SMC Discussion Areas
May 20, 2024, 09:25:00 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: what are ya workin on?  (Read 6213 times)
indymanjoe

« on: August 24, 2011, 06:20:16 pm »

hey guys its that noobie again lol...just wandering/wondering what are ya workin on?also wondering how did you get into the hobby?me and the ms's kinda fell into it on vacation as she liked the gbv-50 sitting at the antique shop we went to in east tawas couple weeks ago.well we ended up with it and now we are excited about meeting some cool people and learning about something we never thought twice about LOl.already met a nice guy here.we are in our "mid 40's"kids allmost gone and found our first car 4yrs ago(not our actuall first car but close enough,mine was a 70 lemans and hers was a 70 or 71...age will do that lol)so... ive been working on that for a while as funds limit.meanwhile weve met some really cool people on the net,did our first Hot Rod Power tour this year with people we met on the net.went from Detroit to cocoa beach Fla back to Detroit in seven days!had a freakin blast!all pontiac people in our group,everyone stayed at our house the last leg of the journey..no issues at all!GREAT BUNCH! Bob mentioned chicago as a "bucket list to see"maybe we can all meet up and do it?anyways glad to be here and allways lookin to help.even if its pickin somethin off CL and meeting half way.(been there done that) LOL
Eric
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2011, 07:17:13 pm »

Welcome...
 I'm also in my mid 40s... ok... later-mid 40s.. kids are just starting out 1st,3rd & 8th grade)...
started out collecting a couple old signs, then bottles, then bottle carriers then bottle machines.
I love the off brand coolers, I don't have a huge collection (a $$$ thing) but I enjoy it, great
hobby, great group of folks here... They kinda started a traditon here in that we all meet for dinner
Thursday night before the Chicago show and talk about our finds and machines.
The restaurant is Portillo's (spelling?) great burgers and fries...
Show's in November hope to see you there.

Working on a couple small coolers...  7up and Orange Squeeze.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 09:12:42 pm by Eric » Logged

Eric

WANTED:
Embossed Quikold Standard
collecture
Soda Jerks

Tom

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2011, 07:59:27 pm »

Welcome Joe!
I am similar to Eric...little older than you both with two kids (K & 5th).
Bought a machine and a sign or two when I was 10-12, then nothing else until I got out of college. With the advent of eBay, all H broke loose and now I have 25-30 machines.
Only thing I am really working on now is work...hope to get something started soon.

Cav 27, 33, CS-55E-2, 72
S-48 DP
Ideal CC 35, Barq's 55
1930s DP Counter Cooler
Vendo Coin Changers (ea. style - orig w/ stand)
Vendo Junior (rest.), 23 Deluxe, 39D, 44, 56RT, 80SS, 81A (orig), 81D, 6 C.V.
VMC 27, 27A, 81D DP, 110 DP
Westy WC-42-T, WC-44SK, WD-5(2), WB60
Victor C-14
mznb1u
Soda Jerks

Those Who Stay Will be Champions!

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2011, 08:04:43 pm »

Welcome Joe!

As someone mentioned earlier, you will need to come to the next Michigan SMC MAfia meeting.  We have a good group in the big mitten!

drinking Tim down
Seven181
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2011, 08:10:48 pm »

Welcome Joe! A great group of people here! I started out about 15 years ago when I was working for Dr Pepper / 7up. Signs, then light up clocks, then machines. Had about 45 or more machines at one point. Now I just collect cup machines. The old theater style one's. Have some other cool things and currently working on a Vendo Milk machine for my two girls (4 and 3) and an Eco Islander Air meter for the garage. I am approaching 40, but love the hobby.

Brian

Brian  happydrinkers
Slider-Bob
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2011, 09:06:45 pm »

Hi Joe...It was good talking to you the other night. What I'm working on is collecting as many types of coin op machines as I can without my wife finding out about them!!!  (I'm sure I'm not alone, right guys?)

Just as she buys new clothes without telling me, and says "oh, I've had that dress forever!" when I ask "is that new?", I've learned to play that game with her as well... "a new machine, uh no, I bought that cooler years ago!".  The trick is getting the machine home and unloading it before she catches me in the act.  Once it's stored in the shed or garage, I'm good to go.  Someday soon (when I get more $) I'll fix them up, but for now, I've got a couple machines up and running that I use daily.  For me, I find as much pleasure in the hunt to find a machine and get a good deal, as I do enjoying a cold beverage from a nostalgic pop machine.  Plus, as you said, the whole SMC team is a great group of collectors who really know their stuff.  I'm really envious of some of they finds they stumble on!

Welcome to the site!  You'll be hooked in no time!

Restored Coke 81D
Restored Pepsi, 7up VMC 81
Restored Popperette
Restored Wayne 60
Pat Pixley
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2011, 10:28:33 pm »

Welcome to the site Joe  Cool It is a great site and a good bunch of people . And the Mich. mafia group  we are a good bunch also Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool
 bought  my first machine in 1996  and have not looked back , right now I'm setting on about 18 or 20  machines
 and thinning that down.

Working on  right now , A S&S 1400 (doing it as a Vernors) A 56 Transitional rusted out drn thing ( This is a clients and doing that as a Vernor's ) and Doing a Delf which belongs to a member here.

And as Tim said you will have to make the lunch in March.
indymanjoe

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2011, 06:15:27 am »

lookin forward to meeting up with you guys!guess i better be careful or i'll be filling my garage up in no time LOL
Ltransam
Soda Jerks

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2011, 08:21:52 am »

Welcome To the Site Indymanjoe .

Yep Lot of GREAT!!! People Here To Talk to And help from  when Needed . Fill Up your Garage .LOL  laugh  I stated 10 years ago I have ' O '  hum  20-24 Machines& Full size Coolers In My Garage & Basement  .

But What's Really Impressive Is That I also Have A couple Machines In Other Members Here Garages & Basements (Thanks Guys  laugh Larry & Pat ) .
In Storage
Once You Start You Can NOT stop !!!!!!

Glascock Counter Top
VMC 81 7Up
Vendo-110-81D-V-56 V-23
Jacobs Pepsi-56
Stoner Cookie &5 Pull Pastry& 180 Candy
Kelvinator FS-51(Canada)
Cavalier's C-55-E-C-55-D
Selmix Sprite
Selmix Pepsi on Draugh
davethebirdman
Soda Jerks

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2011, 08:31:15 am »

Hi Joe
I'm a little further away from the finds than most of you. Although I do occasionally turn up a rough diamond.

I started of with a Jukebox about twelve years ago, quickly followed by a Vendo 39. I found this site when I had a few problems with the machine and with the encouragement of some great people here I have managed to gather together a good few bits and pieces over the years. Including a few more coke and pepsi machines.

Vending machines of any type are my real love. I have about sixty on the walls and floor of my little room and probably another sixty out in the garage and store ready to do up one day.

I'm currently working on a couple of chocolate vendors. Have finished six or so other wall hangers that I'm hoping to either find room for or sell on closer to Xmas.

Have my eye on a nice piece that might or might not come off and have a National Cigarette Machine (thanks to a great member here for providing the ellusive bit) stripped ready for the painter.

Best part is the friendship I have here. Better than a any soda machine (well perhaps not a 56 light up).

Dave
tooth350
5 Cent Member

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2011, 09:06:45 am »

Welcome      I myself have only started collecting soda items the last 2 years, i have several coke,RC Cola and other Thermometers and i picked up a Caviler CS-80C coke machine that i restored 1 year ago and really enjoy it in my garage filled with beer and soda(all brands). My main collection is Budweiser Steins of witch i have about 150 and other budweiser collectables including the 1st bud btl and about 12 old serving trays and 12  clocks. Again welcome to the wonder world of collecting and remember there is no cure.
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2011, 09:15:10 am »

Welcome,
always nice to get new people in the hobby, and especially when we start to have a few more bucks in our pockets..
I'm 40 and have been collecting for about 18 years.. started out with signs and had a great collection of new old stock and mint original tin, porcelain, cardboard signs as well as clocks and lightups.. bought a Vendo 39 as my first machine "just to have one in the collection" and from there got hooked on machines.. Have had in my collection over the years over 60-80 soda machines, popcorn vendors, gas pumps... down to a more manageable number of around 20 now... but still buy, sell , restored and collect machines, pumps, popcorn, etc..
This is a great group of people, some I consider some very good friends even though we only meet once a year in Chicago, but talk/ email regularly... wealth of knowledge and just a fun place to visit , read , comment and get your fix of soda machines.

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
indymanjoe

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2011, 10:50:27 am »

Welcome      I myself have only started collecting soda items the last 2 years, i have several coke,RC Cola and other Thermometers and i picked up a Caviler CS-80C coke machine that i restored 1 year ago and really enjoy it in my garage filled with beer and soda(all brands). My main collection is Budweiser Steins of witch i have about 150 and other budweiser collectables including the 1st bud btl and about 12 old serving trays and 12  clocks. Again welcome to the wonder world of collecting and remember there is no cure.
  LOL i forgot about my bud stein collection,packed it up 15yrs ago to move and still havent unpacked it lol nothing really valuable,close to a 100 of em.I need to get rid of those so i can store more machine/car parts LOL
tooth350
5 Cent Member

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2011, 02:35:00 pm »

Oh Yeah the bud collection goes back to 1976   and some stuff back to the 40's and earlier
bumberjack.dk

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2011, 04:08:28 pm »

Hello

I'm 36 and from Denmark. Has collected Pinball machines for 15 years.
 and bumberjack.dk but have always found the soda machines exciting.
 So now I have a 35 Ideal for renovation and an Glasco 50

A little difficult to gather on these machines when you live in Denmark.
 So I'm glad for the help I can get the transportation and purchase machinery.

Lars

The only difference between men and boys is the price of their toys
Kilroy
Soda Jerks

« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2011, 08:22:24 am »

I've lightened the load of pop machine waiting to be worked on, may get back to the Vendo Junior I have dismantled, and have a Cav 96 ST that just cries fantasy machine, maybe a Hockey Town  project
On the other side of my life,jukeboxes  finishing a Seeburg 148 Trashcan, If you think chrome  replating prices are  tough, I priced veneer for a Wurly 1015. Ouch.

And several EM games that need a weekend or three to go through and get playing again.

"Restored they go for $6-7,000!!"
Member : Michigan Mafia
TomFromJersey
Soda Jerks

« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2011, 08:25:03 am »

Hi Joe and Welcome

I'm mid 40's with with 2 kids and 4 step-kids. My first machine was a vendo 110 I bought and restored 15+ years ago, it was to accesorize my pinballs and jukebox. Since then I lost the pinball bug, I've had atleast 30 or so, and got more into jukes. I've had several coke machines both restored and origonal, including some rare stuff like a Victor 1 door. I'm still heavily into the Jukes, and now into slot machines also. I've narrowed down my soda stuff to only Grapette items, and their spinoffs like Mr. Cola, and Botl-O. I currently have a friend working on a fantasy machine for me, an embossed VMC 27 on a stand. I've always got a few large candy and cigarette machines. I have atleast enough projects to keep me busy for 15 to 20 years.              The best thing about this group are the people, I've made some life-long friends here.    I really look forward to the Chicage Show when we all get together.

TFJ

Grapette Quickold Standard
AMI I200 AMI H200
Wurlitzer 61, 600, 700, 750, 800, 1080, 2100
Packard Musical Bar
Chicago Coin BandBox
15 remote speakers and counting
A bunch of Grapette stuff
Some really cool vending machines
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: