SMC Discussion Areas
May 10, 2024, 03:34:51 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: STONER THEATER CANDY MACHINE VALUE  (Read 11634 times)
jbrumett
10 Cent Member

« on: September 16, 2011, 05:39:59 pm »

Good evening everyone...

New to the site here and would appreciate any help I can get. I have an opportunity to purchase a Stoner Theater Machine locally and I am not sure what to offer the guy. As the story goes this machine was pulled out of a theater that was being renovated some 25 years ago and has been sitting in this guys basement ever since. Problem is that he has never had a key to it so not sure if its missing any of the mechanicals or not. He does not want to force open it for fear of doing further damage. Also, from sitting in his basement it does have major rust issues around the bottom of the base. Furthermore, the front panel of the base is missing. Other than that the machine looks pretty solid from the pictures he has sent me.

Questions remains though is how much should I offer him for this? I am going to tommorrow ( my only oppoprtunity) to make an offer and don't want to pass up a rare opportunity. Therefore, I am looking for some guidance from you fine folks out here at www.soda-machines.com to tell me what I need to do.

P.S. He has agreed to $800 for it as it sits.

Thanks for your time,

Jeff

Pepsi 81, 7up 81, Generic 81
Vendo Milk & Ice Cream
2 Stoner Theaters, Cigarette, Pastry, Cafe 500
Minit Pop, Popcorn Sez, You'll Like It
U Select It
rayg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2011, 06:29:50 pm »

HI Jeff and welcome !  you came to the right place we have allot of stoner experts here, I myself am still a semi novice,  but I did learn allot from the experts here while working on my stoner senior.. If the lock is drill out correctly it shouldn't cause any damage to the machine.  I think $800 for a Theater that all there isn't a bad price , The rust on the bottom, should clean up the metal in the base is fairly heavy. What would concern me is buying it without checking the mech inside, that's the heart of the machine.
 Is there a power cord it the back, and if so does it light up? How are the pulls and display glass? 

check out fellow members theater to compare  it to.

http://soda-machines.com/discussions/index.php/topic,13228.0.html

Please post photos!

1954 Stoner Senior
1964 United Orbit shuffle bowler   
1973 Cavalier USS-96
1976 Atari Night Driver
1979 Space Invaders Deluxe
1980 Centipede Cabaret (60in1)
1984 Williams Laser Cue Pinball
1993 IGT Wild Cherry Slot
1996 Police Trainer
2016 Visual Pinball Machine
Member : Michigan Mafia
jbrumett
10 Cent Member

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2011, 06:41:50 pm »

Thanks for getting back to me so fast!!!!

Picture indicates that it has a cord with it but bulbs are missing so dont know if it even lights up!!!!

Here is a link to some pictures that i just got....

https://picasaweb.google.com/darren.jenkinson/CandyMachine?feat=email#

Vendo Milk & Ice Cream
U Select It
Creighton
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2011, 07:51:30 pm »

Welcome!
Appears to be a very nice original. The rusted base can be fixed. Hope the factory wood grain can be saved. I'd pay $800 as it sits but would try for $600 (pointing out the rust).
Good luck and hope you get it!!
Creighton

jbrumett
10 Cent Member

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2011, 05:24:25 pm »

Thought I would let everyone know that I am now a proud owner of a Stoner Theater that is almost complete!!! All of the mechanicals including a working coin mech were there after all. The only thing that is missing is the light assembly. If anyone can help with that it would be most appreciated.

Also, wanted to say thanks to everyone who has helped me out along the way.... look forward to this being an exciting and rewarding hobby. (By the way, this is my first purchase). Soda machines next !!!!!

P.S. I live in Kentucky so if anyone ever needs anything in my neck of the woods please let me know

Best Regards,

Jeff

Vendo Milk & Ice Cream
U Select It
cokemachinesandmore
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2011, 05:44:06 pm »

wow congrats nice buy
cokecolaman
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2011, 06:57:36 pm »

I'm jealous...I've been looking for one around me and I haven't seen one...nice pick up.

VMC Coke 88 (nice original)
VMC Pepsi 81
VMC Orange Crush 81
VMC Squirt 81
VMC Dr. Pepper 81
VMC RC 81
VMC 7up 81 st
Vendo 44 original
Jacobs 56 Pepsi
Cavalier 33
mznb1u
Soda Jerks

Those Who Stay Will be Champions!

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2011, 07:11:43 pm »

That is a pretty nice looking machine but there are some parts missing so hopefully you got him down on the price a bit.  If you are looking for parts, Curtis (memorylane) is the expert and he is your guyfor advice as well.

drinking Tim drinking
Ken R
Soda Jerks

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2011, 10:19:46 pm »

Just curious all, I have seen a lot of comments about buying these Stoners, but have never seen one in my neck of the woods (Texas).  I was just wondering, are these things something that were typically only in a particular region of the country or were they everywhere and I'll still have an opportunity here to possibly come across one?

Vendolator VMC-149
Vendolator VF-56-7
MCarter
Soda Jerks

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2011, 10:34:12 pm »

Where at in kentucky?  Nice pick up

Matt

RC VMC - 81 Orignal
Vendo V-56 Two Tone Round Top ~~ Currently in use
Seeburg 100 G Jukebox ~~ Restored
Minit Pop Popcorn Machine ~~ Restored
Cavalier 55-D ~~ Restored
Rockola 1426 ~~ Orignal--- For Sale
Chicago Coin Band Box ~~~ Restored
Ltransam
Soda Jerks

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2011, 10:40:57 pm »

Yea Jeff

Were In Kentucky ?I'm From Just North Of Cincinnati .But My Work Has Me Going To Bardstown alot

Glascock Counter Top
VMC 81 7Up
Vendo-110-81D-V-56 V-23
Jacobs Pepsi-56
Stoner Cookie &5 Pull Pastry& 180 Candy
Kelvinator FS-51(Canada)
Cavalier's C-55-E-C-55-D
Selmix Sprite
Selmix Pepsi on Draugh
bremett
5 Cent Member

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2011, 12:35:14 am »

Nice Stoner.
jbrumett
10 Cent Member

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2011, 05:12:03 pm »

I live in Russell Springs,KY. It's about 30 minutes from Somerset.  If you are familiar with Lake Cumberland then you know where i am. Looking forward to getting started on this machine but it may end up a winter project.... Who knows.  Nonetheless, I am going to take everyone else's advice and reach out to Curtis at Memory Lane. Been checking his stuff out for a while now and I am deeply impressed with what I have seen. The History Channel should have picked this guy up to do a show if you ask me!!!!

Vendo Milk & Ice Cream
U Select It
bcharlton
Soda Jerks

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2011, 10:14:52 am »

let me know if you need help.  Curtis usually puts in a new lighting fixture so that may be the way to go.  Mine has the original fixture. 

Good luck with it.

Brian

bcexpress

Vendo 39 Original
Cavalier C-51 Restored
Cavalier C-96 Restored (almost done)
GE Double Chiller Restored
Cavalier C-33 7 Up Restored
Vendo 27b Pepsi
Vendo 81b
Westinghouse wd-5 / WE-6
3 Stoner Candy/Theatre/Junior/180
Bastian Blessing Bobtail soda fountain
Jacobs 56 Pepsi
Roadman
25 Cent Member

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2011, 09:00:24 am »

Jeff, I think you did very well if you bought this Stoner Theatre machine for $800 or less. I stumbled across this same machine a few weeks ago and was asleep at the switch, it would have been a reasonable drive for me from Upstate NY.  Yes, that machine has some problems but the majority of the Stoners seem to have issues with missing parts, light damage, rust, etc. They seem to come that way but parts are available. It's no surprise...the Stoners are usually 50-60 years old were stored as "near junk" in barns, basements, and warehouses.  In the last year or so, I've only spotted three other unrestored Stoner Theatres on Ebay or Craig's list.

One was an early grade Stoner Theatre, two lights at the top, machine open like a clamshell vs. side to side, that machine was listed at $5,000. That Stoner Theatre version is probably the rarest Theatre but that price was too high.   Another Theatre was listed in Phoenix at $1,800 but appeared to have some damage, and there was another Stoner Theate in Illinois a couple months ago that looked nice but went for $2,000 (supposedly). Judging from other member postings on these boards, only a handful of Stoner Theatres have showed up  over the past couple years. There are a few Stoner "fake Theatres" out there...standard 180's that have had light kits added, incluidng one on American Restoration. s  Good luck with you restoration!

Dave
« Last Edit: October 16, 2011, 09:04:47 am by Roadman » Logged
BONOVOX
Soda Jerks

« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2011, 12:32:54 pm »

NICE FIND!!

Can't wait to see it back to its original glory!!!!  happydrinkers

I HAVE A PROBLEM.....
jbrumett
10 Cent Member

« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2011, 12:43:14 pm »

Me too Bonovox!!!!

Don't know how long it will take but I will post pictures once I start.

By the way, I have seen some earlier posts by you about the Chicago show. Would love to be there but I am out of town that weekend.

Nonetheless, have a great time and would love to see some pics of your purchases.

Jeff

Vendo Milk & Ice Cream
U Select It
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: