SMC Discussion Areas
May 10, 2024, 04:08:53 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What was your first machine?  (Read 6827 times)
Slapshot42
Soda Jerks

Jared

« on: August 19, 2012, 06:54:51 pm »

I have always found it interesting reading posts from new board members about picking up there first machine. They are great to read because it reminds me of the first machine I picked up.  

What was your first machine?  And how did you stumble across it?

I will start, hope to see others share as well...

My First Machine:

I was driving to work searching craigslists and randomly decided to search the words; "pop machine"  One ad popped up it was about one hour South from me  so I decided to call on it.  When I called the seller he said that it worked great!  ( Famous Last Words)  I decided to borrow one of my friends trucks to make the trip when I got there the guy had it outside of his shop said he had it for a few years and hadn't done nothing with it.  So I bought and he loaded it with his forklift.

Well I got it home and spent the entire weekend looking for the manual. Over the next few months I spent several nights trying to figure out what was wrong it.  ( Before I knew of the site)  I called the manufacturer Crane MMS, formally known as Dixie Narco.  I spoke with one of the serviceman who had worked for the company for 35 years. He sent me a bunch of old manuals, and some troubleshooting tips.  About 3 months later I had it working.

Well since than I have had 14 machines....umm.... oops!  biggrin

halehouse
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2012, 08:00:06 pm »

My first machine was a generic Ideal 35 slider chest that I bought for $90 in the early 90s. It was missing the rack and coin-mech (of course), but had the cap catcher and worked well. My first upright machine was a Vendo 83 with a Selectivend conversion into a slant shelf machine (although I didn't know it at the time). This was sometime in '93. I knew the plate said it was a V-83, but it didn't look like any I was seeing in pictures. It was pretty nice with the aluminum on the front. I had just left college and was living in a one bedroom second floor apt. I bought the machine from an antique mall in Fairfax, VA and had some friends help me haul that thing up the steps with a handtruck.

Vendo 63 Stylestar (Restored)
Glascock Standard
Cornelius 50 Slider (Restored)
mygoose101
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2012, 08:18:00 pm »

Cavalier 96, bought for $1,000 from a Sharper Image that was closing it's doors.

Vendo 81A Original
Vendo 81B Original
Vendo 81D Restored
Vendo 56 Restored
VMC Pepsi 81 Restoredx2
Cavalier 72
Ideal Embossed Coke Slider
Stoner Theater Restored
Stoner Theater w/Gum Wheel Restored
Stoner Jr. Restored
Seeburg V200 Jukebox Restored
Seeburg 100C
Seeburg 100R
Seeburg 100W
collecture
Soda Jerks

Tom

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2012, 08:56:23 pm »

40 years ago - 1972 - VMC-27 tabletop with enclosed stand - local garage sale for $15 - I was 12.
I made 4 three-block round trips with the wheelbarrow because my parents would not go get it with the station wagon. Set it up in the garage - my father let me bring it in the house when he didn't see any condensation on the ground. In High School, I used to fill it with Coors in the can. It was the only beer that would fit!

Cav 27, 33, CS-55E-2, 72
S-48 DP
Ideal CC 35, Barq's 55
1930s DP Counter Cooler
Vendo Coin Changers (ea. style - orig w/ stand)
Vendo Junior (rest.), 23 Deluxe, 39D, 44, 56RT, 80SS, 81A (orig), 81D, 6 C.V.
VMC 27, 27A, 81D DP, 110 DP
Westy WC-42-T, WC-44SK, WD-5(2), WB60
Victor C-14
kbareit
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2012, 08:58:16 pm »

My Vendo O1C-182. It was at the Golf course I worked at when I was a kid and when they bought a new one the auto parts store in town bought it where it remained in use for the last 20 years until a fire damaged the store and I saw the machine sitting outside the building and asked what they were going to do with it. they said I could have it and they loaded it on their trailer and dropped it off at my house, no charge.

Cavalier 27
Jacobs 26
Ideal 55 Hires root beer, 7-Up restored
Ideal 55 Pepsi, Barqs original
Double cola,Squirt,Nesbitts,Canada Dry on deck
3 Westy 60's
3 Westy 78's
Cav 72 original
S&S 1400 WD2 Pepsi
Stoner Junior
Creighton
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2012, 09:13:14 pm »

There is a couple in norcal that buy estates. Once a year they clear out what hasn't sold. Line starts forming at 4am. Didn't know I wanted a Coke machine but the RT-V56 for $75.00 looked like a fun project. Missing compressor/stack/shelves and the crank handle. Thanks to the board all of that was sorted in short order. 7 other soda machines 10 or so other coin-op toys.
Creighton

Fire708
25 Cent Member

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2012, 01:35:40 am »

The v56 in my profile pict was my first. I wanted a soda machine since I was a kid and I always loved the slant shelf machines.  After finding this site and help from you all on a good price i found one on craigs list for $250. I ended up driving to Idaho to pick it up. It was well worth the trip.
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2012, 08:53:46 am »

Although growing up we had machines all around us that my dad brought home from the plant, just to use as coolers.. I remember having a v81 in the garage, all stripped down to keep pop and beer cold and we also had some chest coolers throughout the years however I was not into collecting then.
my first machine that reallly got it started was a V39.. again an uneducated buy but found it thought it was cool and it all started from there..

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
Slider-Bob
Soda Jerks

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2012, 09:09:36 am »

Vendo 63.

Bought it for too much ($300), and it had a bad door.  Bought another one that had a good door for $125.  Took them apart and it sat for 2 years in pieces.  Finally, had a local body shop paint the body for me.  Problem is, I didn't take pictures and had no idea how humpty dumpty went back together.  Luckily, I found JohnnieG through a local coin op place that referred him.  JohnnieG put it back together, painted the inside with hammertone, rebuilt the coin mech, and even wired a hidden button for free vend.  Awesome job. Thanks JohnnieG!!!  I owe you!!!

Used the machine trouble-free for years until I sold it last year for way too much money thanks to Moondawg and the Vendo company wanting it for their 50 year Anniversary party in Japan.  Cost them more to ship it to Japan than they paid for the machine!

« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 09:12:35 am by Slider-Bob » Logged

Restored Coke 81D
Restored Pepsi, 7up VMC 81
Restored Popperette
Restored Wayne 60
navychi

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2012, 02:55:49 pm »

Here is my first one and just finished it today, well I still need to put a price decal on it. But I am proud of it and it will supply my family, friends and I with cold beers for a long time I hope.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: