SMC Discussion Areas
May 20, 2024, 08:52:30 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What are your other interests/hobbies?  (Read 16561 times)
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2012, 01:12:16 pm »

I am obviously into Soda machines and coolers, but got started by collecting Signage and Vintage advertising, mainly Coca-Cola, and also Hamm's Beer (midwest brand) I had every motion sign that Hamms created at one time in my collection and then had to move so sold 75% of the Hamm's Stuff.. some awesome vintage advertising was made for that brand!
Also collect just old cool stuff that looks cool in my bar room, mainly 50's realted era, jukes, coin op games, and other decorator stuff..
I have a 1959 Corvette , and that got me into Old Gas Pumps a while back too, so I also dabble in them.. have 5 or 6 scattered around the yard,shop,barn..
also am into Radio Controlled stuff as well,, have always had nitro 1/10 scale monster trucks, cars and buggies,, now into Electric Monster trucks with the kids and recently got into the air with RC helicopters and just about 3 weeks ago Radio Controlled airplane.. lots of fun with that so far..

that is enough to keep me busy and happy for now...

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
Jacko1070
10 Cent Member

« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2012, 01:13:05 pm »

Excellent thought for a thread!!!

I have always had a "tinkering" interest, even when I was a young lad in the 70's I would play "CHIP's" and take my bike apart.   I am into drumming in my free time, used to be in a band with some of my high school buddies that toured up and down the East coast.  As a matter of fact, that's how I met my wife (my first groupie  Cool  Now being a child of the 70's and 80's I have the luxury of most things from my childhood becoming "hot" again.   Unfortunately I always have felt that I am more a product of an earlier generation as I have always been more attached to everything from the 50's and 60's.   Interested in most anything nostalgia related, but soda and candy machines are what are in the collection so far, unless you want to count my original milk glass globe from a KFC in the 60's
briandr1
25 Cent Member

« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2012, 04:27:34 pm »

Cool jako ive been into drums since I was 12, Also play in a band. I collect any old cool stuff beer brand churck key can openers. love old signs neon signs clocks. I also collect empty miller highlife bottels lol happydrinkers

selectivend 64 sa
2 cavalier 96
1975 bally hi deal em pinball machine
1920 wate and fate penny  scale
CoolCat
10 Cent Member

« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2012, 06:54:00 pm »

I've really enjoyed reading about all of the cool stuff everyone is doing beyond soda machines.  It's making me want to dabble in some new areas and revive a few of my other interests.  I really like your lighting tkaz!  It has a great look.

I also like to cook (and eat)... I have two smokers.  My big boy smoker is on its own trailer and was built out of a 500 gallon fuel tank while I built my "little" smoker out of a drum and welded it to a firebox made out of quarter inch plate steel... couldn't have done it without my father-in-law.  We built it in his shop in Georgia and I trailered it in a U-Haul back to Virginia.  I like to make jerky and to smoke Boston Butts, loins, chickens, turkies, etc.  If you haven't tried it... smoke a baking potato dusted in kosher salt and wrapped in foil.  I've also started making my own barbecue sauce from scratch.

David

C-51
Vendo 63
Popcorn Machine

...needs more toys.
GreginNM
Soda Jerks

« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2012, 06:01:03 pm »

Where to begin!  I have always been a collector since I can remember.  Started with coins, stamps, bottle caps, and license plates.  Later added antique bottles and skulls.  Still have a lot of this stuff boxed up, but now collect other stuff.  Soda machines, beer cans (over 3,000 of them), breweriana (mostly pre-pro), Victorian and mission furniture, 1920's/1930's radios (over 150 of them), Boy Scout patches, and old cars.  Currently have a 1959 Rambler Super and a 1951 GM Coach bus that has been converted into a camper.  It saw service as a city bus in Oklahoma City.

Some would say that I also collect kids, as we have 5 of those!    wow

I'm sure I'm forgetting something!  Cool thread!

Greg

Vendo: 39B, Standard
Jacobs: 35
Ideal: 35 DP
Westinghouse: WB-66-MD, WD-10, Junior, Standard
SelectiVend: S-48 DP x 2
SelVend: S-47 7up
MaineT
Soda Jerks

« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2012, 11:04:26 pm »

MaineT
I saved every sporting event ticket that I've ever gone to (we're talking several hundred) and the best of my ticket stubs are un ripped (shows our age with the ripping, as opposed to the bar scanning lol) tickets from the '91 baseball All Star game held in Toronto, as well as Unripped '92 and '93 World Series tickets (home games only) AND unripped first ever game held at Rogers Center (known as SkyDome when it opened) where the Blue Jays play.

I have all these unripped tickets because my friend from high school worked the gates, and when we passed thru, he pretended to rip them, then handed them back  biggrin  The turnstile would have a count, but in reality, they never looked at the number vs. tickets collected.

SO, your tickets, which are great by the way, although were not ripped, I am sure that they were used in one way or another.
P.S.  This year my Jays are going to finish ahead of you  smile  Im hoping for a wild card... NY is just too good again this year.

Great thread by the way!

Blue Jays? Are they still around?!?! I thought they dropped to the minor leagues, double A or something like that!!

I agree there were some devious ways to get the full tickets and still use them, but the most common way was an error or actually to not go to the game. There are a certain amount of people who die, miss flights, season ticket holders that get caught out of the country or town for work, etc. I did talk to someone who went thru a VIP gate and the singer for the anthem came so they looked at their tickets and did not rip theirs to push them thru, but they were ripping them or hole punching them at the VIP gate. (if you wanted them kept whole ONLY at the VIP gate they would punch it instead of tear it) And the VIP date was just for the corporate boxes, etc.

The current population report has 48 full tickets ever verified as authentic, out of over 49,000 in attendance there could be up to 500-1000 out there I guess. For some reason, there have been over 400 stubs graded and authenticated to date. Personally, I don't think it is worth the $25 per ticket fee plus shipping both ways to authenticate and grade a stub, but lots of people paid the $$.

I didn't request this set to be added, but when I saw someone did I found it necessary to load my tickets so he could see a real set!! Click the link below and there are pictures loaded.

http://www.psacard.com/PSASETREGISTRY/Composite.aspx?c=5965

Tim
cohammer
Soda Jerks

« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2012, 12:01:18 am »

I started out 43 years ago when I was 10 collecting bottles , I collected so many when I moved 12 years ago I just gave them away. As I look back now that might not have been very smart because in coke bottles alone I had 1800, but I moved on and have always collected signs and clocks and soda machines that is what I really like most.

Ideal 35 RC
v 23 deluxe
v 39
c 96
c 55 e
C 51 g
C 72
C96
V 27
Westinghouse JR ice chest
Westinghouse standard ice chest
Westinghouse master ice chest
early model Stoner jr.
Stoner theaters
Thanks Jeff
Bigfoot
10 Cent Member

« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2012, 12:22:00 pm »

I have a few vintage cars.
A special paint 68 Mustang 289 coupe and 2 68 Cobra Jets.
The special paint car is purple
I've only seen a couple in this color ever.
If anyone is "into" 68.5's please send me a PM.
TomFromJersey
Soda Jerks

« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2012, 08:13:19 pm »

It started over 15 years ago for me with Pinballs, then jukeboxes, arcade machines, neons, soda machines, and whatever else moved me. Now it's everything Grapette, coolers, calenders, clocks, anything. Then I branched-out with other flavors bottled by the Grapette Company, Mr. Cola, Botl-O, Sunburst, Flavette, Orangette, Lemonette, and Lymette. Still doing Jukeboxes, but sold most to aquire a 2007 Shelby GT500 convertible. There's also the 59 Ford I'm restoring. But coin-op stuff is just in my blood.
  TFJ

Grapette Quickold Standard
AMI I200 AMI H200
Wurlitzer 61, 600, 700, 750, 800, 1080, 2100
Packard Musical Bar
Chicago Coin BandBox
15 remote speakers and counting
A bunch of Grapette stuff
Some really cool vending machines
Justin W

« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2012, 08:26:40 pm »

If you are a true collector then I think you never collect just one thing but my main passions are WW1 and WW2 posters.  I have about 100 of them but I also have alot of paper relics from WW2 like leaflets we dropped, savings bonds,  ration stamps, training manuals, etc.  My wife recently put a stop to poster buying until I display some in the house......but framing is so damn expensive  censored I'd rather spend the money on new posters.

And the vending machines satisfy my need to use my hands and make things work, as well as being something from the past.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: