SMC Discussion Areas
May 11, 2024, 08:50:23 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to solder lines?  (Read 7335 times)
loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« on: October 05, 2004, 06:27:05 pm »

I am working on a cooling system out of a 60's vendo 56. The compressor was shot but I have a compressor from a cavalier 64 that had a bad condenser. I have them switched over but I am lost on how to solder these lines. I have a propane torch but I don't think that is hot enough. I know to use silver solder but do i need something more powerfull than a propane torch? I Know you all will say that I should send it out to have the work done but I like to learn how to do different things. I don't need this system for anything I just want to see if I can make it work. I bought some freeze 12 cheep online and I know a local guy who will vaccuum it down for me but HOW do I solder this?
johnieG
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

This is fine...everythings going to be OK....

« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2004, 09:14:18 pm »

Usually a propane torch isn't hot enough, you might wish to get a "MAPP" torch, this uses "MAPP" gas ( yellow looking propane style cylinder) it contains acetalyne & burns hotter than a standard propane torch, it also gives you a more concentrated flame, the lines MUST be very clean, see the drawing below, PS it should say blockade "brand" not brade

Spoon-feeding Newbies since 2001...Wink
Yeah..220,221 whatever it takes.
Remember, all it needs is a shot of Freon!
The Vendo V-83 is the '59 Edsel of the coke machine world. ;p
Spray painting does NOT restore a compressor
11 is louder than 10...
"Hope" is good, but it's not an action plan.
loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2004, 09:17:01 pm »

Thanks John. Does this torch use a standard propane nozel?
johnieG
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2004, 09:28:05 pm »

Quote (loman4ec @ Oct. 06 2004,10:17)
Thanks John. Does this torch use a standard propane nozel?

it can be used on a standard torch unit, however you'll get a hotter flame with it's own "swirl" torch, they're not that much, about ~$39.99 @ Lowes/Home Depot, etc.

11 is louder than 10...
loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2004, 07:43:08 am »

Ok I broke down and bought the MAPP and Oxygen torch. I went to a Refrigeration store and got a solder on valve and he gave me some silver solder sticks. Now before I do this does anyone have any suggestions for me. Any tips or tricks on how to do this? Oh yeah which one is the filter and dryer. I know I am a real amature. I know nothing about what I am doing but it is fun. You have to learn somehow. Why not just dive in.
loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2004, 07:44:07 am »

Here is the torch that I bought.
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2004, 11:05:09 am »

I know nothing about this either, but you might want to go to your local library and see if they have any books on this subject and check them out to see how its done. That is what I do when I need a book to work on a vehicle.
I lucked out on my Cav-873 unit that I am working on. I have my machine at my place of employment, since I am the boss it's ok, and I had to call for service on an Air Dryer hooked to an Air Compressor. Since the Dryer is essentially a refridgeration unit, I was able to talk to the service guy into looking at my Cav-873 unit and he was able to fix it for me while he was servicing the Dryer. Long story short, he did it for Free. Took off the old Condensor and compressor and hooked up one that I had at the shop. Recharged it with freon and it is working now. Guess I was fortunate that the service guy was very nice and was willing to help me out for no charge. Ask around and you may come across someone to help you out. It doesn't hurt to ask sometimes.

Jim
Administrator
Soda Jerks

#1 Soda Jerk!

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2004, 11:16:11 am »

Josh,

As far as actually sweating together the two lines, remember that the silver solder flows toward the heat. With this said, heat the lines equally and begin soldering from the opposite side of the flame. Watch the solder flow around until it has completely sealed and just begins to drip out. That should do the trick!

My six cents,

Jim

loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2004, 11:33:05 am »

Thanks everyone. I will post pics when I get it done.
Kevin C
Soda Jerks

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2004, 11:19:49 am »

Hello

This is all good stuff but how are you going to pull a vacumn inside the cooling system after you repair you line or install a new compressor?

Once the entire loop of cooling parts are properly connected (compressor, evaporator coil, condensing coil & expansion valve) you need to pull a vacumn inside the system. Once this is completed then you have to charge the cooling system with the correct amount of freon (R-12) to get the pressures (high side & low side). This is not a do it yourself home job. You need to make friends with someone who works for an air conditioning or refrigeration company. Then make sure you get someone good not just side job. If you try to do this at home with out the proper tools it will never work.

Kevin

Vendo 63-C   On the job
Vendo 56   Going back together
Vendo 56-C    Waiting for rehab!
Vendo 126  Rough outside but loaded & operational
Vendo 110  Under repair
Ideal 55 -  **For Sale make offer
Glasco 55 -  Waiting
Royal 650  On the job
Lance Snack Machine - On the job
loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2004, 11:39:45 am »

I have since figured that out. I have a guy that will vaccuum it down and charge it for me but I don't think I am going to go to the trouble. It is out of a Vendorlator 127 that I keep going back and forth on whether I am going to restore it. But I do not believe I am going to now. So does anyone want a pepsi Vf 127. If you come get it you can have it. I am thinking about moving back to Ohio so I will probably not be taking most of my collection.
loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2004, 02:28:29 pm »

Well never mind. I just had a guy come to pick up a cav 64 bottle door that wanted the Vendorlator 127. I gave him a good deal. FREE.
johnieG
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2004, 05:43:57 pm »

Quote (loman4ec @ Oct. 22 2004,3:28)
Well never mind. I just had a guy come to pick up a cav 64 bottle door that wanted the Vendorlator 127. I gave him a good deal. FREE.

Glad to hear you found your "tall-boy" a nice home!

11 is louder than 10...
loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2004, 07:48:31 pm »

I am glad too. I was getting ready to take it to the junk yard. It makes me happy for it to go to someone who will enjoy it.
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: