SMC Discussion Areas
May 13, 2024, 02:48:31 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Markito's vendo 56 (ha56b) restoration  (Read 14547 times)
« on: March 02, 2005, 10:18:16 am »

O.k., so many of you know that I bought a Vendo 56 (HA56B) on eBay for a good price. I didn't have the money to pay for freight, so I planned on driving down to Iowa to pick it up.

Well it ended up being just over 9 hours of driving (round trip) yesterday, from Saint Paul, MN to Hazleton, Iowa and back, but I got it home.

I drove all 9 hours in a row, because after the 4 1/2 hours I pulled up, put the machine in my van and then drove back the other 4 1/2 hours. Actually, the drive didn't even feel that long because I had "The DaVinci Code" unabridged audio book on my iPod, so the time flew by.

Anyway, when I got there, it was less attractive than I thought it would be, but with a facelift, it will end up just fine.

First off, I just had to take and show you this photo, I passed this sign on the country roads on my long drive to pick up the Vendo 56:

« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2005, 10:23:41 am »

First I was disappointed that the sign on the front was metal and not lighted (it looked lighted to be in the auction photos) and the sign is quite faded.

But after I got it home and removed the sign, I saw that they actually make them so that you can swap the metal sign with a lighted one. There was even electrical to plug into and a hole to get it to behind the sign. So now I am looking for a lightable sign that is the right size.

Anyway, here is how it looked when I got it home and down in the basement:
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2005, 10:24:41 am »

[Posted twice. Jim, can you please delete this one? Thanks.]

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2005, 10:27:57 am »

Here's the bottle door. Doesn't look too bad. Those are a few of my Mexican Cokes in there:
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2005, 10:29:20 am »

Here's the coin door. The bad spraypaint job even extended inside the coin door area for some reason:
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2005, 10:30:31 am »

Here's the interior. At least all of the shelves are there:
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2005, 10:31:45 am »

Here's a close up of the sad, faded metal sign:
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2005, 10:36:13 am »

So now for the paint job. At some point, someone had spray painted black paint over the wood grain decals. Didn't take too well and looked even worse than wood grain!

I had planned to rent a heat gun and peel it off like that, but I got out my razor blade and just couldn't help starting to scrape right away. Here it is mid-way through:
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2005, 10:36:59 am »

Here's a close up:
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2005, 10:39:14 am »

Then I just couldn't stop. It was very late at night and there I was scraping away. Here it is when I finally quit. I plan to rent a heat gun today and finish that panel up as well as the two small panels at the bottom. Then sand those panels and sand any rust spots on the machine's exterior. Then I'm gonna bring it to Maaco. They said they could paint it for me.
Please note the pile of paint and wg decal shavings on the floor:

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: