SMC Discussion Areas
May 17, 2024, 05:06:16 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Early CS-64 Coin Door Question (Added link to specific model)  (Read 11113 times)
Pixel
Soda Jerks

« on: August 25, 2013, 02:44:58 pm »

On the later Cav 64 machines, the angled-inward panel where you insert coins is integrated into the coin door (it opens out with the door). Is that panel separate from the coin door on the earlier models?

EDIT: I can't get the image I was going to post small enough right now, so here's a link to the model I'm asking about.

http://www.colamachines.com/machines/squarecorner/cavalier/Cavalier-64-E/Cavalier-CS-64E.htm
« Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 03:06:20 pm by Pixel » Logged
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2013, 05:33:07 pm »

Yes, the white section of this coin door is separate from the red.

Glen
Pixel
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2013, 10:50:27 pm »

If I've understood correctly, the top of the coin door opens away from the machine along the green line in the picture below, while the coin entry bezel, slot, white area, and horizontal divider trim all remain in place on the machine. Is that correct?
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2013, 07:02:35 am »

Nope!

The white section just above the green line is bolted to the rest of the coin door and is separated by gold trim.

The strip you see above the door and just below the bottle, stays on the machine, everything under it swings open.

Glen
Pixel
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2013, 10:58:47 am »

Nope!

The white section just above the green line is bolted to the rest of the coin door and is separated by gold trim.

The strip you see above the door and just below the bottle, stays on the machine, everything under it swings open.

This is what I was thinking, (EDIT: What I meant was, I had thought the coin door included the bezel, but I did not think about it being two separate pieces bolted together.) but it was hard to tell with all the fancy trim. This type of coin door is not as plain as the later ones. Would it work on a later machine?
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 12:41:19 pm by Pixel » Logged
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2013, 04:27:25 pm »

I was about to say no to you, but I decided to first go measure the early and late model 64's.

The tape measure shows dimensions to be the same. Locking bar, coin return, bottle opener are all in the same place.  happydrinkers

The only difference I see is late hinge is longer.

If you are getting the one from Joey, it's priced very reasonable. Go ahead and try it and let us know how it fits.

Glen
Pixel
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2013, 06:22:36 pm »

The tape measure shows dimensions to be the same. Locking bar, coin return, bottle opener are all in the same place.  happydrinkers

The only difference I see is late hinge is longer.

If you are getting the one from Joey, it's priced very reasonable. Go ahead and try it and let us know how it fits.

I'm not in the market for a coin door at the moment, though I may need one in the future. Thank you for measuring- I'm very glad to hear they are interchangeable by period, provided the hinge isn't a problem.

Not to stray too far from the main topic, but do the Cav 64 and 96 of the same period/style use the same coin door, dimension-wise?
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2013, 06:42:17 pm »

Cavalier 64, 80 and 96 share a lot of parts.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 07:09:40 pm by MoonDawg » Logged

Glen
Pixel
Soda Jerks

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2013, 10:23:35 pm »

Wow, there's enough Cavaliers there to form a basketball team.  biggrin Are you restoring all those?

Looks like the coin doors of the same style are configured and sized the same. I would say the coin door on the 80 looks like a different size, but
I think that's just an optical illusion because of the machine's overall proportional differences with the 64.

I see a USS-64 trying to sneak into the right of one of those shots. If the camera panned over, would there be some woodgrain visible?

MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2013, 08:45:32 am »

NO WOODGRAIN!  biggrin

The early models 64 and 80 in the first pic, and the 96 in the second pic.....all have the same coin door.

I will be getting the early 96 in a few weeks, the late 96 was sold to Rocket Fizz as a store display.

The 80 will be used for parts and the 64 got painted and sits on display next to her ugly sister.

Glen
Pixel
Soda Jerks

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2013, 02:50:16 pm »

Those are cool machines. I've only seen one of the late pre-woodgrain 64's with the red and white coin door top up close once that I know for certain, and then only looked at it for a couple of minutes. It's a neat look, though the original red paint has a tendency to fade to sort of a radish color over time. That machine is less than five miles away, but the owner wanted $250 and something seems to have whacked the front end and damaged the door Sad. Have no idea if it runs. Can't really handle a project machine at the moment.

Do you have a photo of the late 96 looking at the front? If you don't, it's not a big deal.
Pat Pixley
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2013, 03:36:59 pm »

Here is a Cav64  that I did last yr  there great machines working on a 96 Right now  post a picture later  of that .

And here is one with wood grain .

« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 03:39:01 pm by Custom Soda Works » Logged
jholmgren
Soda Jerks

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2013, 03:42:25 pm »

That's a pretty machine Pat.  If my 96 looked like that I never would have sold it!

Embossed Coke Ideal 55 Slider
VMC-44
Vendo V-80 
Westinghouse WE-6
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2013, 04:47:25 pm »

You got that 64 looking better than an 81 Pat!

Glen
coke_and_stuff
Soda Jerks

« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2013, 06:01:45 pm »

That top 64 Looks very very nice. I just started on a 64 this week for a client. That is what I am shooting for.

Joey

Collector of nice original paint machines

Vendo 81 B, C, D
VMC 81 Pepsi, 7up, RC, Generic
6CV Coke, RC, Pepsi
VMC 110 RC
Vendo 39
Jacobs 26
Mills 47
Selectivend 64 7up NOS
Plus 30-50 parts and project machines
Pixel
Soda Jerks

« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2013, 08:03:03 pm »

jawdrop

That red-and-white is fantastic! It looks like it could've rolled off the Cavalier assembly line yesterday! Bravo!

It really is a shame these old square top designs aren't used anymore.  down

The woodgrain 64 is also excellent. I've seen a pretty wide variety of patterns on these machines. I wonder where they got them all.

The red and white must have an internal hinge for the primary door. Are those bolt heads showing through the left side near top and bottom where the hinges mount to the cabinet interior?
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2013, 07:48:58 am »

This post got me curious as to if the early and late coin doors were really interchangable......and yes they are, I tried it.

I removed a door from a late model woodgrain parts machine, painted it and modified it as to eliminate the coin bezel and window.

(I have discovered that many of my customers prefer a freeplay machine so vending will be done with the coin return knob).

Yesterday another woodgrain 64 came in, and instead of parting it out like I have been doing for many years, I switched the coin doors.

Wow, woodgrain machines have not been getting enough respect!  happydrinkers

Glen
Pat Pixley
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2013, 09:40:13 am »

WOW !!    That looks great Glen  I like the coin bezel  ssomething to think about on the US 64 I have .  smile
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2013, 10:00:28 am »

Thanks Pat.

I forgot to mention that the white Plexiglas sign and it's clear cover can be slid out when the door is open
and personalized for birthdays or holidays.

Glen
Pixel
Soda Jerks

« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2013, 06:16:14 pm »

This post got me curious as to if the early and late coin doors were really interchangable......and yes they are, I tried it.

I removed a door from a late model woodgrain parts machine, painted it and modified it as to eliminate the coin bezel and window.

(I have discovered that many of my customers prefer a freeplay machine so vending will be done with the coin return knob).

Yesterday another woodgrain 64 came in, and instead of parting it out like I have been doing for many years, I switched the coin doors.

Wow, woodgrain machines have not been getting enough respect!  happydrinkers

It's just a theory, but I'm inclined to think the real problem with the woodgrain machines is that most (but not all) of them had an almost all white left side, including the bottle door. Leaving the wood grain as the most interesting visual region directly on the front of the machine, except for the marquee. With one's eyes drawn away from the white to the woodgrain, they become rather bored with the faked pattern quickly, making them critical of it. Also, the mostly-red marquee and it's close association with Coca-Cola prompts one to expect red elsewhere on the front, leaving one disappointed with all of so much white.

By placing that coin door on a machine with a red left side and white bottle door, you've balanced the visual interest of the front better. I suspect certain shades and patterns of woodgrain will complement a red-and-white front very well.
Pixel
Soda Jerks

« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2013, 04:01:09 pm »

Looks much better than the "official" white left-side/woodgrain combo to me.

One thing that's been bothering me. The upper section of the woodgrain coin door (the silver top part housing the coin entry bezel) looks taller than the same section on the earlier style, yet the coin doors are pretty much the same total height. It looks like the lower section might be the same height on each. Am I missing something? Is it an optical illusion?

Another thing I meant to ask. The metal divider on CSS bottle doors, are the glass panes divided underneath, or was that just Coca-Cola's marketing idea?
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 04:05:41 pm by Pixel » Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: