SMC Discussion Areas
May 13, 2024, 01:34:25 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cavalier C5 power problem  (Read 17741 times)
johnieG
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

This is fine...everythings going to be OK....

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2007, 06:31:42 pm »

Sorry if it sounds like I'm telling it too hard!  blush, it's the 15 years I spend as a certified biomedical electronics technician in the healthcare field, basically, we were responsible for maintaining all of the hospitals electronic & electrical equipment & a big part of that is the monitoring of the leakage current produced from the electrical patient equipment ( it's known a ground leakage), if you go to your local hospital you'll notice that none of the electrical outlets that are used for patient care equipment are GFI protected. that's for the same reason I stated with the soda machines. They are all however grounded! a typical refrigerator can have as much as 500 miliamps ( 1/2 of an amp) of leakage current on the chassis due to electrical/motor inductance & leakage current tha goes right through the insulation of the wiring. and the best part of this story is it's perfectly normal!  ( and by the way, it takes only 10 milliamps of current to stop your heart)

Yes, I know it's probably been working fine for the past few weeks on the GFI, but from my point of view, this means you have (had) a sticky GFI , it should have popped as soon as you fire the machine up! GFI's are required in certain damp / wet electrical hazard areas of a home & business  ( in the USA anyway) but technically not required nor recomended by the electrical code on this type of motorized equipment. Yeah , I know it doesn't seem to make sense, but it's for a reason. there are no foolish questions, only fools who don't ask them,
( & people like me who had way to much caffine the other day! sorry if it seem I was barking at you! ) now ... I'd better see a damn good grounded plug & line cord on the machine!  tounge
« Last Edit: October 18, 2007, 06:46:52 pm by johnieG » Logged

Spoon-feeding Newbies since 2001...Wink
Yeah..220,221 whatever it takes.
Remember, all it needs is a shot of Freon!
The Vendo V-83 is the '59 Edsel of the coke machine world. ;p
Spray painting does NOT restore a compressor
11 is louder than 10...
"Hope" is good, but it's not an action plan.
SquareTopCollector
25 Cent Member

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2007, 06:42:32 pm »

Tell it how it is johnieG, we appreciate that you share your knowledge.

You know, my last hobby required everything to be plugged into a GFCI, now I have to replace the outlets again but this time removing GFCI's instead of installing them. That’s kind of ironic.   
« Last Edit: October 18, 2007, 06:44:20 pm by SquareTopCollector » Logged
hytwr1
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2007, 10:49:24 pm »

Well, the thing is it is a violation of electrical code to run an outside exposed outlet, without GFCI protection. So, I can't change the outlet since this is exposed, unless I some how lock out the outlet so nothing else can be plugged in. This information comes from an electrical engineer friend.

Besides, the machine is rated at 10A and the GFCI is 15A. If we are getting that much draw then, there is something wrong with the machine, not the GFCI; or in this case two different GCFI's.

FWIW, I am an electronic technican too. Also quite versed in electrical wiring of buildings and the code.

Bill
SquareTopCollector
25 Cent Member

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2007, 05:19:28 am »

not sure how it is in the state you live in but here in FL the only time the code will be enforced is when you apply for a permit or in a new construction home/building. If the inspector isnt coming to your house anytime soon then go ahead and change it.
bubba
Soda Jerks

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2007, 05:45:42 am »

not sure how it is in the state you live in but here in FL the only time the code will be enforced is when you apply for a permit or in a new construction home/building. If the inspector isnt coming to your house anytime soon then go ahead and change it.

Uhhh... don't use this logic please.. If for whatever reason you should have a fire, and they determine there should have been a particular outlet and its not there, good luck with your insurance company. Just because and inspector doesn't come to your house, doesn't make it right.

Ken

V-63 -Bottles
2-Cavalier USS-64
VMC ST56B Royal Crown - being built
Vendo HA56C Coke
2-V63C DP
V63C Coke
U-Select-It 5cent candybar machine
SquareTopCollector
25 Cent Member

« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2007, 06:09:49 am »

The chances are slim but we dont want anyone to be unsafe. Good advice bubba
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2007, 09:38:28 am »

OK, now for us non-engineering nerds..........what is GFCI ?

I thought they were only required in bathrooms or near water?

Glen
SquareTopCollector
25 Cent Member

« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2007, 09:50:15 am »

Different states/counties have different codes but a majority have the same code. In my county I am required to install one in the bathroom, kitchen, porch and any room where the outlets are with in the proximity of water. GFCI is an abbreviation of ground fault circuit interrupter.

here is a link for more info

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/pubs/99.html
Jim
Administrator
Soda Jerks

#1 Soda Jerk!

« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2007, 10:55:49 am »

In So. Fla., we're now required to utilize Arc Suppressor Breakers in bedrooms ! ! !
These are glorified GFI breakers that sense minimal arcing from anything plugged/connected into the circuit...

My six cents,

Jim

hytwr1
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2007, 11:05:35 am »

According to the NEC (National Electrical Code) 2005, Article 422, part 422.51, starting January 1, 2005, cord-and plug connected vending machines with have either integral machine or cord GCFI protection, or be connected to a branch circuit with GFCI protection.

Bill
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: