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2014, 10:06:01 pm »

My first time seeing that process and it is amazing. Looks very simple and comes out great.

Siphonmix 5A
Jacobs 56
Surevend P47
Mills 45,47N,65
La Crosse 56
Glascock Countertop
ICY-O Cntrtp Cooler restored
ICY-O 120
Liquid Carbonic Back Bar
1890 Fletcher, 1940 Fischman Fountains
A-8, A-12 Industrial Carton Cooler
Holcomb+Hoke Popcorn
Mengel Wood Cooler
Greg Long

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2014, 08:46:14 am »

I did some reaearch on that process some time back. The suppliers of those type products say the surface must be smooth as glass, which can be hard to do on some parts. But, with chrome platers being few and far between it could be an answer for some people. The "smooth as glass" requirement also applies to the chrome paint products. Hope this helps.
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2014, 08:51:36 am »

My question is........how much money would they have to pay Jay Leno for that endorsment?  His time ain't cheap!

Glen
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2014, 02:50:34 pm »

unless this product has been revamped since 2 years ago, I was not impressed with it when compared to real chrome..but then it has been 2 years since I had some parts done..  if you don't put it next to chrome, sure it looks great... just wondering on longevity? wear? scratches?

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
MaineT
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2014, 09:49:22 am »

unless this product has been revamped since 2 years ago, I was not impressed with it when compared to real chrome..but then it has been 2 years since I had some parts done..  if you don't put it next to chrome, sure it looks great... just wondering on longevity? wear? scratches?

From what I'm seeing, its covered in their clear coat which is supposed to be particularly hard. I would guess its like anything, it depends on how you use it and abuse it. The biggest company out there in the us seems to be spectra chrome. I talked to a powder coater last year and he said he saw it at a trade show and he thought it was sliced bread and was thinking about it himself. It has been on the back of my mind ever since.

The start up cost are high for a hobbyist, but cheap for a small hobby business. The chemicals are expensive to buy and only have a 1 year shelf life, (silver coating), but go a long way because its technically paint. Just a coat of wax to polish it and I wouldn't see why it wouldn't last. The work would be in the body work to get it perfectly smooth.

The way I was thinking is...... chrome plating has gotten so expensive, is this going to catch on to "clean up" or restore the machines that aren't worth the $4000 restoration cost and other restoration stuff. I've seen on cars they shave off the chrome trim or paint it gray because the cost would be more the the car is worth.

I think this what Eric at Global has been doing?

http://soda-machines.com/discussions/index.php/topic,11190.0.html

That lion is the same picture from spectra chrome, I guess I'll shoot him a line and see what he thinks.

My question is........how much money would they have to pay Jay Leno for that endorsment?  His time ain't cheap!

Jay Leno posts a lot of stuff and tips on YouTube channel in his garage, he posts lots of stuff and I started following him on facebook. He has more money they all of us so it may have been just another posting in his garage, but, I'm guessing he got something!!

Tim
georgescustompaint
Soda Jerks

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2014, 10:05:23 am »

Thanks for sharing the link Tim.  I must say, looks pretty neat... almost too good to be true.... I would be interested in seeing the quality in person.
Like Jay Leno said.... might not be the best idea for large parts like bumpers etc, but for those little parts like sold out flags, and some sodas machine hardware, might be a neat alternative....

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: