SMC Discussion Areas
May 03, 2024, 05:46:13 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wh junior  (Read 3669 times)
« on: January 27, 2003, 04:53:14 pm »

Hi all,
I have a Vendo electric junior that I want to restore. As I understand it, the tub inserts from the bottom. Is this correct? What is the tar-like substance on the underside? I assume I would make a cut through the "tar" and clear a path so the tub to fit through. Once ready to reassemble, is that "tar" readily available in order to seal it back up inside? Is there a substitute?
Secondly, what is the cardboard-like material around the compressor compartment? I looks like it covered half of each screen as well as inside of the front & back. Anyone know?
And lastly, did the drain have a plug inside or some sort of valve underneath?
If anyone has ever done one of these, please chime in here.
Tom
Jim
Administrator
Soda Jerks

#1 Soda Jerk!

« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2003, 07:19:31 pm »

Hello Tom,

The liner is removed from the bottom after the support brackets are removed. As far as the tar is concerned, I'm not sure other than it was utilized as a sealer of some kind...

For restoration purposes, I've done my best to keep the fiberboard in good shape so it can be reinstalled upside down. I do this because the underside is usually like new as long as there wasn't any leaks from the liner.

I recommend attempting to pay attention which way the liner came out so while re-installing, the screw pattern will line up and make things little easier to fasten the gasket material.

Most of the Juniors I've seen had some form of 1/4 turn valve that allowed the water to be drained on a regular basis.

My six cents,

Jim

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2003, 10:08:53 pm »

Jim,
Thanks for reply.
Is there no modern equivilent to the fiberboard? I have the larger front and back pieces, but only one of the grate pieces. The one I have is half the heighth of the grate and there are clips to hold it in place. The clips are present on both grates, so I assume that the fiberboard was originally on both grates. If my memory serves me correctly, I think it fit into the top half of one grate and the bottom half of the other. After 60+ years, the fiberboard is crumbly to say the least; however, it does appear have pretty square corners. I have not pulled any of them out yet, but they are not glued or anything as they are loose.
I can see the support brackets underneath, but did not notice any bolts or screws. The do not even look as though they stretch across the width of the cooler. How were they attached? They appeared to be underneath  the "tar", which I am guessing could be replaced by some type of roofing sealant.
Tom
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2003, 12:45:47 am »

I'm new at this, so take what I say with a grain of salt.  Having read your message and followed the thread, I venture the following.  Yes, fiberboard is still available.  As for the black stuff, it sounds like it is meant to coat, helping to insulate, hold the cold in, and prevent condensation on the outside of the box, prevent rust.  You might check with your local auto undercoating dealer for a product that will replace what you remove, something to insulate and possibly reduce noise.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: