SMC Discussion Areas
May 12, 2024, 12:16:53 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vendo 63 marquee wiring  (Read 12109 times)
joesquid
25 Cent Member

« on: June 30, 2005, 06:26:15 am »

I know this topic came up before but can't find it in the search.  Is it possible to exchange the flat, metal "coke" sign on a base model Vendo 63 for the lightup sign?  If so what mods need to be done?

Thanks!!

Eric "Joe Squid" Johnson

1955 Vendo 23 - awaiting restoration
1959 Westinghouse WC-44SK - awaiting parts
1967 Cavalier CS-64G - functional in house
1969 Vendo 63 - in restoration
johnieG
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

This is fine...everythings going to be OK....

« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2005, 06:42:59 am »

Yes, it is possible to convert it to a light-up sign, you'll need the light fixture & sign from a "doner" machine of course, and if your wiring harness doesn't already have the connector that supplies the sign with line voltage, then you can splice one into the jones sockets harness off of pins #1 & #2 to supply the new sign with 120 Volts A.C.

Spoon-feeding Newbies since 2001...Wink
Yeah..220,221 whatever it takes.
Remember, all it needs is a shot of Freon!
The Vendo V-83 is the '59 Edsel of the coke machine world. ;p
Spray painting does NOT restore a compressor
11 is louder than 10...
"Hope" is good, but it's not an action plan.
Kevin C
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2005, 08:40:53 am »

Hey

I am doing that same thing with my V-56.

Kevin

Vendo 63-C   On the job
Vendo 56   Going back together
Vendo 56-C    Waiting for rehab!
Vendo 126  Rough outside but loaded & operational
Vendo 110  Under repair
Ideal 55 -  **For Sale make offer
Glasco 55 -  Waiting
Royal 650  On the job
Lance Snack Machine - On the job
joesquid
25 Cent Member

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2005, 09:09:17 am »

Johnnie,
Thanks for the info!  Kevin, would you mind posting any problems you run into?  I doubt I'm the only one interested in this conversion!

Eric "Joe Squid" Johnson

Kevin C
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2005, 11:04:14 am »

Hello

I have had that little project spinning in my head for about 3 months. Right now the machine is in limbo waiting for me to paint it. So I have made a back panel insert to hold the light & purchased a new glass panel. I am still working on the way to mount the sign in the machine so that I can remove it if needed. I just received a VMC56 with a light up sign so I plan on comparing the two machines for ideas.

My coke machine work shop is hotter than h--- down here in the SC summer so work has been slow. I think for me the coke machine garage passes will be saved up for fall-winter.

Kevin

Vendo 63-C   On the job
Vendo 56   Going back together
Vendo 56-C    Waiting for rehab!
Vendo 126  Rough outside but loaded & operational
Vendo 110  Under repair
Ideal 55 -  **For Sale make offer
Glasco 55 -  Waiting
Royal 650  On the job
Lance Snack Machine - On the job
loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2005, 11:40:52 am »

Joe I have done this to two vendo 56's without having any doner parts. I had a frame made at Micheals from a metal picture frame. They actually have a frame there that is almost exactly the same cosmetically as the origional. I then used a light fixture from Home depot. I took the light apart and just used the insides. I wired it into the jones plug wires but I spliced in behing the door liner. I bought a replacement sign from funtronics. They are top quality and work great. I think they cost $38. But you can have one made at your local sign shop. Once it is done you can't tell that it isn't origional. Below are some pics of the process.
loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2005, 11:41:46 am »

sign on machine
loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2005, 11:50:02 am »

light fixture
joesquid
25 Cent Member

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2005, 11:18:32 pm »

Josh,
That's pretty darn ingenious!!  You're Macgyver's little brother aren't you?  I'll keep that in mind!!!  

We need to create another topic group of neat ideas like this.  One that I've dying to try is to find a way to light up the "refresh yourself" sign on the Vendo 144s (and similar).  What I thought of doing was purchasing a string of LED wafers from Sylvania to slide behind the sign.  They're literally wafer thin and should attach easily to the metal door with standard adhesives.  The LEDs run off 10vdc so require a step down transformer.  I'd wire the transformer into the vending motor circuit thus when activating the vending motor, the sign would light up for the duration of the vend cycle (similar to the "have a coke" sign on Cavalier 72s)  The problem is the LEDs and transformer are expensive (appx $250) and i just didn't have the time to do this before I transferred to my current duty station.  I do plan on getting another 144 to try out my theory.  Any other interesting ideas out there?

Eric "Joe Squid" Johnson

loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2005, 11:32:58 pm »

I have an idea. I know the person that owns the rights to electra illuminesence. This is what lights up timex indiglo watches. It is completely flat. He makes all kinds of things out of this stuff. In one of the batman movies Jim Carey wore a suit with lightup questionmarks on it as the riddler. Ricky made that suit. He can light up anything. If you were willing to send me the sign I would be glad to ask him if he would make something. It would be expensive but it would be done right.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: