SMC Discussion Areas
May 02, 2024, 11:57:43 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wet insulation/rust on a vendo 63  (Read 3724 times)
« on: April 13, 2004, 10:47:53 am »

I just aquired a Vendo 63 with a rust-thru spot on the left rear even with the shelf that separates compressor section from upper liner. There is also rust-thru in the same area on the "roof" of the shelf over the compressor. I assume this was caused by a failure of the putty glob in that corner of the upper liner. I can deal with the damage, but can the insulation be dried out?
johnieG
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

This is fine...everythings going to be OK....

« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2004, 01:17:22 pm »

Yes the insulation may be dried out, I've used a magnetic heater that attaches from below the pan ( it is actually an oil-pan heater for a automobile, used to pre warm the oil pan on sub zero nights!) but if the insulation was soaked, it may have compacted/settled down away from the inner liner/tube of the refrigeration cabinet, & it may have an air-gap that could allow condensation to form, (starting the whole process over again), if possible you can remove the plastic "breaker-strip" that covers the edges of the liner between it and the outer chassis, this would allow you to remove the old insulation & insert new, as well as inspect the inside area between the liner & bottom pan for more rust damage, & apply some stop rust product like POR paint or the like, Yep you gotta keep the drain hole clear & the corners & seams caulked/puttied to keep it dry! do it now or you'll have spend some big bucks to get a panel fabricated & MIG welded like one I had...  Down with "belt-line rust out"! (that's what I call it anyway). I've walk away from many machines because it looked like it was ready to fall in half if you snezzed at it!  you'll want to get in there anyway to get some air in there to help dry it out. you'll be suprised at how long wet fiberglass can hold water in the middle!  hope it help & let us know what you find...JohnieG

Spoon-feeding Newbies since 2001...Wink
Yeah..220,221 whatever it takes.
Remember, all it needs is a shot of Freon!
The Vendo V-83 is the '59 Edsel of the coke machine world. ;p
Spray painting does NOT restore a compressor
11 is louder than 10...
"Hope" is good, but it's not an action plan.
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2004, 01:33:17 pm »

Many thanks for your prompt reply. I'll try drying out first - then see what's necessary to do. Right now when I stick my finger in, it's a mess of wet fiberglas and rust particles. Damage seems confined to a 6 inch stretch along the "beltline".
Once the fiberglas is dried, do I need to cover the hole once I cut away the rusted metal, or can I cover the cutout with a louver? I'm trying to avoid getting into disassembly and welding.

Again thanks,

Paul
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: