SMC Discussion Areas
May 13, 2024, 07:30:38 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Just got a CSS-64  (Read 13640 times)
Skeleton Man
Soda Jerks

« on: August 30, 2008, 02:20:41 pm »

Hi guys,

You may recall my topic on the V63 for $800 ? well about a week later I found a cavalier CSS-64 (or CSS-8-64 as the tag says) for a best offer of $50!

I just picked up the machine this morning - 45 mins each way and $20 gas.. peanuts compared to shipping! Was small enough to fit in the back of a friend's van, so that made it easier (otherwise gas money would've tripled for a full size pickup!)

It supposedly works and the mech has been updated to take $1 coins.. haven't tried it yet as I wanted to let it stand a while.. (was in storage, so nowhere to plugin).

It's complete apart from 4 missing shelves..  anybody have these or know of repops ?

Other than that it has a few flaws (besides paint/rust):

1) It's french! (probably orginated in Quebec)
2) No key for coin door lock (unlocked)
3) Main door latch is broken (missing the handle, the latch itself still works)
4) Door glass is shattered
5) Main door or the body is warped slightly - door doesn't close tightly
6) Door lining and seals are cracked/ripped

On the upside:
1) Bottle opener, coin bezel, coin return, and cap catcher are all there
2) Paper decals inside are in fair shape (legible, but not perfect)
3) Coin mech and associated wiring are all there (unlike my previous machine)

Do you think it's worth restoring this machine to its former glory ?  I might not go the whole hog (can't afford $500 for a new compressor and $300 to ship it), but at least I can clean it up some.

Chris
GreginNM
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2008, 12:11:37 am »

Nice score, Chris!  I would think it's worth restoring, especially since you aren't into it very much yet.  Most of what it needs is easily obtained and not too expensive.  That way, you will have a nice machine for around the house to use!

Greg

Vendo: 39B, Standard
Jacobs: 35
Ideal: 35 DP
Westinghouse: WB-66-MD, WD-10, Junior, Standard
SelectiVend: S-48 DP x 2
SelVend: S-47 7up
Pat Pixley
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2008, 12:39:38 am »

Hey Chris, look ok sound like it needs a few items the big thing is if the compressor works,
 if it does not work then I would say no .  On the list of things wrong
2-6 those are items that can be found on ebay or even here but your going to be spending some what  big cash on a few item (door liner $$ , Shipping $ & main door if warped$$) that adds up The main door could be out of kilter from the main door gasket being shot and people slamming it shut and that could be the broke latch Oo
 Lets see what the compressor say when you fire it up hopefull I hope it does work .

Skeleton Man
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2008, 09:22:23 pm »

Fired it up today and lights, camera, action! The sign lit up, the compressor kicked in, and it vends. It kept spitting my coins back out at first, until I discovered it was already ready to vend (once I opened the vend gate, I heard it click and reset, and all was good).

It's just an S75-9800 mech (dunno if it's A or B model), and supposedly it's been upgraded to take CDN $1 coins but I think that's BS because I tried and it won't even fit through the slug rejector! (sticks in the opening, have to hit coin return)

Cools nicely, I didn't take a reading but the coils all frost up and the inside of the machine feels cold (you can feel the cool air).

I emailed Joey (coke and stuff) and he may have the shelves I need for a really good price, I just have to get back to him with photos (didn't realise the shelves varied with each model).

Chris
Skeleton Man
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2008, 03:06:36 pm »

Update.. I found out I have a CSS-8-64J, the label inside the coin door has the letter after it, but the plate on the outside of the machine just says CSS-8-64.

Still needing door glass for machine..  two panes of glass (each 1/8"
thick) with a 1/4 inch thick foam gasket between the two. Measures 37" tall x 5 7/16" wide.

I discovered that correct change and ready to vend ("enjoy coke") lights were missing, and the bottle door light was blown, but luckily it looks like they're just standard night light bulbs (like .25 each) instead of some hard to find bulb for $5.00 each.

I'm impressed that the sign still lights up, even looks like the original starter (it's a little glass bulb, instead of the plastic cylinder I'm used to seeing).

I looked on soda jerk works for parts, but they don't seem to have a huge variety of stuff. There's another one I heard of that has a printed catalog and puts out the official price guide for coke machines - was reading an online copy somewhere, but it was probably old..  where do I get this guide ? (does anyone know what I'm talking about)

I didn't get pictures yet (none worth seeing anyway, just dark low res ones taken with my phone), but there doesn't appear to be a lot of rust, other than around the bottom of the evaporator coils - just lots of dirt and dust and crap (pressure washer should fix that).

Double checked the main door seal and it's actually in better shape than I thought, it's just the plastic door liner that's cracked. If I replace that I'll need a new loading/wiring diagram decal..  anybody reproduce these ?

Chris
bubba
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2008, 06:59:29 pm »

Chris.. did you ask Joey about the bottle door as well? He may have a complete one instead of messing with replacing the glass.

Funtronics also has a big parts store as well as a big catalog. That is probably the one you are talking about.

Ken

V-63 -Bottles
2-Cavalier USS-64
VMC ST56B Royal Crown - being built
Vendo HA56C Coke
2-V63C DP
V63C Coke
U-Select-It 5cent candybar machine
Skeleton Man
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2008, 08:11:43 pm »

Funtronics! that's the one  biggrin  Do they have a website ?

I'll ask Joey about door glass too then.

Chris
collecture
Soda Jerks

Tom

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2008, 10:45:45 pm »

Fun-Tronics is phone order only - (301) 371-5246
You can view the catalog somewhere (I think www.antiquevend.com), but Steve is always adding items so it is best to call.

Cav 27, 33, CS-55E-2, 72
S-48 DP
Ideal CC 35, Barq's 55
1930s DP Counter Cooler
Vendo Coin Changers (ea. style - orig w/ stand)
Vendo Junior (rest.), 23 Deluxe, 39D, 44, 56RT, 80SS, 81A (orig), 81D, 6 C.V.
VMC 27, 27A, 81D DP, 110 DP
Westy WC-42-T, WC-44SK, WD-5(2), WB60
Victor C-14
Skeleton Man
Soda Jerks

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2008, 08:37:58 pm »

Maybe Fun-Tronics will have the glass then. I asked Joey and he suggested home depot or lowes, he doesn't have a door glass. Would this be where I get hammertone paint too ?

Hammertone is the silver stuff everybody uses for liner, shelves, etc right ? Does it just come in a spraybomb ?

Also need some advice on cleaning the compressor, tubing, and coils. I know a pressure washer will remove the dirt and grime, but how do I get it all shiny again ? I don't care if I have to remove fan motors, wiring, etc.. as long as I don't have to cut or remove the tubes (it works right now I don't want to have to re-seal and refill with R12).

What about painting the outside ? Would I be wise to take it to a professional ? I don't own a compressor and I've never painted anything before.

I've never restored a machine before so I need all the help I can get. It's complete apart from a few shelves and the door glass and fully operational (vends and cools).

Chris
collecture
Soda Jerks

Tom

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2008, 09:00:00 pm »

Is there enough of the bottle door glass to measure or is the whole thing gone?
If not, maybe somebody here can give you a measurement - you just need to go to any glass shop with the measurements and they can cut it to size and they will even put the cut corner or hole on it fairly inexpensively.
As far as the liner, I heard from Steve Ebner (Fun-Tronics) that you can go to an automotive shop like PepBoys and get the rubber bumper repair kit (like the 80's cars) for the plastic liners. He said it takes a little work, but you can repair most cracks. I don't think it can do anything for the shattered screw holes though. I'm sure you can call him and ask about it as he is always willing to share information - great guy!.
Fun-Tronics sells a bomb can of Hammertone paint, but I am pretty sure you can buy a bomb of it at Home Depot.
I'll try to post a paint code number later.

Cav 27, 33, CS-55E-2, 72
S-48 DP
Ideal CC 35, Barq's 55
1930s DP Counter Cooler
Vendo Coin Changers (ea. style - orig w/ stand)
Vendo Junior (rest.), 23 Deluxe, 39D, 44, 56RT, 80SS, 81A (orig), 81D, 6 C.V.
VMC 27, 27A, 81D DP, 110 DP
Westy WC-42-T, WC-44SK, WD-5(2), WB60
Victor C-14
Skeleton Man
Soda Jerks

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2008, 12:43:24 am »

Door glass for machine:  two panes of glass (each 1/8"
thick) with a 1/4 inch thick foam gasket between the two. Measures 37" tall x 5 7/16" wide.

I may be off slightly with the measurements, the whole thing was shattered, only the foam gasket was holding it together enough at the bottom and one edge to get a measurement.

If someone could verify the dimensions for the bottle door glass that would be great. It's a Cavalier CSS-8-64J.
coke_and_stuff
Soda Jerks

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2008, 01:25:29 am »

Wal Mart, Home Depot, and Lowes all sell the Rustoleum Hammered paint.

Joey

Collector of nice original paint machines

Vendo 81 B, C, D
VMC 81 Pepsi, 7up, RC, Generic
6CV Coke, RC, Pepsi
VMC 110 RC
Vendo 39
Jacobs 26
Mills 47
Selectivend 64 7up NOS
Plus 30-50 parts and project machines
Kilroy
Soda Jerks

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2008, 05:49:38 pm »

And prolly Canadian Tire.

"Restored they go for $6-7,000!!"
Member : Michigan Mafia
Skeleton Man
Soda Jerks

« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2008, 06:25:05 pm »

Thanks, I'll try crappy tire and if not I'm not too far from home depot and wallmart.

Joey, did you get a chance to check if those shelves fit a CSS-64 ?

Chris
coke_and_stuff
Soda Jerks

« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2008, 09:20:49 pm »

Sorry ive been swamped, I'll let you know in the next day or so, Ive got like 15 projects going at once!!!

Joey

Vendo 81 B, C, D
6CV Coke, RC, Pepsi
VMC 110 RC
Vendo 39
Jacobs 26
Mills 47
Selectivend 64 7up NOS
loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2008, 10:24:59 am »

If Joey can't help I have one shelf for your Css-64 with the bottle guide. if you need it email me at jdloman2000@yahoo.com. I also have a cap catcher and some other small parts if you need anything else.
Skeleton Man
Soda Jerks

« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2008, 07:19:31 pm »

Joey, no problem I know the feeling..  btw, do the shelves come with bottle guides ? (no problem if not)

loman4ec, you wouldn't happen to have a main door latch ? That's the only small thing that needs replacing (I scored on this machine, it came with a cap catcher!)

Chris
coke_and_stuff
Soda Jerks

« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2008, 09:17:29 pm »

My shelves do not fit, I do however have a pile of shelves out of a Cavalier 144, I have cut a few of them down in the past month or so for people needing them for 64s. Wont be correct but can get you by until some do come along. Josh does have a main door latch its on ebay right now. I spotted it last night.

LMK

Joey

Vendo 81 B, C, D
6CV Coke, RC, Pepsi
VMC 110 RC
Vendo 39
Jacobs 26
Mills 47
Selectivend 64 7up NOS
loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2008, 10:07:47 pm »

Yep I have one and it is on ebay right now. The auction number is 110286461593. I also have the one shelf. I guess that is better than nothing.
Skeleton Man
Soda Jerks

« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2008, 01:38:43 am »

Josh, I sent you an email about the shelf and placed a bid on the door latch too..

Joey, if the cut down ones will do the same job for now, that's fine. Ideally I'd like to get the one original shelf from Josh and 3 cut-down shelves from you.

Has anyone ever tried having shelves re-popped ? Surely it wouldn't be much work at all for a sheet metal shop to copy the shelves and re-produce ?

Chris

MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2008, 01:11:12 pm »

It might be cheaper to take 1 of your shelves to a sheet metal shop for
reproduction, since shipping has become more expensive than you may realize.

Glen
johnieG
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

This is fine...everythings going to be OK....

« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2008, 08:51:39 pm »

I just had a complete set of repro shelves on Ebay for the CS64 they go for $125/set of 8 + shipping if you are interested at all.

or if you decide to have them duplicated at a local metal fab shop. be sure they use a heavy enough gauge of metal.

Spoon-feeding Newbies since 2001...Wink
Yeah..220,221 whatever it takes.
Remember, all it needs is a shot of Freon!
The Vendo V-83 is the '59 Edsel of the coke machine world. ;p
Spray painting does NOT restore a compressor
11 is louder than 10...
"Hope" is good, but it's not an action plan.
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2008, 08:55:59 pm »

or if you decide to have them duplicated at a local metal fab shop. be sure they use a heavy enough gauge of metal.

Good point JG.......I can imagine a full shelf that is sagging, is of no use at all  darn

Glen
Skeleton Man
Soda Jerks

« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2008, 02:55:30 pm »

I just had a complete set of repro shelves on Ebay for the CS64 they go for $125/set of 8 + shipping if you are interested at all.

I only need 4, so I would have to split with somebody else (no use paying shipping for the lot when I only need half). Wasn't there someone else looking for CSS-64 shelves ? (under swap meet, someone looking for 3 shelves)

If anyone wants to split the full set with me then I'll take it.

Thanks for the tip re the gauge of metal. I was looking a metal shop in toronto, sent them an email with photos asking if they can repop the shelves. If they say yes I'll probably make the drive down there with an original for them to measure (about 3 hours each way).

Chris
johnieG
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2008, 08:35:44 pm »

Here is what mine look like ( this is a prototype in the picture, so the index-tab on the right isnt notched out yet) Pat pixley's seen them & I think they turned out nice.

11 is louder than 10...
loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2008, 06:26:20 am »

Johnny, That shelf is for an early model 64. Chris needs shelves for a G model. They are very different.
johnieG
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2008, 09:17:24 am »

That's why I thought I'd post the picture! Thanks blush

11 is louder than 10...
Skeleton Man
Soda Jerks

« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2008, 02:42:28 pm »

J model actually, not G.
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: