SMC Discussion Areas
May 13, 2024, 12:48:15 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Decision to make on my USS-8-64 Clean up  (Read 11937 times)
JDAugie
5 Cent Member

« on: February 15, 2011, 11:16:20 pm »

Progressing on the cleanup of my USS-8-64.  I've scrubbed all the bottle shelves and most of the interior.  I know a number of the posts I've read say that people are spraying their shelves with Hammertone.  I've looked at Rustoleum's tech sheets and they recommend Not to use it over galvanized metals.  They recommend the Cold Galvanizing Compound.  Any thoughts?  I'm really leaning toward not painting them at all.  I feel that the bare galvanized steel looks more authentic.  The shelves certainly don't look the prettiest, even after scrubbing, soaking in CLR and even a little rubbing with 400 grit Emory paper on the tough spots.  They have a good deal of discolorization where there was oxidation, though no actual rust.  The same with all the interior except the bottom of the cooler.  It's all sound, just not pretty, and they don't really get seen except when open for loading.  Also there are logo marks from the Steel Mill on the interior and if I were to spray the interior to match the shelves, if I sprayed them, the logo's would get covered. Any opinions?

Thanks,
John
USS-8-64
VF-63
Williams Gorgar
mznb1u
Soda Jerks

Those Who Stay Will be Champions!

« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 01:27:40 am »

When I got mine I just cleaned everything up and loaded it with soda!  I enjoy the machine daily!  You can always do more restoration work down the road.

drinking Tim drinking
JDAugie
5 Cent Member

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 12:03:24 pm »

I would like to get it filled & running soon.  One other thing that I want to clean that may be difficult is the bottle door glass.  There is a significant amount of dirt and maybe some mildew between the layers of glass/plexi.  How difficult is it to take those layers apart.  It looks like the foam gasket has an adhesive holding the layers together.  Also It's missing the drip pan from underneath.  I'm looking for one or  something to fit in it's place.

Thanks,
John
USS-8-64
VF-63
Williams Gorgar
tkaz
Soda Jerks

tkaz

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2011, 12:14:14 pm »

The glass isn't too bad to take out, you can remove the screws and retaining clip on the handle side of the door, and the panes should angle out.  There is an adhesive foam, but all the ones that I have taken off, the adhesive is only on one side of the glass, so you can pull the panes apart and clean them.

JDAugie
5 Cent Member

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2011, 12:34:36 pm »

Thanks, I'll give it a try after I finish cleaning out the cooler.  I'm still working on cleaning and light sanding on the vending mech. I'll probably finish with that in the next couple evenings, though I keep getting distracted by working on my tax returns. Never enough hours in the day.

Thanks,
John
USS-8-64
VF-63
Williams Gorgar
JDAugie
5 Cent Member

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2011, 12:38:46 pm »

Hey Tkaz, I saw you were parting out a CSS-8-64, would those parts work in the USS?

Thanks,
John
USS-8-64
VF-63
Williams Gorgar
tkaz
Soda Jerks

tkaz

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2011, 12:42:02 pm »

They are the same, but I don't have them anymore

JDAugie
5 Cent Member

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2011, 12:47:35 pm »

OK Thanks

Thanks,
John
USS-8-64
VF-63
Williams Gorgar
cola62
Soda Jerks

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2011, 01:21:38 pm »

I used hammertone on my Vendo 63 shelves.  They look great and are holding up fine.  The hammertone dries to a hard finish and is really easy to use. 

Greg
JDAugie
5 Cent Member

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2011, 05:56:22 pm »

Do you have any pics?  Did you use the Rustoleum Hammertone? I might get a can and test it out.

Thanks,
John
USS-8-64
VF-63
Williams Gorgar
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: