SMC Discussion Areas
May 13, 2024, 02:30:21 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: First machine, seeking advice on Westinghouse WC-60  (Read 16395 times)
mznb1u
Soda Jerks

Those Who Stay Will be Champions!

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2012, 12:26:18 pm »

I can't tell from the picture but it looks like there is something not right with the coin door lock.  Unless that is the key just sticking out of the lock?

I would make absolutely sure that the vend motor is working and all else is in order before offering him too much.  He has identified that the machine has a cooling issue and this could be as simple as finding the leak and recharging the system to a complete replacement of the compressor.  Either way, that is going to cost you money to get it repaired and if it requires a complete cooling system rebuild--you may end up with more money into the machine than it is worth.

I have seen more than a few of the Westinghouse Select-O-Matic machines.  I don't know that they are particularly rare but the vend motor issue has probably sent a lot of them to the scrap heap well before their time.  Great looking machine and nice sized but make sure you are going into the deal with your eyes wide open!

Those of us who have collected a while have all bought machines that turned out to be mistakes.  Just trying to make sure it doesn't happen to you.  And as far as the price, that machine has been listed for more than a week and has not sold.  He might be dealing with a lot of tire kickers who are calling him and not bothering to come and see the machine.  Go in with $200 in hand and you might be surprised.  You can always increase your offer.  
Slider-Bob
Soda Jerks

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2012, 03:01:18 pm »

I offered him 200 about 2 weeks ago. At that time, he said he had 1 other offer of 200. 

I called him again last Saturday at noon on the number he provided in his CL to see where he was at on it, and he gave me a hard time for calling him while he's at work...Really?Huh? It's a Saturday dude...don't put your number in the CL ad if you don't want phone calls, especially on a weekend when many people are off.

Never told me it wasn't cooling well either. I'm out.

Restored Coke 81D
Restored Pepsi, 7up VMC 81
Restored Popperette
Restored Wayne 60
krovel
5 Cent Member

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2012, 09:50:34 pm »

looks like everyone has hit the highlights on this machine so far.

About the only thing I could add is on the door where the lock is it looks like it might not be the original door. if you look at the white paint on the sides where it ends beside the small door, its supposed to go across the top of that door. About and inch down. At least it does on mine, and a couple of others i have seen. There are many different types of course but it just looks odd to me. 

And no matter what if the vend motor doesn't work do not walk away....please run, it is no joke when everyone on here says the vend motor is hard to find and almost impossible to find a replacement. it is a cool machine, but it is not worth that much trouble.

Kevin

Westinghouse WB-60 (single select)
Westinghouse WB102
Kilroy
Soda Jerks

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2012, 02:58:01 pm »

Kevin

http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/atq/3280841301.html

If you're looking at Toledo's Cl, i am guessing you're fairly close to fashionable Ferndale.
i have no connection to this machine or it's seller, nor have I seen it in person.

"Restored they go for $6-7,000!!"
Member : Michigan Mafia
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2012, 03:27:28 pm »

"My sister is in need of money so she's willing to negotiate - no low ballers" biggrin

Glen
skreien

« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2012, 01:07:47 pm »

I figured out after looking at the selling values that these are probably like old cars. They're lots of fun to own, they take some money now and then to keep them going, and when you finally do sell it you almost never get back your full investment.  If I can break even or come out a little ahead after enjoying it for several years I'll be happy. I like the idea of it being a bit more rare than the rest though, it might make it easier to sell someday.
skreien

« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2012, 07:20:59 pm »

Well, I guess I'm out on the WC-60 from Craigslist also.  I've left several messages for the guy, talked to him twice.  Every time I say I want to take a look at the machine and make him an offer he blows me off.  I don't think he's actually looking to sell it.  Or not seriously anyway.  I think he's just trying to get an idea what it's worth.
johnieG
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

This is fine...everythings going to be OK....

« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2012, 09:08:15 pm »

He said he's turned down $250 multiple times in the past before he wanted to sell it, so I'll probably start at $250 then.  Otherwise I think I'd just tick him off.  Thanks!

BTW, meant to ask this before, but anyone have any idea how rare the WC-60 model is?  This is the first one I've seen, and I've been watching ebay and craigslist for about 5 weeks now.

They are not as hard to find as one might thing, not as common as the 78 model or the 102, but just ask Pat Pixley, how many of these have I personally parted out & dragged the rusted carcasses to the scrap-metal yard, ( Pat got a bunch of the spare parts) & before you ask, sorry no vending motors to part with... tounge

So I'd tell your buddy to go ahead & sit on it for a while, a long while, another one will pop up shortly, fall is the time when languishing summer projects make room for the miss's  car in the garage for the winter.

Spoon-feeding Newbies since 2001...Wink
Yeah..220,221 whatever it takes.
Remember, all it needs is a shot of Freon!
The Vendo V-83 is the '59 Edsel of the coke machine world. ;p
Spray painting does NOT restore a compressor
11 is louder than 10...
"Hope" is good, but it's not an action plan.
Tomahawk27
5 Cent Member

« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2012, 11:00:46 pm »

Well, I guess I'm out on the WC-60 from Craigslist also.  I've left several messages for the guy, talked to him twice.  Every time I say I want to take a look at the machine and make him an offer he blows me off.  I don't think he's actually looking to sell it.  Or not seriously anyway.  I think he's just trying to get an idea what it's worth.

Had the same thing happen to me. Guy was listing a Cavalier model for about $150 or so, needed some work but I was interested. Called him, talked for a good 5 -10 minutes, set up the pickup date and everything. Day of, he texts me and just says "can't do it today." I ask when is the next best day, call him 2 or 3 more times and he never responds. I tell my buddy to call, the guy picks up first try and says the machine is still available just not for a while? Whatever, his loss
skreien

« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2012, 05:39:18 am »

Any other models anyone thinks I should look at?  I'd like one that could vend bottles and cans so I can get rid of the fridge in the basement. I'm not stuck on the Westinghouse, that's just the only one I know of that would do both. Frankly not being able to replace the vend motors have me a bit nervous anyway.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: