SMC Discussion Areas
May 02, 2024, 10:31:18 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HELP!! compressor not starting just clicking after removal and cleaning...  (Read 13702 times)
addamb
5 Cent Member

« on: June 28, 2014, 11:37:15 am »

So I removed my compressor deck this morning in my vf-90 to do a cleanup and hit it with a coat of paint. It was all by hand, no hose, dried, lightly painted and put back in my machine. The harness was good so I didn't replace it however the plug that plugs into the little outlet was bad so I replaced it with a funtronics plug ready to go. Let it dry for a couple hours, put it back in the machine and now when I plug it in all the fans come on, they blow the right direction but the compressor doesn't start. It just clicks every ten seconds or so. It did this once before about thirty seconds after the compressor started after being plugged in for a week straight. however that time It eventually kicked on after about a min and I just wrote it off as a fluke thing.

Nothing got kinked or damaged today and I had a rig for it so nothing got hurt. It was running great this morning when I unplugged it too. Is it time for a 3 in 1? Or do you think I have a more serious issue? Could I of gotten water somewhere I shouldn't have by accident? And if so where should I check? Thanks!!

Vendorlator VF-90 Pepsi
1981 Asteroids Deluxe Cabaret
1981 Ms. Pac-Man Cocktail
addamb
5 Cent Member

« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2014, 12:45:31 pm »

Also if I get the polarity wrong with the short little plug I in installed could it cause this issue? It was pre spliced with one wire slightly longer the the other so I just connected them to the compressor where the old ones were.

Vendorlator VF-90 Pepsi
addamb
5 Cent Member

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2014, 02:02:21 pm »

So I fixed it.....I think. Did some searching on here and it turns out I had the compressor plug polarity backwards. She's running as we speak!!! (Or it wasn't that at all and I just bumped something ha ha)

Vendorlator VF-90 Pepsi
addamb
5 Cent Member

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2014, 06:29:09 am »

Well got up this morning and it was clicking again. Apparently it was clicking for a while because the internal temp was up to the 60s. And the compressor was almost to hot to touch which really concerns me. I hope it didn't get itself trying to start overnight. I "mechanically agitated" the compressor with the palm of my hand and Fired right up. Anyone have any thoughts?
« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 06:38:41 am by addamb » Logged

Vendorlator VF-90 Pepsi
johnieG
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

This is fine...everythings going to be OK....

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2014, 11:43:15 am »

Sorry to say your compressor is stalled, nothing to do with the polarity,( although it could be a loose connection on the start relay under the compressors side cover)  getting it wet or painting it, it happens, remember the system is over +50 years old...try installing a 1/4 HP size 3-in-1 starter/booster & if it isn't totally locked up it should help it start. If that doesn't work, well... new compressor time.  good luck.  

Spoon-feeding Newbies since 2001...Wink
Yeah..220,221 whatever it takes.
Remember, all it needs is a shot of Freon!
The Vendo V-83 is the '59 Edsel of the coke machine world. ;p
Spray painting does NOT restore a compressor
11 is louder than 10...
"Hope" is good, but it's not an action plan.
addamb
5 Cent Member

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2014, 11:52:29 am »

Thanks for the info! All seems well for now but I'm going to go ahead and put a 3 in 1 on it anyways. Is 1/4 HP the correct one for my V-90? Thanks!

Vendorlator VF-90 Pepsi
addamb
5 Cent Member

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2014, 12:43:22 pm »

Nevermind. Did a little more searching and you are right. I ordered it and I'll report back with results after it's installed!

Vendorlator VF-90 Pepsi
addamb
5 Cent Member

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2014, 05:15:51 am »

Sorry for all the replies to my own post, i figure if i keep a "log" it will be helpful to someone else in the future with the same questions....

So i picked up a Supco RCO410 3 in 1 and it should be here in a few days. However, ever since i "punched" (Literally) my compressor to get it rolling again yesterday i've had no further issues.  And it's cycled on and off for more than 24hrs with no issues and is cooling perfectly. So should i install the 3 in 1 anyways when it gets here? Will it cause any harm if i leave it on there permanently vice using it only to unlock the compressor if it happens again? I'm not sure how much stress the 3 in 1 puts on the compressor windings vice the stock starting circuitry. I understand my compressor is old but i don’t' wanna send it to the grave any faster then i need to if the 3 in 1 is going to strain it too much every time it starts (maybe i just don’t' fully understand what the 3 in 1 does)  help .

Thanks!

Vendorlator VF-90 Pepsi
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2014, 07:23:52 am »

You give a new meaning to the term "iron fist". biggrin
        I have persuaded many compressors to run again with the old hammer trick.
        Keep the 3 in 1 handy, but you may never need it.

Glen
addamb
5 Cent Member

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2014, 08:43:31 am »

You give a new meaning to the term "iron fist". biggrin
        I have persuaded many compressors to run again with the old hammer trick.
        Keep the 3 in 1 handy, but you may never need it.

Ha ha thanks!! Would it hurt anything to go ahead and install it even if it appears to be running well now, or should i let it be? I ask because when it locked up on me the one time, it apparently had been trying to start all night and was too hot to even touch for a second. This machine is in our house and i don't want to worry about going away for a weekend and that happening again but not catching it in time.

Vendorlator VF-90 Pepsi
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: