SMC Discussion Areas
May 20, 2024, 11:49:01 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Just picked up a 7-up Ideal 85  (Read 9624 times)
brasskey
25 Cent Member

« on: January 30, 2012, 01:51:02 am »

I know these bigger ones aren't as desirable, but I always wanted one and this seemed like a good price ($150) so I picked it up.  Did I pay too much?  It cools well, usual dents and dings for an older machine, some bottom rust and rack is rusted, the cap catcher is missing, side door lock is missing, sheet metal platform below rack not complete, coin mech lock plate missing, the coin mech box is bent at the coin return, and coin mech doesn't seem to work (though I haven't looked into it yet).  Also, an evaporator seems to be where the extra bottle storage is located.  I'll have to see what's going on there.  It's looks like, and I'm hoping, it is just a coil for cold water that was used for a fountain that was drilled behind the coin mech.  Does everything else seem to be there?

« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 02:02:12 am by brasskey » Logged
mznb1u
Soda Jerks

Those Who Stay Will be Champions!

« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2012, 10:19:29 am »

Not an expert but I thought all of the Ideals were cooled by a coil running around the outside of the inside cabinet.  It looks to me like somebody changed the refrigeration unit on that machine and cut a section out of the shelf below the rack to allow cool air from the evaporator to circulate through the cabinet and cool things.  Cap catcher should be easy to locate.  Probably did not pay too much but if you put a lot of money into it, you will not get it out.  I would think that selling the coin mech and rack could get you back your investment.

Of course, if you are keeping it those make great party coolers.

drinking Tim drinking
coke_and_stuff
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2012, 04:38:32 pm »

That cooling unit is correct, Ive owned 4-5 of these bigger Ideal machines and all had cooling units that when unlatched would slide out for service or repair.

Joey

Collector of nice original paint machines

Vendo 81 B, C, D
VMC 81 Pepsi, 7up, RC, Generic
6CV Coke, RC, Pepsi
VMC 110 RC
Vendo 39
Jacobs 26
Mills 47
Selectivend 64 7up NOS
Plus 30-50 parts and project machines
Pat Pixley
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2012, 05:46:35 pm »

Like Joey said  it is correct I have one over in storage,  looking at parting that thing out this spring.
CoinOpCrazy
5 Cent Member

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2012, 08:30:17 pm »

If you decide to part it out let me know. I'm interested in the coin mech. Edit: Nermind...just found out my father picked one up for me.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 02:06:19 pm by CoinOpCrazy » Logged

Ideal 55 Slider (Embossed Double Dot Pepsi) Restored
Ideal 35 (Generic White) Needs to be restored
Ideal 35 (Dr.Pepper) Needs to be restored
56 Square Top (Coca Cola)
Heinz Pepsi Gull Wing - Needs to be restored
Westinghouse 42T - For Sale
David D
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2012, 10:59:49 pm »

You should be fine as long as you don't drop too much into it.  Does it cool?   For some reason Ideal the coin mech's have been going for quite a bit on ebay lately, you could re-coup the $150 on the mech. 
brasskey
25 Cent Member

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2012, 07:57:49 pm »

You should be fine as long as you don't drop too much into it.  Does it cool?   For some reason Ideal the coin mech's have been going for quite a bit on ebay lately, you could re-coup the $150 on the mech. 

The compressor does work but I'm worried what I'll find when I take the panels off.  I can see a little bit of rust on the bottom of the panels so I assume they are mostly all rusted out where they connect to the the base.
CoinOpCrazy
5 Cent Member

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2012, 10:21:08 pm »

Pull them out/sand blast them and you will know what you have to work with. You could have it dipped in acid but well that would likely leave you with nothing to work with. If they are ate out then you may as well go with a new tub. Got a question about that coin mech if anyone knows. It has two coin slots like one I have for my Ideal 55. How does that work with a slider?

collecture
Soda Jerks

Tom

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2012, 09:21:25 am »

Got a question about that coin mech if anyone knows. It has two coin slots like one I have for my Ideal 55. How does that work with a slider?

It is a 15c mech. There should be two cams and two rejectors inside. It would require one nickel and one dime to vend.

Cav 27, 33, CS-55E-2, 72
S-48 DP
Ideal CC 35, Barq's 55
1930s DP Counter Cooler
Vendo Coin Changers (ea. style - orig w/ stand)
Vendo Junior (rest.), 23 Deluxe, 39D, 44, 56RT, 80SS, 81A (orig), 81D, 6 C.V.
VMC 27, 27A, 81D DP, 110 DP
Westy WC-42-T, WC-44SK, WD-5(2), WB60
Victor C-14
CoinOpCrazy
5 Cent Member

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2012, 12:05:07 pm »

Hmm yeah I thought so. I only got the one mech and one cam. It looks as though they originally had one slot covered by the plate.

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: