SMC Discussion Areas
May 12, 2024, 08:34:03 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My Selectivend 1B  (Read 19153 times)
Rhettnificent
« on: April 13, 2008, 06:26:29 pm »

Less than a week ago I purchased my first soda machine, a 7up Selectivend 1B.  What attracted me to it was it's smaller size and classic 7up logos, especially the raised embossing on the plastic marquee (I guess that's what it's called, feel free to correct me on the lingo).

It's condition is quite excellent, especially for being from the early 60's.  It's previous owner bought it back then and stopped using it by the late 80's I believe.  It seems to be a not-so-popular model as I haven't been able to find any info about it online.

After replacing all the bulbs, ballast and cleaning the years of dried syrup off the solenoid mechs, everything looked promising.  However, here's where the story turns.  The last part I was going to tackle was to clean the 4-bank soda rack.  As I was taking the rack outside to the curb in order to spray it off, my roommate called me back in for a moment and upon my return it was gone!

I can't tell you how disappointed I was to know how close it was to being fully functional, only to have this major setback.  I don't even know really what to do know and I am hoping someone can point me in the right direction.  I don't expect to find a correct part per say, but maybe I can modify a similar 4-bank rack or even cut down a larger one to fit?

Worst case scenario is I'll fabricate something myself.  I'm no metal worker, but maybe I can build something out of MDF.  The Selectivend will live!

Anyway, thanks for reading and I look forward to your advice,
Rhett

p.s.  I'll post a pic or two when I get a chance.
Creighton
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2008, 06:42:44 pm »

Wow, that sucks!! Hopefully someone will have a spare.
Creighton
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2008, 09:15:44 pm »

My advice is to move on.......you have plenty more machines available to you!

Glen
loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2008, 09:26:33 pm »

Yep if you like the way that the machine looks you now have a nice looking refrigerator. Now it can be used for more than just cans. Put some shelves in it and you are ready to go.
Pat Pixley
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2008, 09:27:30 pm »

Have you taken a trip around to some of the local dumpsters to see
if it may have been tossed in there. : oh
 Just a thought

I mean who ever took it probably has no idea what they have
 so look around alittle bit first smile
« Last Edit: April 13, 2008, 09:37:45 pm by Pat Pixley » Logged
Rhettnificent
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2008, 10:33:11 am »

Thanks for the advice.  I put some signs up around the neighborhood and went to my local recycling shops.  Nothing.

I don't want to abandon this machine as I'm aware of only one other in existence (a Dr. Pepper version the Pennsylvania Gameroom Warehouse was selling as a project).  Not to mention the time invested in cleaning and getting it work.

Re-creating the can rack is not impossible and I'm drawing up the plans now.

In the meantime, here's some pics of the outside.

johnieG
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

This is fine...everythings going to be OK....

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2008, 10:44:00 am »

If you have a picture of the inside rack please post it, one of us may have a "doner" machine that can supply a transplant part..just a thought.

Spoon-feeding Newbies since 2001...Wink
Yeah..220,221 whatever it takes.
Remember, all it needs is a shot of Freon!
The Vendo V-83 is the '59 Edsel of the coke machine world. ;p
Spray painting does NOT restore a compressor
11 is louder than 10...
"Hope" is good, but it's not an action plan.
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2008, 12:07:07 pm »

Wow that is very nice. So it's pretty understandable why you would want to
salvage what you have.

Johnie has a great idea!  There is no reason you could not adapt another can
stack of similar size into this cabinet. Your only objective is placing the drop chute
directly behind the opening in your machine.

Glen
Bob K
Soda Jerks

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2008, 12:11:56 pm »

Lordy, that's a nice machine!!!!!!!!  tounge
Larry
Grady
Soda Jerks

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2008, 12:22:28 pm »

Boy, that machine is just like 7Ups ad, "crisp and clean."  Square tops are becoming more appealing.  Good luck on getting replacement parts.  Someones got to have a beater around for parts.

A lot of stuff.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: