SMC Discussion Areas
May 21, 2024, 02:26:23 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ID on a Barber Pole?  (Read 6466 times)
tkaz
Soda Jerks

tkaz

« on: June 02, 2010, 04:58:29 pm »

Anyone have any info on this barber pole?  I have no clue what its worth, the guy is looking for $150 for it.  If anyone is interested in it, let me know as well.

MCarter
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2010, 05:21:32 pm »

I'll take it for 150.00. Lmk

Matt

RC VMC - 81 Orignal
Vendo V-56 Two Tone Round Top ~~ Currently in use
Seeburg 100 G Jukebox ~~ Restored
Minit Pop Popcorn Machine ~~ Restored
Cavalier 55-D ~~ Restored
Rockola 1426 ~~ Orignal--- For Sale
Chicago Coin Band Box ~~~ Restored
BrianS
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2010, 06:14:30 pm »

It looks to be a Koken, I just picked up a similar model myself. Paid $200 for mine

http://soda-machines.com/discussions/index.php/topic,11292.0.html

There will be a brass Koken label in the middle of the lower cast iron ring if its still there.  I have not been able to find a good all encompassing reference that identifies all the specific Koken models but I believe mine is a Model 119.  Yours appears to be a Model 13 based on the taller lower section and the difference in the cast iron mounting bracket.  See this site for a pic of both in restored condition.

http://www.antiquewhs.com/barberpoles.htm

Just out of curiosity, does yours have the original wind up motor with it?  There is a pic of the one for mine in my thread, I am looking to get it back in working condition.  The wind up motor for yours would be identical but have a longer crank shaft coming off of the bottom.  Also, it looks like there might be a globe on top of yours - any chance its the original and if so do you have any pics that show it?

Brian

Vendo 56 - restored
Vendo 81 - in progress
Vendo 39 - in the rough
Rockola 1428 - Original
1959 Williams Pinch Hitter
Wurlitzer 1400
1930 Koken Barber Pole
loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2010, 09:37:42 pm »

I will take it if no one else has yet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I really want one!!!!
tkaz
Soda Jerks

tkaz

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2010, 09:55:16 pm »

After talking with the guy, decided to go pick this up for Matt (MCarter).  Pretty crazy time at this guys house, beautiful multi-million dollar house in DC, and the guy was a hoarder.  The place was filled with boxes and junk, but there were a few nice things around.  I was able to pick up this pole for $125, and worked a deal for a Westinghouse Standard electric for $75.  Clean machine, nothing but surface rust although it needs a paint job and some electrical work.  Never had much interest in one, but might as well start my hoarding early!  Here's some pics, I have the lid as well, but will probably need a new one at some point:

tkaz
Soda Jerks

tkaz

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2010, 09:56:21 pm »

And Brian, you were dead on, it's a Koken model 13, but it has an electric motor.  Thanks for the info on it.

BrianS
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2010, 12:10:43 am »

Congratulations on you purchases.  Matt, from the pics it looks like the inner cylinder on your pole will need to be replaced.  The Model 13 will need a 5.25" x 16" cylinder.  You can get one from The William Marvy Company.  Go to this site and click on Replacement parts.  They should have what you need.

http://wmmarvyco.com/fr_barberpoles.htm

Brian

Vendo 56 - restored
Vendo 81 - in progress
Vendo 39 - in the rough
Rockola 1428 - Original
1959 Williams Pinch Hitter
Wurlitzer 1400
1930 Koken Barber Pole
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: