SMC Discussion Areas
May 16, 2024, 07:26:50 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Manley popcorn  (Read 3620 times)
cohammer
Soda Jerks

« on: October 04, 2015, 07:38:05 pm »

Been looking for a popcorn machine and ran across this table top Manley any idea what I should offer ?

Ideal 35 RC
v 23 deluxe
v 39
c 96
c 55 e
C 51 g
C 72
C96
V 27
Westinghouse JR ice chest
Westinghouse standard ice chest
Westinghouse master ice chest
early model Stoner jr.
Stoner theaters
Thanks Jeff
Slapshot42
Soda Jerks

Jared

« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2015, 10:28:22 pm »

It's probably only on a table because it's missing the base. The Manley poppers are great but they take up a huge footprint and are usually 220 Volts for a power supply.

If you are looking for just a general use popper I'd look for a more modern type like a Gold Medal 6oz or 8oz kettles .  

Those large commercial poppers are designed for like 4 or 5 pops which ends up being a motherboard of popcorn!!

http://www.manleypopcornmachine.com/Buying%20&%20Selling%20Machines.htm
Larry
Grady
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2015, 06:43:04 am »

Cool website.

A lot of stuff.
Slapshot42
Soda Jerks

Jared

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2015, 12:42:50 pm »

It's probably only on a table because it's missing the base.

I stand corrected apparently there are some countertop models.  Just make sure that model is one I've seen them in the wild in different sorts...
Ross
10 Cent Member

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2015, 05:44:03 pm »

Manley has made table top (or counter top) models going back to the 1930s when they used the Burch name.

They have made large and small models of both their cabinet and counter top models, plus super large machines (Stadium models) for large venues.  The large cabinet machine would typically be 3 feet wide, 2 feet deep, and 6 feet tall, and weigh around 200 pounds.  They are on casters, so you can move them around fairly easily on one level (stairs are another story).  The large machines would generally have a 12 or 16 ounce kettle in them.  The size of the kettle indicates the amount of popcorn that is popped in one batch.  For example, a 12 ounce kettle uses 12 ounces of popcorn per batch.  These kettles generally require a 220 volt circuit.

The smaller machines would generally be about 30 inches wide, 20 inches deep, and about 5 feet tall, and would weigh substantially less.  In most cases, these machines would have an 8 ounce kettle and would run on a 110 volt circuit.  They still draw a fair amount of current so you don’t want many other devices on a 15 amp circuit with your popcorn machine.  A dedicated circuit would be best.

The larger machine have the advantage of heating up very quickly and have a very fast recovery time (the amount of time it takes for the kettle to get back to popping temperature after a batch of popcorn).  They also have a larger kettle.  So, you can produce a large amount of popcorn very quickly.  The obvious drawbacks to the large machine is the size and the need for a 220 volt circuit.

An 8 ounce kettle is a very nice size.  One batch will make a very large bowl of popcorn—generally enough for a small family to eat while watching a movie.  My 8 ounce kettle will generally take about 12-15 minutes to get to the proper temperature for the initial batch.  It then requires about 3 minutes in-between batches.

My larger M-47 will get to initial temperature in about 8-10 minutes, and has a 60-90 second recovery time for the next batch.  If I run this machine continuously, I can’t bag the popcorn fast enough.  This machine will feed a large number of people.

In general, don’t worry about the kettle being too large.  If you buy your popcorn, oil, and salt in bulk, it will cost less than 50 cents in ingredients per 12 ounce kettle.  I usually pop extra and put it into plastic bags.  As long as you keep the bag sealed it is good for over a week.

The machine in the photos, is a Manley counter top model.  The one piece plastic top indicates that it was made around or after 1960.  The style of the cabinet plus the top indicates that this machine would have been made around 1960.  It is difficult to tell from the photos, but I would guess that this machine has an 8 ounce kettle in it—possibly a 12 ounce kettle.  One of the biggest issues is the plastic top—make sure it is not broken or cracked.  Finding a replacement plastic top is difficult.  As with any collectible, condition (including does it work) is the biggest determinate of price.

By the way, the Manley kettles were of excellent quality.  To get an equivalent (in terms of quality) new popcorn machine today would probably run you close to $1,000 for an 8 ounce kettle.

So, if you are looking for a popcorn machine to go with you vintage soda machines (I would say machine, but does anyone on this board only have 1 soda machine—LOL), you should consider one of the smaller Manley machines.  If you have the space and don't mind the 220 volt circuit go with one of the larger machines.  There are several out there at good prices.

If you have any questions on Manley or Burch popcorn machines, fell free to contact me.

Westinghouse WE-6
Vendo V-110
cohammer
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2015, 07:32:49 pm »

I have not seen the machine in person only in pictures but my first thought was a machine missing the bottom cabinet . Guess I will wait and see how good it is . Thanks for the help but I will probably wait on a cabinet model .
« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 07:37:21 pm by cohammer » Logged

Ideal 35 RC
v 23 deluxe
v 39
c 96
c 55 e
C 51 g
C 72
C96
V 27
Westinghouse JR ice chest
Westinghouse standard ice chest