SMC Discussion Areas
May 02, 2024, 01:44:18 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Westinghouse standard electric wet to dry conversion  (Read 6149 times)
First Timer

« on: June 14, 2014, 01:11:03 pm »

I am in the process of doing my first restore. It is a Westinghouse Standard in (what I think) good condition. The compressor unit runs and cools. I will need to replace usual items the agitator, gaskets, and the lids. Other than that some sanding and paint.

I have done metal work on my '59 Chevy Apache. So the metal and paint don't scare me. However, I know nothing about refrig systems.

What is the best way of removing the compressor unit and cooling system? Do I cut lines and remove? Or is there a specific way to pull system down? I need to replace the rubber motor mounts. Can I have the complete unit restored? Aprox. $$$?

I have also seen where there is a conversion to "dry" instead of wet. How efficient is this? What is the approx $$ for conversion? If I convert do I keep original compressor unit? Or will it need to be different? I am not sold on the idea of keeping it completely original.

I really want to make this a functioning unit to be utilized in our game room  happydrinkers with out having a lot of maintenance (changing water) and it not be a power hog.

Is this possible?

Any suggestions and contacts would be graciously appreciated. hopefull help

Thanks in advance for the help...

collecture
Soda Jerks

Tom

« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2014, 05:49:58 pm »

Where are you located?
If you are putting into the Gameroom, then I would definitely convert it to a dry cooler; however, that it not my forte.
There are a few members here that could help you in your quest I'm sure.
Let's see some pics of the cooler!

Cav 27, 33, CS-55E-2, 72
S-48 DP
Ideal CC 35, Barq's 55
1930s DP Counter Cooler
Vendo Coin Changers (ea. style - orig w/ stand)
Vendo Junior (rest.), 23 Deluxe, 39D, 44, 56RT, 80SS, 81A (orig), 81D, 6 C.V.
VMC 27, 27A, 81D DP, 110 DP
Westy WC-42-T, WC-44SK, WD-5(2), WB60
Victor C-14
First Timer

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2014, 02:15:13 pm »

Thanks for the reply. I'm located in SE Alabama.

I would appreciate any help I can get!!!

I tried to attach pic, but they were too large. I will try and resize and apply them.

MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2014, 03:24:09 pm »

No need to cut the lines, the upper and lower units come out as a complete assembly, just add support to the evaporator so the copper lines don't kink.
       You can ditch the water circulator and try a small fan inside the box to move air past the coils although you may need to make a shroud.
Seems like the small pancake fans like inside of computers would fit nice, but may not last too long in a damp area.

Glen
First Timer

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2014, 09:17:50 am »

Thanks.

Should I have the compressor unit refirb? I can replace the wiring. The rubber vibration gromets are shot. I have not idea what (if anything) needs to be done to the compressor unit itself.

Should I replace the insulation? If so, is there a better type/process that regular fiberglass insulation? What's the easiest way of removing the inside tub?

I will try an add Pics:
First Timer

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2014, 09:19:15 am »

Here are a couple more pics:

MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2014, 09:49:11 am »

Welcome to the site!
        Here's some advice you didn't ask for: Clean it up and use it as is. You have a Westinghouse Master in very nice original condition.
        It's a fairly common cooler, but for every one like yours there a hundred that really need to be restored.
        Put this one into service in the gameroom for now and let us know what area you are in.
        Someone here will find you a project you can better use your skills on....................... that won't lose you money.

Glen
First Timer

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2014, 11:01:06 am »

Thanks..... Glenn

Along with what I have already stated (agitator motor and propeller, gaskets, lids) the electrical wiring needs of replacing. I have not placed any water in it, but I am pretty sure it does not leak. As you can expect the worst thing about this unit was the lids.

Before I bought the unit I had it plugged up and let it run for approx. 5-10 minute and it was obvious it was cooling. I have some buddies that are in the refrig line of work. Is there some info out there on the compressor unit (head pressure, low pressure, etc...) that I can have the unit checked?

When you say "clean it up"? Are you suggesting not to repaint it? Is that due to potential value??? Leaving it as original as I can??

I apologize for all the questions. I just don't like recreating the wheel if you know what I mean.

I am located in very most SE corner of Alabama.
Jared
Soda Jerks

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2014, 08:10:51 pm »

i agree with glenn.i have that same machine.had it for 17 years.first cooler i ever bought.great everyday driver after i got all the bugs worked out
First Timer

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2014, 08:26:27 pm »

Jared can you help me with some of my questions in the previous post?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: