SMC Discussion Areas
May 11, 2024, 03:41:05 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Found a leak now what?  (Read 7498 times)
loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« on: September 17, 2004, 08:43:21 pm »

I was given a machine that doesn't work a while back and I am now tring to get it running. I took the cooling system out and pluged it in to see if everything was running. All of the fans work and the compressor kicks on and runs but gets hot. When I unpluged it I heard a hissing sound. I found it and it is a leak right where the line goes into the compressor. In the pic it is at the line just to the right of the pink connectors. How can I fix the leak? I am a complete idiot when it comes to refrigeration systems. I also found some replacement r12 on ebay will this work? It is in a can that looks like the r12 cans you charge your car with but it says it is for r12. But my main question is how to fix the leak and is the compressor shot now because of the leak.
loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2004, 08:45:40 pm »

another pic
loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2004, 08:46:14 pm »

another pic
loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2004, 08:46:53 pm »

another pic
loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2004, 08:59:08 pm »

last pic
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2004, 11:31:40 am »

Compressor is still good and will come in very handy for you some day.
       First, the repair will need to be done by someone who is trained and licensed to use freon. Take it in to a shop.
       The leak you have now is where a copper pipe is soldered to a steel tube, but he should be able to fix that.
        My concern is the rust in your condenser which is made with steel tubing. It may not withstand high pressure for much longer. Looks bad too.  Replace it at the same time.

Glen
johnieG
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

This is fine...everythings going to be OK....

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2004, 11:44:24 am »

If the leak is a pin-hole in the elbow of line shown,you may be able to braze it, however, if the corrosion is extensive, being so close to the compressor (or if the leaks right at the point were the line joins the compressor) it may not be able to have it brazed, on copper to copper brazing, I've used a low temperature brazing rod called "Blockade" it's very easy to work with a MAPP torch, ( you probably won't be able to use a regular propane torch, and NO, you cant use (soft) plumbing solder)

The replacement refrigerants like freeze-12, that you find on EBay should work fine, I prefer to use R414/B (Brand name of "Hotshot") but many of the replacement refrigerants are only available to those EPA licensed to purchase it, R414/B, R409, etc) your system is now exposed to the moisture, so you'll have to pull it down to a vacumm to remove ant residual water vapor from the system....which means you'll be needing to rent or borrow a pump....

Spoon-feeding Newbies since 2001...Wink
Yeah..220,221 whatever it takes.
Remember, all it needs is a shot of Freon!
The Vendo V-83 is the '59 Edsel of the coke machine world. ;p
Spray painting does NOT restore a compressor
11 is louder than 10...
"Hope" is good, but it's not an action plan.
loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2004, 04:49:29 pm »

I have heard that an old compressor will work as the pump.  Is this true? Also some of the ebay auctions say that if you sign a letter saying that the freon is for resale they can sell it to you. What do you think about that?
johnieG
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

This is fine...everythings going to be OK....

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2004, 10:18:32 pm »

Well, selling it for resale, I suppose thats up to them, if they are willing to risk it. (fines, etc.) & I agree with Moondawg, your system obviously has corrosion ( as seen on the fins on the condensor assy.)

unlike an automotive belt driven compressor, the sealed compressors use in most soda machines would make a poor vaccum pump at best, as you'd have to maintain a system at vacumm for at least 30 minutes or more to get all of the moisture out of the system, (I'm sure Eric, from Global compressors could elaborate more on this subject) & the compressor would probably be toast in short-order before then, ( they aren't meant to be run in a vaccum, no refrigerant flow = no cooling for the motor)you can usually find a good used pump at a pawn shop. & there are several discount Hvac retailers on EBay that also. if you are going to be working on these systems on other machines as well it's time to make an investment, or contact a specalist

in general, though you'd have to

A: repair the leak, and/or replace the compressor & flush the system. & install a new filter/dryer on the suction side
 (brazing)
B: put the system under vacuum (vacuum pump & gauge set)
C:add the correct amount of replacement refrigerant & oil
(replacement refrigerant & gauge set & refrigerant scale)
also, keep in mind that if you haven't replaced the compressor,  and if it's been overheated, exposed to corrosion & moisture, it will be living on borrowed time. if it was just a slow leak , it may have been a different story.

If it were my machine, I'd replace the whole compressor deck with a new unit & splice it into the original evaporator assy.

Spoon-feeding Newbies since 2001...Wink
Yeah..220,221 whatever it takes.
Remember, all it needs is a shot of Freon!
The Vendo V-83 is the '59 Edsel of the coke machine world. ;p
Spray painting does NOT restore a compressor
11 is louder than 10...
"Hope" is good, but it's not an action plan.
loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2004, 10:37:53 am »

Johnie I agree. I would normally replace it but the system is out of a VF117 that was given to me. It is about 7 feet tall and worthless. I just wanted to possibly practice on it before I ever did any work on a system that was out of a machine that was worth something. But I think you are right I will just have someone do the work for me in the future.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: