SMC Discussion Areas
May 17, 2024, 05:48:04 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: R 12  (Read 10671 times)
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2013, 12:50:06 pm »

I bough some r12 on ebay. and they shipped it directly to me.. I just had to sign a form saying I was not installing it myself and that I was having an expert do it..most sellers of r12 have this form on their auction to download.

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
Slapshot42
Soda Jerks

Jared

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2013, 01:05:26 pm »

I saw the exact same auction on ebay.  I was going to do that, but once Glen posted the EPA course information I started reading the material for certification. 

The course really isn't that bad.  I have been doing the study guides for the last 3 nights.  Course exam is open book plan on taking the exam tonight or tomorrow learned quite a bit.
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2013, 10:21:27 am »

I saw the exact same auction on ebay.  I was going to do that, but once Glen posted the EPA course information I started reading the material for certification. 

The course really isn't that bad.  I have been doing the study guides for the last 3 nights.  Course exam is open book plan on taking the exam tonight or tomorrow learned quite a bit.

umm or the form takes 3 seconds to sign,, but of course do what you want and I'm sure the knowledge will be helpful... Good luck on your test.

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
Slapshot42
Soda Jerks

Jared

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2013, 10:24:13 am »

Yes, well aware.   Cool

Thanks!
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2013, 12:34:07 pm »

Be sure to let us know if you complete the course.

Glen
Slapshot42
Soda Jerks

Jared

« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2013, 11:51:42 pm »

blush
     Be sure to let us know if you complete the course.

Passed.

Core Section 25 /25
Type 1:        21/25

I would recommend  downloading the Study Guide Software.  I called my local distributor they tried to get me to buy their program it was only $139.99  jawdrop

I paid $24.95.  I found some helpful videos on YouTube.

MaineT
Soda Jerks

« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2013, 08:42:54 am »

Congrats! Much cheaper then $139!!

Question
If its legal to sell with an I promise note, then if a 19 year old walks into a store and signs a promise not to drink the beer, then why can't they buy it for someone else? Same thing, right?

Same with ammo, cigarettes, guns...

Why is there an EPA compliance class needed at all and why doesn't everyplace just sell to everyone if promising not to use the product is good enough?

Tim
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2013, 12:48:04 pm »

I will probably more than likely complete the course.   

This statement expresses uncertainty....

Congratulations, especially at completion in only 4 days!   drinking

Congrats! Much cheaper then $139!!

Question
If its legal to sell with an I promise note, then if a 19 year old walks into a store and signs a promise not to drink the beer, then why can't they buy it for someone else? Same thing, right?

Same with ammo, cigarettes, guns...

Why is there an EPA compliance class needed at all and why doesn't everyplace just sell to everyone if promising not to use the product is good enough?

It's just a tool the feds can use to bust people.
We can drive a car with a borrowed drivers license too, just don't get caught. biggrin

The course describes how harmful the R-12 and other refrigerants are if discharged into the atmosphere. Considering how many air conditioners and refrigeration units are existing in todays world, it's probably a good thing we have a watchdog group.
      But the guys that do this as a hobby and discharge a can of R-12 into the ozone, won't end the world tomorrow, although there is a $10,000 fine for doing just that..... licensed or not.
      Keep in mind this course does not cover troubleshooting compressor components or soldering techniques, but Youtube is helpful there.
      A vacuum pump is available from Harbor Freight Tool for a little over $100 and the rest of the hand tools and guages needed cost me about another $100.
      I still call my professional refrigeration guy for the tough jobs, but it's nice to be able to do the simple jobs myself.

Glen
Slapshot42
Soda Jerks

Jared

« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2013, 01:25:58 pm »

Were the test gauges also at Harbor Freight?  How much was the recovery cylinder?

I called my local HVAC company today about my house and somehow he started talking refrigeration.  I told him I collected soda machines.  He said he had a round top Coca Cola and some parts on it. He  converted into a gun case.  darn  Also said he knew where one was locally...waiting for pics......

Thanks again for posting the information.

Jared
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: