SMC Discussion Areas
June 03, 2024, 05:06:32 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What Machine to Restore??  (Read 3452 times)
SGM
5 Cent Member

« on: February 18, 2008, 11:39:51 am »

Looking for everyones input on this one.  What old round top Coke machine would be best to restore in regards to being able to get replacement parts from the limited number of people still supplying them?  V39, CS 72, CS 92, V44.  I will do another machine when the square top is complete but I don't want to run into (as many) parts issues as I have with this one.  Not worrying about resale value, I'll still have the machine when they put me 6 feet under.  Suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Randy

Randy

CSS 12-96J
cormy
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2008, 12:05:22 pm »

It seems to me that replacement parts are readily available for all the models you listed. It should come down to personal choice if you are doing it for yourself. I prefer the V-44 myself, actually I like the looks of the VMC-44 better between the two, then the 81 then the 39. Not crazy about the CS-72/96.

cmc
davethebirdman
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2008, 01:32:14 pm »

Why don't you have a look at the sponser sites. Thesodajerkworks & Funtronics.
They both have a catalogue of the parts they supply. Soda Jerk has his online.

As Cormy says its down to your own preference. The V-39 & 44 are single flavour vendors whilst the 81 gives you greater choice.

I'd love the chance to restore an 81..... (One day eh Ginger) 
RC kid
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2008, 03:55:52 pm »

You know, sometimes it's just plain old fate that gives us that prized pocession. I went out looking for my first round top Coke Machine, after owning four square top Cavaliers, and I was pointed in the direction of an RC 110. I told the guy flat out that I had absolutely zero desires to own an RC machine, but when I saw it for the first time, I said to myself, 'Now that's a cool soda machine'. So I always keep an open mind when I am out and about, looking for something knew to restore. By the way, I paid $100 for that old Royal Crown 110, and it looks like brand new even though it has never been restored. (that was twenty years ago, and I still have it.)
But having owned a few soda machines and a few cool old cars, I have come to realize that it is a good idea to go ahead and get what you really want than it is to settle for something that will only fill that gap for a short while. Leaving you longing for something new later. Of course that is so long as the price can be met without affecting the family budget.
I love the 110s due to their affordability. And the V39. with it's compact size, looks really nice in the corner of the living room, even if my wife doesn't think so. And that little coke machine never fails to spark up a conversation when someone enters the room for the first time. I really like the little old coke bottles that are still available at the super market too. And later, if Coca Cola decides to quit making those little bottles, I can change out the drum and use it to cool cans.
Well, thats my theary. Good luck on finding that prized old Soda Machine. I know they are still out there because I just struck a deal for a really nice V39 for $700.00. Check Craigs List regularly and jump when you find that deal.

P.S. where is the spell check for this forum.
Creighton
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2008, 04:23:19 pm »

Great Post RC!!
Agree find the machine you like. I enjoy the search for the hard to find parts. Sometimes takes years but when it is found and placed on the machine it is often more rewarding than getting the machine in the first place. I have yet to buy a repo part. When the piggy bank is in better shape will be placing orders with the sponsors.

No need to worry about spelling on this board :-)
Creighton

BrianB
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2008, 07:46:24 am »

A machine will jump out at you when you least expect it. I prefer the smaller more compact machines myself (except Ice Cream Machines! I like those BIG!) I also have a knack for picking up the strangest and least supportable machines, that can be a bummer. But I also like the challenge of reproducing parts, it's a fun learning experience.

Just weigh the options and go with what you think is the best for you. But I will tell you that the Vendo 39 & 44 probably have the most aftermarket parts available out of any of the more popular soda pop machines. Good luck with your search!

Brian
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: