SMC Discussion Areas
May 10, 2024, 03:03:39 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What would you do???  (Read 5527 times)
aspbear
25 Cent Member

« on: November 18, 2013, 09:21:00 am »

I go to auctions every weekend, it is a hobby that I enjoy and although always on the watch for soda related/advertising items I will buy pretty much anything I like.

This past Saturday I went to an auction that had a none embossed Ideal 35 slider listed.  I looked it over and it was complete with the rack, they said the coin mech was in it but did not have the key. From pushing on the coin return I do not think the coin mech was in place.  The wiring was really bad and looked like mice had really did a number on it and I would be afraid to plug it in without rewiring.

The auctioneer announced they were ready to sell the machine and his statement was they had moved the machine out of the house and its was working but they did not have a plug in where it was so they could not fire it up and no warranty but he was sure it worked.  NOW THE PART THAT PISSED ME OFF AND AS MY WIFE SAID I SHOWED MY ASS.  He tells the Ringman to "call Randy" who I know is a professional restorer in MO. 

So they call Randy and spend 5 minutes describing the machine in detail to him and everyone else waits, I start the bid at 100 dollars and the ring man is still trying to get Randy to bid (which he never did) the bidding went on and the machine finally sold for 310.00 I did not buy but I did ask the auctioneer why we would stop the auction and call a bidder who obviously did not care enough about the machine to drive out and at least do a preview. I told him he could have drove the fifty miles that I did to look at the machine and I also told him in front of the crowd that if the winning bidder plugged that machine in  they could be in for a large smell of burning ozone see alot sparks and might even get a little jolt of electricity.

My wife said I showed my ass but  calling bidders while everyone else stands around is not right and it was not sour grapes for not winning the machine I had set my limit for it at 175.00 and I was not buying the it will work announcemnt  that the buyer went for. 

SO did I sho my ass or not

aspbear
cola62
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2013, 10:54:36 am »

I go to auctions about four times a year.  They do take phone bids, but it is up to the bidder to call in or be ready immediatly when called since they do not know exaactly when the item will come up for bid.  In a well run auction there will be someone making that call a minute or two before hand and have the bidder on the phone ready to go.  If they don't answer immediatly then they are out of luck.  Keep in mind the auctioneer makes more money the higher he can run up the price.

Greg
BONOVOX
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2013, 11:51:32 am »

Sounds like a Mickey Mouse auction to me.
An auction is for people that are there, OR are on the phone prior to the item starting. 
Why have an auction at all then?  Just have the auctioneer call all the people he knows to see if they want to buy it.

Sometimes things happen for a reason, and maybe you're better off without that particular machine.

I don't think you were wrong in saying what you did.

happydrinkers

I HAVE A PROBLEM.....
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2013, 11:53:59 am »

Randy is a pretty sharp guy, if he didn't want it ...........maybe you didn't either.

Glen
HowDueYouDue
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2013, 05:09:08 pm »

Think you handled it right, nothing wrong for standing up for something you belive in. 

I dreamed I had a good job and I got well paid.
I blew it all at the penny arcade.

-Eric Clapton & B.B. King
aspbear
25 Cent Member

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2013, 05:42:25 pm »

Cola, I would not have said a word if they had the person on the line and ready to bid but that was not the case.  I also agree that the auctioneer is there to get the highest price but you have to have considerations for the people that have traveled to your auction and stood for hours waiting for one particular item.

My problem is not with Randy,  I dont really know him but the few times I have been to his shop he seemed like a nice person and I believe he was just like me the machine was worth around 150.00 to 200.00 max. 

I just did not like the way it was handled and I have been to this auctions companies auctions for years and did not feel like the people that were there got treated fairly.  As I told the auctioneer it will affect my decisions on which auction to go to....Thanks for the responses,  sometimes when my wife says I am being an ass I agree with her but this time I was still mad when I left the auction...

aspbear
globalcompressors
Soda Jerks

Global Compressors (Eric)

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2013, 05:50:03 pm »

SO did I sho my ass or not

no.

auction begins and ends at certian times. you snooze.... you lose. I
would have been livid!

how's that OBAMA CARE workin' out for ya?
Pixel
Soda Jerks

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2013, 06:12:47 pm »

Sounds to me like the auctioneers might have been pulling something, on both Randy and the in-person audience. I think I would stay as far away from that auction establishment as I could.

For what it's worth, I'm convinced you're better off not "winning" this one.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 06:16:22 pm by Pixel » Logged
TomFromJersey
Soda Jerks

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2013, 11:51:34 pm »

Sounds like a terrible auctioneer.  There are plenty of them out there. I always speak my peace, whether at an auction, or any other place. I really pissed off an auctioneer years ago for calling him out for working with an owner shill bidding on his own item, and explained it to the crowd what was going on. I also explained, at the time, it was legal in NJ, but illegal in PA. I think you were right on point!

TFJ

Grapette Quickold Standard
AMI I200 AMI H200
Wurlitzer 61, 600, 700, 750, 800, 1080, 2100
Packard Musical Bar
Chicago Coin BandBox
15 remote speakers and counting
A bunch of Grapette stuff
Some really cool vending machines
Kilroy
Soda Jerks

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2013, 07:43:09 am »