SMC Discussion Areas
May 17, 2024, 05:49:28 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need some help on coolong system westinghouse WC-96T  (Read 4386 times)
cfunni

« on: August 06, 2012, 08:23:35 am »

First let me start out by saying I am new to old soda machine ownership. I recently did a barter on Craigslist for a fair condition WC-96T. The unit is complete and needs some cleaning up. I have removed the refrigeration unit and rewired it due to old cracking wires. Everything runs, but I found a Freon line broken. It is the small one that goes from the compressor to the top of the condenser coil. I tried to clean and solder it but it does not look like copper. It is silver not orange in color. Any ideas what this is and how to repair it.
Thanks
Craig in Houston

WC-96T
MrMark

« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2012, 03:44:44 pm »

It's probably steel. I've replaced them before using steel brake line tubing from an auto parts store. I used a spring tubing bender and got it pretty close to the shape of the old one. Just sand the coating off so brazing will stick.

As for soldering, you can't use soft solder like is found on water piping. And in all likelihood, the port on the compressor is steel, as is the condenser. For both of these you have to use brazing rod. Silfoss has phosphorus in it that eats up the steel. Clean 'em up real good with emery cloth, use some dry flux (or preflux brazing rod) and braze away. Be sure and have a dry nitrogen atmosphere in the system while brazing, and change the drier (or remove the strainer, whichever it has) and replace with a new C032 drier. Again, nitrogen atmosphere in the system while silfossing the drier in.
Evacuate to 1000 microns, break the vacuum with nitrogen, evacuate to 1000 microns, break the vacuum with refrigerant, evacuate to 250 microns (where it holds less than 500 for 3o minutes), and charge her up.
cfunni

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2012, 03:56:07 pm »

MrMark, My guess was steel also, but thought it better to ask first. I guess its time to learn about brazing. I will post some pictures soon so you can see what I have.
Thanks MrMark

WC-96T
johnieG
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

This is fine...everythings going to be OK....

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2012, 12:10:37 am »

Use the "ol magnet trick, works every time. it's either steel or copper, typically it's steel on the older compressor decks. for those of you who don't have a micron rated gauge set, -30 inches of mercury will do nicely. there are conversion charts on the web, just google it. & if you have no idea what we are talking about, then have a pro look it over.

Spoon-feeding Newbies since 2001...Wink
Yeah..220,221 whatever it takes.
Remember, all it needs is a shot of Freon!
The Vendo V-83 is the '59 Edsel of the coke machine world. ;p
Spray painting does NOT restore a compressor
11 is louder than 10...
"Hope" is good, but it's not an action plan.
globalcompressors
Soda Jerks

Global Compressors (Eric)

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2012, 08:42:05 am »

huh?  Oo

I googled the "magnet trick" and all I got was Bill Nuy the Science Guy!  biggrin

how's that OBAMA CARE workin' out for ya?
cfunni

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2012, 09:47:43 am »

I am thinking I may just let a pro do this. Not sure if I need a whole new unit or this one repaired. I am In Houston so a trip to global compressors is not out of the question.
See pics of what I have.
Craig

WC-96T
jholmgren
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2012, 10:30:11 am »

huh?  Oo

I googled the "magnet trick" and all I got was Bill Nuy the Science Guy!  biggrin

I assume Johnie means steel is ferrous (magnetic) and copper is not.   Other than that...I'm lost too, but I know when I'm in over my head.   smile

Embossed Coke Ideal 55 Slider
VMC-44
Vendo V-80 
Westinghouse WE-6
globalcompressors
Soda Jerks

Global Compressors (Eric)

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2012, 07:55:46 pm »

I am thinking I may just let a pro do this. Not sure if I need a whole new unit or this one repaired. I am In Houston so a trip to global compressors is not out of the question.
See pics of what I have.
Craig

PM me... I'll be glad to help out!

how's that OBAMA CARE workin' out for ya?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: