SMC Discussion Areas
May 17, 2024, 05:23:30 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Found a multiplex today  (Read 14270 times)
kbareit
Soda Jerks

« on: September 01, 2012, 03:24:38 pm »

I was picking up a cooler today and found this Multiplex Meteor dispenser. Dont know a lot about it and would appreciate any help on what is needed to make it work.
                        Thanks Ken

Cavalier 27
Jacobs 26
Ideal 55 Hires root beer, 7-Up restored
Ideal 55 Pepsi, Barqs original
Double cola,Squirt,Nesbitts,Canada Dry on deck
3 Westy 60's
3 Westy 78's
Cav 72 original
S&S 1400 WD2 Pepsi
Stoner Junior
johnieG
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

This is fine...everythings going to be OK....

« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2012, 07:55:28 pm »

A CO2 source with a 2 stage regulator, a carbonator , a potable water source, some plumbing bits & pieces   a cleaning / sanitization solution, ICE* & soda-syrups,

* this is an Ice cooler fountain head.

Spoon-feeding Newbies since 2001...Wink
Yeah..220,221 whatever it takes.
Remember, all it needs is a shot of Freon!
The Vendo V-83 is the '59 Edsel of the coke machine world. ;p
Spray painting does NOT restore a compressor
11 is louder than 10...
"Hope" is good, but it's not an action plan.
Slapshot42
Soda Jerks

Jared

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2012, 11:29:53 pm »

A CO2 source with a 2 stage regulator, a carbonator , a potable water source, some plumbing bits & pieces   a cleaning / sanitization solution, ICE* & soda-syrups,

* this is an Ice cooler fountain head.

So everything but the kitchen sink?  laugh
davethebirdman
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2012, 12:43:50 am »

A very nice display piece.. But too much effort to have it working in a home methinks...
stuntpilot
10 Cent Member

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2012, 05:20:20 am »

Give me an hour and I would have that thing dispensing pop. drinking

It doesn't get any easier to make pop than this.

Interesting little tidbit about this dispenser from Multiplex.
During production of this model there were around 3,000 or so units that got shipped without valve mounting screws, (very important part to keep the serviceman dry during service)
I was warned about this by a higher up at Coca-Cola but forgot until I went into an old Walgreens with a soda fountain and sprayed several customers with soda water.
In order to get to the valves you have to remove the chrome piece on the bottom and then remove the gold piece to access the valves, when you do this under pressure the chrome piece was the only thing holding the valves in place and when you removed it all three valves blew out right toward you and the customers, draining all the syrup too. It's really quite a comedy show as there's nothing you can do other than shut off the water and go get a mop. biggrin
kbareit
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2012, 04:49:23 pm »

Here are picks of the valves and inlet.

Cavalier 27
Jacobs 26
3 Westy 60's
3 Westy 78's
Cav 72 original
S&S 1400 WD2 Pepsi
Stoner Junior
stuntpilot
10 Cent Member

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2012, 05:22:17 am »

Ken,
     The first thing you need to do is find a 1/2" FPT stainless steel fitting to connect to the water inlet line on the dispenser.

Go ahead and hook up plain water and turn it on so you can test for leaks, if the valves hold pressure without leaking then we can explore going further toward hooking this machine up.

If you have leaks we probably have a problem as parts are extremely scarce.

You can see there is two sides to the valve, water side and syrup side. The side with the silver disc with the hole in it is for metering syrup, the other side is where the water comes out.

You will also see two screws which hold the valve, if you remove these the valve will pull straight out toward you as it's sealed with o-rings.  Once you have the valve in your hand it's easy to disassemble and clean.

Let me know how it goes.
stuntpilot
10 Cent Member

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2012, 02:51:40 pm »

Ken,
     Your probably going to have some difficulty finding that 1/2" fitting.  Try this e-bay guy, he sells new fountain parts for coke and pepsi.

You will most likely have to use a 1/2" FPT to 3/8" male flare fitting to get what you need on the soda inlet for the dispenser, remember it has to be stainless, don't use brass or copper which is readily available or you will be sorry. help  Now if you want to use the machine for non-carb drinks then brass or copper would be fine and you would not need a carb either.

He also has all the various stainless fittings you need to complete your system.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Restaurant-Catering-/11874/i.html?_catref=1&_fln=1&_ipg=&_ssn=john102561&_trksid=m194&ssPageName=STRK:MEFSRCHMODX:SRCH
stuntpilot
10 Cent Member

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2012, 03:03:25 pm »

I found the fitting you need but unfortunately it comes attached to something else. The stainless part on the end is what you need.  At least you have a picture. biggrin

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BACKFLOW-PREVENTER-Check-Valve-with-Vent-line-/150797734945?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item231c3ed421
kbareit
Soda Jerks

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2012, 04:36:21 pm »

Thanks, I should be able to get the fitting at the plumbing supply house. What size pump do I need for this system? I found a local source that has used parts for sale.

Cavalier 27
Jacobs 26
3 Westy 60's
3 Westy 78's
Cav 72 original
S&S 1400 WD2 Pepsi
Stoner Junior
stuntpilot
10 Cent Member

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2012, 03:56:12 am »

Not sure what pump your talking about.

If your talking about the carbonator I'll send you a link for a good e-bay one which would be the correct size or you could get it locally at an auction.

I'm not sure if I'm correct on the size of that fitting, it might not be 1/2" it is the same size as the regulator threads on the Co2 tank.
I think in the picture I posted that fitting could be 3/4" x 3/8 flare
stuntpilot
10 Cent Member

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2012, 04:05:59 am »

Here's the preferred carbonator to buy, bulletproof, high quality and will last a lifetime if not abused.

Don't buy this one as it's way overpriced, you should be able to find a decent used one for $150 but you have to be careful as they would need maintenence if they sat idle for too long or were left in freezing temps.
Let me look at the pics before you buy it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/McCanns-Carbonator-w-Backflow-Preventer-115V-32oz-1-3HP-5-YEAR-WARRANTY-/400268343663?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d31da396f
kbareit
Soda Jerks

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2012, 04:15:48 am »

Thanks for the carbonator info, I run across abandoned systems every now and then so I'll keep an eye out and try to pick one up.

Cavalier 27
Jacobs 26
3 Westy 60's
3 Westy 78's
Cav 72 original
S&S 1400 WD2 Pepsi
Stoner Junior
kbareit
Soda Jerks

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2012, 06:30:45 pm »

Found a carbonator and didn't realize I carry the pump assemblies on my truck for glycol chillers on draft sytems. I did find that one of the dispensing valves is broken. Any help locating one would be welcome.
                                                               Thanks, Ken

Cavalier 27
Jacobs 26
3 Westy 60's
3 Westy 78's
Cav 72 original
S&S 1400 WD2 Pepsi
Stoner Junior
stuntpilot
10 Cent Member

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2012, 05:28:15 am »

That looks like a nice Booth carbonator, it will work fine.

See the water pump on the front with the name Procon on it?  Make sure that plate is perfectly flat and not bulged out, if it's not flat it was frozen with water inside and probably won't work.

Also don't plug it in and run it without water you will destroy the graphite vanes inside the pump. I guess that you should know that if you work with them. biggrin

Remove the pump mounting strap and pull the pump to test the motor.

Many moons ago I had a new valve body, I'll have to check to see if I still have it, I doubt it though. I most likely left it at the Coke plant when I left the company.

I'm an electrician and were wiring a new brewery that has a large glycol chiller that's about the size of a small car. Interesting that your involved in that.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 05:30:16 am by stuntpilot » Logged
kbareit
Soda Jerks

« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2012, 05:08:32 am »

I had it hooked up to water to test and it pumps fine. I wanted to ensure tank and pump had no leaks .

I just completed installing the refrigeration for a new line at a local candy maker that included a chiller, it holds 200 gallons of glycol and of course it's on the roof.I added a spigot on the return line and pumped it in from below. They wanted to lift the barrels on the roof and pour it in.

Cavalier 27
Jacobs 26
3 Westy 60's
3 Westy 78's
Cav 72 original
S&S 1400 WD2 Pepsi
Stoner Junior
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print