SMC Discussion Areas
May 10, 2024, 10:30:14 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Coca Cola Lollipop Sign  (Read 14259 times)
sjlstevens
« on: February 23, 2011, 02:33:24 am »

Hello all. It is regrettable that my first post will be one of inquiry, instead of assistance, but here it goes.

I am new here and have a question about a recent purchase that I have made.

It was advertised as "1930's Coca Cola Restored Porcelain Lollipop Sign Coke"

I know I should have asked more questions, but had assumed that all the parts were original, and was even told that everything is "real" during texting conversations about the item before purchase.

Here are some pics of the sign.

http://bit.ly/fX1i0N

Turns out the actual sign portion is a reproduction.  I am being told that the rest of the stand and holder are original.  I am just looking for an estimate for what this may be worth with this new information.  The reason for purchase was merely as an investment, one that I could appreciate over time, and possibly re-sale later on or pass it on to my kids.  I am more into the machines, and had purchased a Vendo 81b from the same seller.  He seemed like a really decent person, however, now I am even second-guessing that purchase.

Any constructive input would be greatly appreciated, and you guys have a great site here.
halehouse
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011, 07:25:48 am »

How do you know that the sign portion is a reproduction?

Vendo 63 Stylestar (Restored)
Glascock Standard
Cornelius 50 Slider (Restored)
Ltransam
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2011, 07:40:13 am »

Hum ,
                  I have The Same Sign . The Trade Marke Is Yellow In Mine . I'm Assuming It's Porcelain ? Mine Is And It SHOULD be dateded Mine Is At around ?5:30 I've seen too dates Mine 1939 & 1941 . It Looks Nice .And I've Never heard of them Reproducing this Sign

« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 12:45:16 pm by Ltransam » Logged

Glascock Counter Top
VMC 81 7Up
Vendo-110-81D-V-56 V-23
Jacobs Pepsi-56
Stoner Cookie &5 Pull Pastry& 180 Candy
Kelvinator FS-51(Canada)
Cavalier's C-55-E-C-55-D
Selmix Sprite
Selmix Pepsi on Draugh
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2011, 09:16:43 am »

I have owned several of these signs and if it is a reproduction, it's a darn good one.  Like stated, it should be marked with with a date and manufacturer on the bottom edge on the white..

was this purchased in the US or overseas... alot more repros are popping up over there than in the states.. and this is happing ALOT with Gas Oil Signs...

it looks TOO Perfect to be an original... These signs always had imperfections in them , not to mention usually some little rock chip or bb hole... If it is a perfect original the value would be well over 1800-2000 for this sign.. maybe more.. I had seen a New old stock example of this sign, and it was in the original shipping crate and it fetched 2500 about 5 years ago..

if its' a fake, hopefully you didn't pay more than 350-400 for it.. as that I think would be it's value?

Just my two cents worth...

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
sjlstevens
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2011, 11:05:16 am »

During a recent conversation with the seller, he was providing me with pictures of the policeman sign(he has two) and mentioned that they were reproductions.  When I re-asked him about the authenticity of my sign, after I purchased it, he then stated that the stand is original.  When asked about the sign specifically, he said 'yes' it was a reproduction.

I paid $750.

I recently have looked at a couple of bases on ebay, and the ones I have seen have shown a couple of casting marks on the top, and on the bottom.  I do not see these in the close-up of this base.

Thanks for the info.  I am going to see if I can open up conversation with him and request, if nothing else, credit to another machine or just my money back.
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2011, 12:43:59 pm »

I'd hope you could recoup some of your money or get a refund.. 750 for a repro sign even though it looks nice is way too much,, plus you mentioned you wanted something that would mature in value? not with this one.

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2011, 02:51:51 pm »

you said you paid for it but have not got it yet and it was an ebay auction right? Did you pay by paypal or credit card? I would deny the payments and open a claim with ebay. Since he lied about it being real and if you have an email saying it is real then you have a good claim. have you asked the seller for your money back since he deceived you? If it was not an ebay sale you could possibly get the law involved. If you have the text still print it out and have an expert look at the sign and prove its a repop you may have a small claims case. Just a thought
mygoose101
Soda Jerks

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2011, 12:30:17 am »

Here is the story. I sold Steve, the author of this post, the Lolipop Sign. I had it on e-bay for a week and listed it as a restored original. I did sell him a unrestored Vendo 81b prior through ebay and we did the deal on the Lolipop outside of ebay as I would consider him a friend. I have exchanged about a hundred text along with phone calls and e-mails. Steve is a great busy guy and I have nothing against him. He paid $750 for the Lolipop and I am holding it for him until the weekend. During this time I picked up 2 reproduction Policeman signs. I texted him a picture of one to see if he had a interest. I told him they were reproductions on original bases. He told me he didn't know they made a reproduction Policeman sign. Through our text he asked me about his Lolipop sign I was holding for him. He asked me if the base was original and I told him yes. Somehow in the next few text he thought I told him the sign was a reproduction, it is not. I was referring to the Policeman signs I have, not his Lolipop. I think everybody here knows that the Lolipop sign was never reproduced, at least not yet. Long and short, the Lolipop is a restored original and worth $750 or more all day long.

Vendo 81A Original
Vendo 81B Original
Vendo 81D Restored
Vendo 56 Restored
VMC Pepsi 81 Restoredx2
Cavalier 72
Ideal Embossed Coke Slider
Stoner Theater Restored
Stoner Theater w/Gum Wheel Restored
Stoner Jr. Restored
Seeburg V200 Jukebox Restored
Seeburg 100C
Seeburg 100R
Seeburg 100W
davethebirdman
Soda Jerks

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2011, 02:04:55 am »

Excellent .... All cleared up. Looks like you got a bargain...
sjlstevens
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2011, 02:43:49 am »

Yes, all cleared up.  My misunderstanding.

It was definitely not my intention, whatsoever, to malign anyone.  I was just looking for some input on worth of this sign, and verification from anyone here that may have more insight, than I have, on this item.

I really do appreciate the help and am looking forward to learning more from all the contributors here.
loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2011, 04:13:37 am »

Well thats great news. You got an original lollipop after all!!!!!!
FRESNO MAN
10 Cent Member

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2011, 11:32:03 am »

Here's two odd ones (to me anyway). Carousel horses mounted on what appear to be bases like the one featured originally in this thread. What do you think; someone mounted the horses on the stands? Can't imagine these configurations are original, but I could be mistaken.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Full-Size-Carousel-Horse-Coca-Cola-Just-Refurbished-/290536237305?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43a54f28f9

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Coca-Cola-Advertising-Carousel-Horse-/180485289872?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a05c2f790
Kilroy
Soda Jerks

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2011, 11:55:22 am »

These are fantasy peices,  Made in Mexico in the 1980's
Cool, but not Original or sanctioned by Coca Cola

"Restored they go for $6-7,000!!"
Member : Michigan Mafia
mznb1u
Soda Jerks

Those Who Stay Will be Champions!

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2011, 01:40:32 pm »

I see those on E-Bay and CL all the time.  Actually using those old lollipop sign bases for a carousel horse is a good application.  It would not be very likely to tip over with all that weight.

I have seen them on small tables as well.  I guess I would rather see them survive than end up in the scrap yard!  I just wish people would not try to pass them off as some "rare" Coke authorized item.

drinking Tim drinking
loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2011, 04:58:07 pm »

Thats fantastic! I think Steve handled this very well even though it was a misunderstanding. Mygoose101, Steve never said your name or tried to slander you through the post. I can see how a misunderstanding could happen here. Its no ones fault and it all worked out in the end. I hope there is no hard feelings between you two.
sjlstevens
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2011, 05:35:40 pm »

No, we are good.

The primary issue was that I did not ask enough questions prior to the purchase. 

I asked questions here because I appreciate the expertise that I have seen on this site.  It never hurts to get an objective view.
jnapp18
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2011, 05:59:09 pm »

Sooooo. who has some signage they want to sell me!.. birthday is approaching Smiley
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: