SMC Discussion Areas
May 05, 2024, 06:14:48 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Another Juke Value Question  (Read 14898 times)
loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« on: May 30, 2009, 12:13:45 am »

I found a Seeburg M100A that has been converted to play 45's. It is complete and in restorable condition. The Control unit has been rebuilt and but the owner says it needs a reversing switch and the amp rebuilt. It is complete and has a good cabinet and glass. I t is about a 3.5 hour drive for me each way. I can get the box for $300. Should I go get it? Is an A worth it? I figure it is worth that in parts probably. The glass is the same as a C and my C needs glass. But even still is an A worth restoring? It would be for resale as I already have my Rock-ola. I would just store it for a few years until I come home. I have plenty of free storage available. What do you all think? The A is not the best looking and it has been converted to 45's which I don't know if thats a plus or a minus. What do you think?
BrianB
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2009, 08:43:49 am »

A reversing switch is a set of stacked contacts with a snap switch used to change the direction of the carriage as it reaches the outer limit of it's travel (left to right) I've seen a people on ebay selling Reversing Switchs for under $25. Rebuilding the amp, if you have Bill Bickers do it, will cost you $195 + S&H. Rebuilding an amp is always the norm on an unrestored box so this cost should always be figured into the buying price equation unless the seller speciffically states that the amplifier has been rebuilt and tested.

Finding an "A" that has been converted to play 45's is very common. In my opinion, it dosen't take a lot away from the value in today's market. Most buyers want to play what they know, 45's.

I would buy it for $300.

Brian
loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2009, 08:59:57 am »

Thanks. Does anyone have a juke value book? What does it say a Seeburg A is worth? What parts are sellable for other machines? The dome is the same for a C right? I would be money ahead to buy it just for the glass and anything else I make would be extra. The glass is in great cond and the glass in my C is all bad. On the other hand it may be worth a restoration and sell it. I am torn on what to do. It is quite a far trip.
cokemachinesandmore
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2009, 10:08:37 am »

i am 99% sure that the dome glass from a seeburg a will not fit on a seeburg c.  i use to have the a, b and c but sonly have a seeburg b left so i cant take measurements.
loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2009, 10:27:45 am »

I thought the top of the A, B and C were the same?Huh???
loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2009, 10:35:19 am »

Your right they are different. My bad. still is it worth the money for resale or part out? Is there a market?
Kilroy
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2009, 10:46:05 am »

The A, in my opinion is the red headed step child of the Seeburgs. It's bulkier than the later Select-o-Matic models, it was originally designed for 78's, and yeah there is a conversion kit which was widely used to allow it to play 45's,  but you lose sound quality. We're working on rebuilding an A mech right now, the #$$ is built like a tank, and just as heavy.
that said,  for $300, and free storage,  sit on it  until the market gets better. You won't get the same dollar as a C or G, or but anything over your initial purchase price is profit.

"Restored they go for $6-7,000!!"
Member : Michigan Mafia
David D
Soda Jerks

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2009, 02:01:01 pm »

Josh,

I don't believe many of the A parts are interchangeable on other models.  After the B many of the parts were interchangeable. 
loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2009, 10:01:15 pm »

Here is a pic of the juke I am looking at and also a file photo of what it should look like. To me it looks like a nice box. the reason I posted the file photo is to ask the people that have seen one of these in the past if the grill really lights up like that. I am sure it is lit up from the top and it is just a reflection, but does it really look like that? I like it.

The juke I am looking at is in pretty good shape and is 100% complete except the coin door.
David D
Soda Jerks

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2009, 10:32:08 pm »

Josh,

The grill doesn't light up, there is a motorized transparent tray above the grill, the light shines through the tray/film and reflects on the grill slats.   Since it's a reflection it's not as clearly defined as the example in the photo.

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: